HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 PM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Discussion
Official Blade 450 3D owners and support thread

Just got mine today and didn't see an owner's thread so here it is. Can't wait to get mine set up and maidened. If anybody has already maidened the 450 3D please post your flight reports and comments.
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Ripon, UK
Joined Apr 2010
163 Posts
Mine came through this morning. Looks a tidy set up, I have not had much time to have a good look but seems a little meatier than the B400.
Got the RTF set up ..... The DX6i has three blade model progs. The intermediate on model 1 advanced on 10, a copy of 1 on model 9.

I thought there might be some YouTube vids of unboxing etc ...... Nothing yet.
Robdd1 is offline Find More Posts by Robdd1
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Just picked mine up at HobbyHobby

I was told of a bulletin concerning programing. Here's the link

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=BLH1650
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
Dublin, Ca
Joined Nov 2007
127 Posts
have mine too. dyed some parts yellow and red...hovered it yesterday, been flyin mcpx for awhile, still a little scared of 450....my buddy picked one up too and is a good pilot....he will be assisting me so i have limited early arrivals....
Joe in Dublin is offline Find More Posts by Joe in Dublin
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:18 PM
dont play with rc anymore
United States, MO, St Joseph
Joined Feb 2005
1,249 Posts
micronut is offline Find More Posts by micronut
Last edited by micronut; Jul 01, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:33 AM
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
ALERT, yes gang immediately go to the HH website and download the change of instructions. I set mine up per the manual and lost control, my 450 3d was destroyed on the maiden, absolutely lost control. I'm going to call Horizon about this.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:56 AM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Pay special attention to the swash mix settings.
I use a DX6I and did not see the little minus sign besides 2 of the numbers and had them set to positive values.
I was scratching my head for 3 hours. Couldn't understand why I was not getting any right aileron movement and only negative pitch.
I was just about to go back to the LHS when I re-read the settings and caught my mistake. Good thing I was just revving it up in my basement.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYlawyer View Post
ALERT, yes gang immediately go to the HH website and download the change of instructions. I set mine up per the manual and lost control, my 450 3d was destroyed on the maiden, absolutely lost control. I'm going to call Horizon about this.
Exactly what was it about the setup that caused you to lose control?
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Jul 05, 2011, 01:18 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
I am so surprised that this thread has not got much action.

This is a really nice heli. It appears to be a quality build and is the biggest one in my fleet. The largest ones I have are the 120SR, Free Spirit, and Novus 125FP. The only CP I have is the MCP.

I am hoping to maiden it this weekend although I must admit having alot of apprehension. It looks and sounds intimidating when it spins up and I dread plowing it into the ground on the first flight. But I'm like that with all my new purchases and usually make out ok.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ripon, UK
Joined Apr 2010
163 Posts
It does seem a quiet thread, mine up and running and getting some good basic training in. I have found it very stable and set up perfectly from the box.

A lot more stable compared to my B400 but that has had some knocks!
Robdd1 is offline Find More Posts by Robdd1
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:22 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
The bulletin was about the settings for the DX7 and DX8 and there were several channels that needed either reversing or non reversing compared to what was in the manual. Man it sucks for the people who used the settings in the book and did not test the movement of the sticks before maiden. I'd be really peeved.

One thing they changed as well but did not make a big thing about it was on the DX6I Gyro rate setting. In the manual it says 0:77.5% 1: 76.0%

In the bulletin they now have it as 0:73.5% 1: 72.0%. I don't know how much a diff it makes but I changed it to the bulletin settings.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:55 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
How did you make out with Horizon. What was the severity of the damage?
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:56 AM
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerm View Post
How did you make out with Horizon. What was the severity of the damage?
They told me to send it back for replacement. Although I'm a little peeved I have to pay to send it back seeing as it was their error. I did test the sticks before flew, The main problem I had was the throttle hold would not shut down, I might have saved it if I could have cut it off. As it was after it hit it did the "funky chicken" and destroyed the entire head. Everything from the main shaft up will have to be replaced and the tail boom is bent. The settings on throttle hold were in the positive range so I guess that was the problem. This is only my second CP heli after the MCPX which I having been flying for 2 months and am quite good with.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:19 AM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
They told me to send it back for replacement. Although I'm a little peeved I have to pay to send it back seeing as it was their error. I did test the sticks before flew, The main problem I had was the throttle hold would not shut down, I might have saved it if I could have cut it off. As it was after it hit it did the "funky chicken" and destroyed the entire head. Everything from the main shaft up will have to be replaced and the tail boom is bent. The settings on throttle hold were in the positive range so I guess that was the problem. This is only my second CP heli after the MCPX which I having been flying for 2 months and am quite good with.
That sad to hear. I guess you won't have a replacement for a few weeks.
Hope the next one will be much better with te revised settings.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:54 AM
etobicoke
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
They told me to send it back for replacement. Although I'm a little peeved I have to pay to send it back seeing as it was their error. I did test the sticks before flew, The main problem I had was the throttle hold would not shut down, I might have saved it if I could have cut it off. As it was after it hit it did the "funky chicken" and destroyed the entire head. Everything from the main shaft up will have to be replaced and the tail boom is bent. The settings on throttle hold were in the positive range so I guess that was the problem.
There was a guy down at th local park the other day with a .30 nitro. Almost the exact same thing happened to him. His heli was doing the chicken all over ground. Man this thing was gouging deep holes in the ground. Anyhow his hold wasn't working either and he couldn't cut his throttle, he ended up stomping his feet all over it like he was putting out a fire. After talking to him, he was telling me that he was totally new and didn't know anything about setting this thing up, said he just got it used, and wanted to see if it worked......lesson? Know your heli, and precheck everything.......
upankatz is offline Find More Posts by upankatz