HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
What's the best trainer for a first time builder?

Any thoughts on the best trainer to build for a first time foam builder? I had built several balsa planes many years ago. Even left a couple overseas that I built on long nights pulling CQ duty. After returning home I even bought the necessary electronics at one point. But then got married before ever flying one of them. I have re-developed the urge to get something in the air.

I would like some opinions on the easiest trainer to build to develop foam building techniques and to learn to fly them.
Leonmc is offline Find More Posts by Leonmc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
It depends on how much you remember from those years ago! IF you still have the stick handling knowledge (on the TX) then go with one of the trainers like the BluBaby or OshKosh Special, or even my OneSheetFloater if you're cheap like me or $ challenged (air frame will cost you a buck's worth of Dollar Store Foam) Those are all high wing gentle flyers, that will be able to reaquaint you with flying gently, and are all full fuselage, so will give experience in many of the foamie building skill/particulars. If you aren't confident about actually flying, than I'd say go with a BluBeagle, Trainer 1 or Trainer2. they are all profile, first two are pushers so prop is protected, and are gentle trainer type flyers (quick, disposable builds).
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,058 Posts
There are a bunch Of great trainers on here , it really depends what you like . Theres the Blubaby ,Trainer1 , Trainer 2 , Ezfly , OshkoshSpecial , Tuffy, Nutball . Im sure theres more these are off the top of my head . Depending on size and what you want the trainer 2 would go together easy as does the EZFly . I really like the plans for the 40 Oshkosh special for a first time builder as kens made it nice to fit together . The Blubaby has a thread miles long with lots of good help and the Nutball is a circle , pretty easy to build .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,058 Posts
Darn you , beat me by 1 minute but i got links
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:16 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
You da man!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:07 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
All the above suggestions are good ones, don't believe you could go wrong with any of them.Springer and Wilfor are both knowledgeable, helpful guys, and I'd ALWAYS listen to their advice. Plus, Springer's 1 sheet builds are just ingenious! To the list I'll add Waterdog's STC http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237. I like it for a 1st time build because it's profile (easier build),has an excellent build-guide, and it's a proven flyer (as all of these are).It's also very buildable (is that a word?) out of DTF, my favorite economy foam
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Last edited by EZglider; Jun 25, 2011 at 07:13 AM.