HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:19 PM
Austin Texas
Joined Aug 2002
43 Posts
VERY nice new wing

Just got my S-1 finished. It's a new flying wing design from S.A.S.inc. ( http://sasirc.com/index.html ) It's a speed 400 designed for an 8cell 500mah pack. 64inch Wing Span with 768 square inches of wing area and 33.4oz of total ready to fly weight. This makes for a very light wing loading of only 6.26oz per square foot. Mine had it's maiden this evening. I had put the cg just a tad forward of the marked cg to be safe, but It proved too far forward. I then moved the batt pack back and balanced it to the marked cg. Threw it up again and it was a totally enjoyable bird to fly. This thing didn't want to land!! Cut the throttle on the approach and it didn't want to come down! I can't wait to see how it thermals!!

It calls for elevon mixing and uses four servos linked with two y-harnesses. My current Futaba programmable 7uaf radio doesnít have it, so I ordered an electronic mixer. I took a chance and flew it with the outer flaps as ailerons and the inner flaps as elevators. It was still very easy to control with about 15mph of gusty winds. I also don't have the correct battery pack yet as it is also on order, but a 9.6v 1000mah Ni Mh battery is good enough for a few flights. The Jeti 6-12 cell esc has no problem handling it. I imagine that with the lighter 8cell pack she'll fly even smoother. Mr. Stamos, the designer, flew one with a brushless motor on it a few days ago for me and it must have climbed out at about 70 degrees!! It was amazing to see such a small motor powering a huge wing so effortlessly! He was able to do loops, inverted flight and barrel rolls with no problem. He also climbed up to spec altitude and glided down for about 5 minutes. It was late evening and the thermals werenít out, but it still acted "airsick" and didn't want to come down.

It was a joy to put together and only took me about 5 hours total time. The AutoCAD drawings were very accurate and thorough. Here's a picture of mine. Everything fits under the canopy even the 9.6v pack! Havenít painted it yet though. Kind of cool to see the electronics in side!
yerkleberry is offline Find More Posts by yerkleberry
Last edited by yerkleberry; Aug 28, 2003 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:46 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
Wow! Looks great. I especially like the changing sweep of the delta wing.
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:21 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
a guy at our indoor meets came up with a very similar design that he hotwired from epp his flew from a dd 280. very fast indoors and indestructable!!!
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:26 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
here tis
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Aug 30, 2003, 08:42 AM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
Any chance that wing would work as a sloper?
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Aug 30, 2003, 09:12 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,329 Posts
This wing solves a problem that I have experienced when using lipoly batteries with other wings.

I can't get the correct CG !
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Aug 30, 2003, 12:44 PM
Austin Texas
Joined Aug 2002
43 Posts
Robbied: Yeah, they do look similar. The S-1 is probably indestructable as well, although, I don't plan on finding out!! It feels really sturdy and flys like it feels.

Porterj: Mike Stamos, the guy who designed it said he might get a chance to try sloping it I think in CA. I would be willing to bet that if it thermals as well as it dose, it would do nicely on a slope. Almost lost mine this morning... I think I was above the buzzard I was chasing... I should add bottle rockets on the 4th channel!! I've never sloped before so I'm a little less informed than Mike himself might be.

Martyn McKinney: Battery problem!? Please share! Note that in the picture, I'm not useing the recomended battery.. heh. Still waiting on some more funds for the right 8cell 500mah+ battery which would only make it lighter. I'll probably have to re-adjust the radio gear forward to keep the same cg mark. I'm assuming you found the cg mark in the picture and that solved a question? With that, I might add that with the cg a tad forward than the marked cg the wing acted very underpowerd. Even with full up elevator, she didn't want to climb. Picture a dog running with a brick on his head... haha.. ouch. Anyhow, glad to hear that you solved a problem.

Happy Landings!!
Bryan
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:01 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,329 Posts
Because I usually fly in relatively small areas, I like building my wings as light as possible.

I also use lipoly cells which makes them even lighter.

The problem is, the correct CG is very difficult to achieve because of the lightness of the lipoly cells.

A wing with a nose extension a la the Graupner series of wings and of course this wing, make it possible to place the battery over a wide range of positions.

Although I like the simplicity of a direct drive Speed 400, I have had even better success with a GWS 300C "B" gearbox on an 8/6 prop.

More thrust with less weight and less current drain.

Outstanding performance.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Aug 30, 2003, 01:32 PM
Austin Texas
Joined Aug 2002
43 Posts
OOo.. that sounds good McKinney. I'll keep that in mind. Not sure if a prop that size will fit on the S-1 though. Could always use less drain and less weight though!!