HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,039 Posts
I think i want one of these lol

I dont see Blade coming out with a flybarless version anytime soon though (I hope I am wrong). I would bet the next fbl model they release will be 120 sized.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:15 AM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Here's a video of the maiden outing of my Blade 450. I just have to alter the gain with that slight tail wag. So far so good though and a nice step up from the smaller micros.

Blade 450 3D Hovering Maiden outing LMAC (4 min 29 sec)
mjc1970 is offline Find More Posts by mjc1970
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,245 Posts
Wind handling

How does B 450 3D handle wind? Let's say 10-15 mph? Also any mechanical issue with servos since its product release? How does it compare to T-Rex 450?

I am in process of shopping for 450 RTF heli.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:44 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I've flown it in 10-15 winds without an issue.

I have a Trex 450 also and for the money, the Blade 450 is the best choice. The stock servos have been fine for me, my only repairs have been from dropping it too hard and bending the feathering shaft.

The only caution is that this bird requires high discharge LiPos. My 25C batteries came out HOT or puffed while I was awaiting the 40C ones from HK. The 40C's come out warm and are perfect for the Blade.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:26 AM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
I've also flown it in maybe 15-20 mph winds. I noticed slight changes in elevation but nothing uncontrollable. I just make sure I have sufficient altitude just to be on the safe side. I also mostly fly scale so can't comment on 3d maneuvers with wind. Also never owned a T Rex so can't compare.
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I also fly mine mostly scale. I have heard that 3D is decent with the B450, even on stock.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
I've flown it in 10-15 winds without an issue.

I have a Trex 450 also and for the money, the Blade 450 is the best choice. The stock servos have been fine for me, my only repairs have been from dropping it too hard and bending the feathering shaft.

The only caution is that this bird requires high discharge LiPos. My 25C batteries came out HOT or puffed while I was awaiting the 40C ones from HK. The 40C's come out warm and are perfect for the Blade.
Do you fly 3d??

I just fly the thing around the yard, figure 8s and slow circuits. Still learning and my batteries come out warm. I'm running $13 turnigys from HK and they do fine.

re wind, It is amazingly unaffected by wind. If you are coming off of a FP heli, the difference will amaze you. A steady wind can pretty much just be ignored.
I've crashed 3 times. I've now got a little vibration. Not sure if its the feathering shaft or the main. Either way, they're cheap. Its held up very well considering one of the crashes. I did strip servo gears on one servo in one crash. I bought a replacement servo for $15ish. I've got some replacement gear sets on backorder. They were cheap. Like $2.50 each. So I bought 3 sets. Then I'll always have a refurbed fresh servo ready if there is a problem.

Don
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:24 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
Don,

No, I only do some rolls and loops and mostly scale flying.

Good thought about the gears... I should buy a couple sets and have them ready.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
25 Posts
blade 450 one way bearing miss fit

Gday team has anybody had a problem with the blade 450 one way bearing being incorrectly fitted. On my 450 the main gear is very high in the opening when viewed from the side there is only 0.6mm when new, between the gear and the body above, it looks way too close.

When I disassembled the main gear from the shaft, the gears were hard to remove from the body as the assembly is so tall. This is because the part (blh1649 bearing inner sleeve) has a cross hole for the main shaft bolt this holes position does not allow for the correct fitting of the sleeve into the bottom gear, it is long by 0.76mm you can see the gap without dis-assembly.

The result is that the end float (weight of heli)is taken by the one way bearings outer race engaging on the middle main shaft bearings shield.

This forced fit also results in the plastic body surrounding the middle bearing being worn away to suit. The steel from the disintegrating bearings is spread to the motor pinion resulting in extreme pinion wear.

I imagine that the arrangement should work like this, with the weight of heli taken on the lower shaft bolt by the wwb inner sleeve transmitted to the middle shaft bearings inner race and then the body housing. this middle bearing should be able to take the end load (weight of heli).

So there you have it, the plastic burning smell goes away after a few batteries and the heli flies fine, you will see blackish partials building up on the top of the spokes in the main gear and the heat generated will cause the bearing to rust on the outside and eventually the bearing will fail and possibly the failure may cause the bearing to spin in its housing damaging the body.

This is the situation as I see it as a toolmaker / school of life engineer OEM owner operator. My supplier is checking it out now. Any input gratefully received.
Paulsnowycreek is offline Find More Posts by Paulsnowycreek
Last edited by Paulsnowycreek; Sep 13, 2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling oops
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Norge, Østfold, Moss
Joined Jan 2001
282 Posts
Blade 450 15 flights or so

I have the Blade 450 and I am learning it. It is the best heli I have flown in its class right out of the box, period. I have had a few from the diminutive mSR and mCPx to large 11 lbs helis. I am testing some easy 3D stuff like looping and rolls. Today it was very windy like 10 to 15 mph. The Blade 450 behaves really good even under such conditions.

Conclusions so far:

Gyro and servoes: Really good stuff.

Mechanics and rotor blades: Superb for an out of the box heli. No upgrades needed.

Beginners: Keep the rotor rpm low. The Blade 450 is really nice in low wind conditions.

Advanced pilots: Go for a fairly high rotor rpm and 10 to 20% dual rates and work from there.

In short: Follow the manual, which is good by the way.
Sture Smidt is offline Find More Posts by Sture Smidt
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
some fast flippy flight... My setup. 100% rates, no DR, no Expo, just straight full control and lots of throw!

Blade450 3D Fast Flipping & Tricks! (1 min 23 sec)
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Last edited by earthling1984; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Nice video!
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:36 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Just thought i'd share with you guys also.

I created a Blade 450 bible.

blade450bible.com

It's still a work in progress, but there's already a ton of nice info in there.

Feel free to comment and let me know if you want me to add stuff in there.

Thanks,
Thalios is offline Find More Posts by Thalios
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:50 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,485 Posts
Nice job on the bible Thalios. I just went to get a dx6i for the kid, and ended up buying a blade 450. I used to have a t-rex 450 pro, and blade 400. I sold my helis to fly 3d airplanes. now I am into both again. I don't plan on flying the blade for awhile. I am still building my planes. I just wanted to drop by and say hi. I'll be back......
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
I just went to your site and it directed me to helifreak. I think its a mistake to build the bible via a thread on a forum.

You lose control of the content. A user needs to wade through a bunch of posts to get to what they want.

If you decide that everything will be located in your first post, then you limit yourself to one page.

There are plenty of threads here and on helifreak with massive amounts of information. But its burried in hundreds of pages and thousands of posts.

The only other way I could see it being as good as a dedicated site is if the moderators somehow set it so that you were the only one who could post in that thread.

Anyway. I'm telling this because I'm sure you've ammassed a ton of great information and I'd really hate to see it mixed in with a bunch of posts that just make it harder to find the info you've assembled.

Don
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei