SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Feb 2004
90 Posts
Discussion
Anyone buying BNF planes from Hobby King?

I know this is probably a stupid question but I gotta ask before I order and buy. Are any of the Hobby King planes that are BNF's as good as like a Park Zone T28? Just bought my son the PZ T28 and looking at the Hobby King stuff looks like I could have picked one up for way less money. Is Hobby King stuff junk? Just curious how they compare to like Park Zone etc? Any info appreciated...
lacofdfireman is offline Find More Posts by lacofdfireman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
I've been buying HK planes/motors/servos/esc/batteries for almost 4 years now and LOVE THEM!!!!

I will never buy anything Eflite again, their good products but Turnigy is way less expensive and lets face it......both motors are made in the same country
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
ParkZone makes some pretty good stuff. Every one I've flown behaves nicely, and is pretty much ready to fly out of the box. I've had an issue or two in the past with the products, but nothing the customer support was able to help me out with.

Shopping at HobbyKing / United Hobbies / whatever its called is like shopping at the dollar store to me. Sure there are good bargains to be found in the store, but most stuff is just cheap and doesnt last long. I've had stuff show up DOA, and after doing battle with customer service I just figured it wasnt worth the $30 of effort to get back the $15 I invested.

All that said, I fly both Parkzone stuff and Hobbycity stuff. It's just a matter of what works for you IMO. I'm sure you will hear people who have good and bad experiences with both.

Hope that helps!
Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:09 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
I would'nt call it "dollar store"... More like "no middle man"
I bought a new set of 120 size electric retracts from Horizon and they were BOTH DOA. I'm not the guy to justify $110 for an Eflite 90 when my $45 Turnigy SK is better, cheaper, and more powerful.

BUT this is just 1 guys opinion...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
Middle is correct but for some reason discussions really get emotional when you start talking about importing vs USA distribuors ect ect .
Bottom line , I have purchased from Hobby King for two years , nothing but great problem free products , especialy the lipos !!! My savings on lipos made eflight both realistic and affordable .
As far as plug and play , I bought an A-10 last year as a simple Father days (gift card ) kinda of deal , for a total shipped to my door at $129.
To this day , this little 70 mm A10 is the best RC value I have ever had, and I own Hanger 9 , KMP , FMS , Top Flight ect ect .
When you buy from Hobby King the secret is simple , be patient read the online reviews as they are typically brutally honest , if you visit often enoght , you will see the reviews before they remove them (if they get around to it ) .
I dont like being the first to buy , I like to see the reveiws .
I spent over $350 getting high powerd ESC and motors for three planes at the cost on one Hacker motor , so you can see at times its worth the risk and yes at times you may get a dud , but so far I am batting 100% .
Never buy out of stock or backorder , they dont understand the definition at Hobby King and they may not get the item back in . You must visit often , trol around before you buy
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Middle is correct but for some reason discussions really get emotional when you start talking about importing vs USA distribuors ect ect .
HK has a USA store in Washington, but I know what you mean--A solid Presence in the USA, not a distro warehouse.

Be carful of the reviews as well, some people give 5* just to get a discount.
I bought 5 of the Nano Tech 5s 5000 batts while on backorder, took a month to get them and it was a GOOD thing I backordered them because they ONLY filled the backorders.

The key to HK is PATIENCE--espically now as their out of most of the motors I use
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:45 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
I agree with your logic and have backorderd but you have to be careful , I have had multiple discussions with them on useing the correct words , example backorder means --intent to restock ---out of stock -means intent to restock .
IN many case for HK back order and out of stock means --never to be instock again and or "replace with what ever we feel is equal .
To me that is unacceptable , I want the brand and quality that I ordered .
So like you , be patient and yes I agree on he reviews but the points you get is so meaningless , I mean really nonsence
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:25 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
I would'nt call it "dollar store"... More like "no middle man"
I bought a new set of 120 size electric retracts from Horizon and they were BOTH DOA. I'm not the guy to justify $110 for an Eflite 90 when my $45 Turnigy SK is better, cheaper, and more powerful.

BUT this is just 1 guys opinion...
Maybe a better example is more like harbor freight stores if you have one near you?? They are great for cheaper tools but they are not craftsman quality and far from snap on or mac. That said, I have a $110 compressor I bought from them (harbor freight) about 5 years ago now, and it works awesome still to this day. So I'm not trying to say that they don't offer any good products, it's just been my experience you have to watch what you buy.

Just one guys opinion as well Each one of us has had our own experiences with these products and each has their own expectations as well. I think that's something important to keep sight of, and as you guys already mentioned, it all too frequently is overlooked.

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:30 AM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
fair enough Harbour Freight it is. I still have a 90* cutoff wheel from them and it is flawless 6 years later.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:50 AM
United States, UT, St George
Joined Feb 2004
90 Posts
Ok not that we have established the HK is the equivalent to a HF which BNF planes do you like from them? Any that come to mind?
lacofdfireman is offline Find More Posts by lacofdfireman
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:15 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
The A10 , the Small EPO hellcat , The F16 , but replace and or balance the FANS , virtually any of them are copies or excluive releases of the FMS line made in EPO .
The orange 2.4 receiver that are spectrum copies (not Futaba fast copies ) but spectrum copies have work flawless for me .
Medal gear 17 oz power servos , for $9,99 vs Hitec for $24 , Zippy Batterys at 33% the cost of Thunder power , all test and work out great .
I suggest you pick a plane and look for a forum , there are tons our there .
I am fortunite that I travel to china , I have learned that Hobbico , Horison , Hobby Lobby, HobbyPeople , ect they do they same thing that you and i can now do direct , they simply import .They build in there customer servace while (excellant) they build it into the cost for the 25% of typical failure rate .
I remember Dymond RC , Skyshark ect , they will all tell you about the extensive QC they do lol , sorry , the engine are the same RELABLED at the 1/3 the cost .
If you but three Turnegys , and yuo lose one , your still ahead an incredible amount vs one eflight . And when I say lose one , I mean lose a magnet , same thing happen with eflight .
We did a comparison of the retracts vs eflite retracts , $25 vs $89 , look at the very long post on RC groups , you get a great education that its not better .
The business model is "try to control QC" and for the areas that you cant , "build it in your markup based on expected defaults"
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:16 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
Sorry one last point when I said replace or balance (I meant in the F16 only )
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
Account Closed
Toronto, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
168 Posts
Ordering a plane from HK? are you crazy?...lol

I wouldn't do it in a million years,,their service is bad enough with parts, let alone planes

And I am so surprised no one has mentioned the OBVIOUS

P A R T S

just like many BH and NP models, theres NO SUCH THING
as a parts page for almost all the models!

break a tail or rudder, and might as well scrathcbuild the part or order another plane

2-its a crapshoot ordering from them, I know two people did ok, got their planes in one pc, and know one that got a plane without a tail assembly, and still to this day, HK will not send a replacement

and 3-MOST of their models, dont even fly! Knew a guy that had the corsair from them, that thing NEVER flew, and if you watch alot of the HK videos, many planes they 'test' either fly away(goodbye!) or dont fly

never in a million years....PZ and HH products all have listed sku's and full parts, come ready to go, and are heads and tails better quality than that crap china stuff

cheers
GTAEF is offline Find More Posts by GTAEF
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:57 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,504 Posts
well the urban legend continues , yes your correct run, dont buy from them, never ever , that way I can be the #1 customer lol .
I have learned a few things in this hobby .
1)urban legend rules , example ---warbirds are so difficult to fly ..lol , no a heavy wing loaded plane is difficult to fly , there is a big differance .
2)OS engine , only buy them , then I try Magnum and was very happy
3)Thunder power -only buy them , then I try zippy and love them
the list goes on and on and on . Park zone is very cool , nice line and the advancment in foam has so far past there appearance , that I would rather strap an eletric motor to a ceiling tile lol . They wait months between them and eflight to annoounce a P51 ??
Yes the new P47 is sweet , but small , the market has really moved to larger epos at 55mm and above .
Now , remember , no drama , I say things in jest , if your comfortable buying from HK , dont buy , if your a modeler and you buy any arf , arc ect , you need to have the experience to fix , mend , glue , adapt and know that models need work , pre flight , post flight and on going , its the hobby .
My A10 from Hobby king , never needed a thing , the funning thing is a used a free receiver and transmitter I got in my Airfield P40 from Nitro RC .
The free toy looking 2.4 receiver and transmitter from Nitro has been in my Hobby King A10 for a year with zero problems , and binds every time , glitch free .
I would never trusted a cheapy 2.4 , again urban legend .
Enjoy the hobby , be patient , read before you buy , look at the reviews , make your own choice .
Yes Hobby king may have bad customer servace , dont know , i have not had to use it in over 10 purchases in the $1000 and above , sincerly .
Some things they do I have to laught about like .20 cents for a positive review , and iin other areas they are so slow they dont catch negative reviews for a long time lol.
If you want 100% best servace , then pay the 60% more , no drama and buy from the Blue Chip companyies like Tower , Horison , Hobby Lobby ect .
There are also some great on line guys from China like PWRC , you wont find a better guy them Philli to deal with , incredible servace , he replaced my tail on my 55mm epo FMS corsair at his own cost . So again do your reseach , if you one of these guys that orders and expect it from China in under 7 days , and will follow its path hourly I suggest you pass on China . China is for the patient who expect better prices , and at times having to fix things , still coming out way ahead
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The difference is that Horizon stands behind their products.

Get a DOA item, Horizon will replace it. No problem. Get DOA from Hobby King, and be ready for a LOT of time and effort getting satisfaction, and you may never get it replaced.

Good customer service costs money.

Hobby King tuff is fine, but you are your own customer service.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone