Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Oct 2009
57 Posts
Discussion
Flashing HK Orange FASST Reciever (FrSky TFR8) With TFR8SP Firmware

Hi,
I have been thinking of flashing my Orange FASST Rx from Hobby King with FrSky TFR8SP Firmware to take advantage of PPM and RSSI out from the Rx (Ardu Pilot, OSD, Wireless Buddy etc).

The Orange Rx are actually FrSky product and eventually all TFR8, TFR8S and TFR8SP seem to have exactly same hardware. The difference is just the different Firmware they run on.

I found how to upgrade TFR8 from below:
http://www.frsky-rc.com/Downloads.asp?id=41

I also bought the FrSky Upgrade Lite (actually 3.3v TTL to 5v TTL RS232 converter) , but could not find the firmware for TF8SP.

Has any body hacked into their firmware and installed on TFR8?
ujjwaana is offline Find More Posts by ujjwaana
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Your guess is right, they are all Frsky inside, only the Orange case is the difference.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
82 Posts
AFAIK, TFR8 cannot be upgraded to TFR8S or TFRSP. The firmware upgrade for TFR8 removes bugs, that's it.

greez

chris
seuchato is online now Find More Posts by seuchato
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Cannot because the firmware is not available, not because it's technical impossible...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:32 AM
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Oct 2009
57 Posts
Have to wait till the first firmware update for TFR8-SP comes out. I think pulling the Firmware from the existing TFR8-SP would be illegitimate.

FrySky should learn from Futaba, where they honestly released the Firmware for 8FG Super to existing 8FG users, upgrading their Tx instantly to 14 Channel.

FrSky already benefits from Budget users. providing these different version of same hardware should not do any business harm, instead it would be a more talked about thinggy.

Hope FrSky is listening...
ujjwaana is offline Find More Posts by ujjwaana
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Hi all, I wanted to wake up this old thread to see if anyone may have since updated their firmware. Having the PPM sum out and RSSI is a very nice feature. I recently bought the TFR4 for my FPV plane and it works great. Not only that but the Rx is tiny compared to most 8ch Rx's. I will be buying more TFR4's but I would also like to update my TFR8 to the SP version. So has anyone tried it or would anyone be willing to try?
swoop_g is offline Find More Posts by swoop_g
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,061 Posts
Just getting into FASST and ordered an Orange from HK. How reliable are these things?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,348 Posts
I also just got into FASST and as of right now am using only Futaba receivers in my helis but I plan to install more FASST receivers in my planes. A couple of guys in my club use the Orange FASST receivers and when I asked them about reliability they said they never had a problem with them and they work as good as the Futaba ones. So I bought 3 FASST compatible OrangeRX which I will be installing in planes. The first one will go in my "beater" plane (not so much beater but the oldest in my fleet) for testing.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,061 Posts
Ivan, I look forward to your reports on the Orange receivers.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
I've got two Orange Rx's and they have worked every time I plug them in. I did some range tests when I first got them and they actually worked better than my Futaba 6106hfc. Although it is not really a "full range" receiver it has a single long antenna. But I think it is classified as a parkflyer receiver. Both Orange Rx's I have held on to my radios signal about 200' past the Futaba Rx. I also tested the Futaba 6106hf and it did the worst but it only has a tiny stub of an antenna. I think the reason the Orange Rx's worked better is the fact that they have two antenna's and that helps when you install them right.
swoop_g is offline Find More Posts by swoop_g
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
I also just got into FASST and as of right now am using only Futaba receivers in my helis but I plan to install more FASST receivers in my planes. A couple of guys in my club use the Orange FASST receivers and when I asked them about reliability they said they never had a problem with them and they work as good as the Futaba ones. So I bought 3 FASST compatible OrangeRX which I will be installing in planes. The first one will go in my "beater" plane (not so much beater but the oldest in my fleet) for testing.

Ivan
Ivan, can you share an experience update with the orange receivers?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
69 Posts
Hi,
I have been using orange rx and tfr8s for almost a year now, in all my plane and heli, except the 550 size and 700 size.
Never had a single problem at any altitude visible to eye.
I once had a plane called bubble flying around 700 meter or 2100 feet high (according to GPS) , and it was alright. ( I had leds installed in the wing and body, so the plane is visible at that distance at dusk)

all TFR8(orange Rx) I have right now run the TFR8S firmware version that enables failsafe setting via the transmitter, and that firmware uses was suggested by the people at frsky.
whiskey29 is offline Find More Posts by whiskey29
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
I awsn't aware that TFR8S firmware make available such feature, to enable failsafe from the transmitter, where did you found such info ?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
69 Posts
Hi Renatoa, I am quite sure the news was on their website a while a go. But I couldn't find it just now.

I had a problem with two tfr8s that i bought from hi model. The channel 3 doesnt work at all.
Then I chat with frsky and told them about it, it took quite a while before they told me that my rx was some of the first batch that has a bug in the firmware. So they gave me the firmware to fix it, and offered me a "failsafe enabled from transmitter" firmware as well to try.
When I ask if they got the same firmware functionality for the tfr8, they told me just to use the the firmware they gave for tfr8s.
It has been a few months now, and 7 of my orange rx has been using that firmware. Never had any problem.

If any one need it, I can send it through email.
Just send me email for the request to IRWAN at PAI dot CO dot ID
whiskey29 is offline Find More Posts by whiskey29
Last edited by whiskey29; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM.