HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:17 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Lone Tree
Joined Nov 2000
88 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby - Warning!!

Guys, I've dealt with Banana hobby since 2006 and I have given them opportunity after opportunity to demonstrate their product quality and customer service.

Today they failed on me for the last time. After ordering their 12CH F/A-18 (nearly $500), I experienced several servo failures (on the bench before the first flight), a circuit board failure (known defect that they don't disclose on their site) and finally this:

They tell you on the site that you need two 3S, 4000mAh batteries in series to fly the plane. You need two because the area under the cockpit is too shallow to accommodate one pack. When I ordered the plane, I THOUGHT I ordered the packs, but clearly did not select them because when the plane arrived it had no batteries. No worries, I figured. I just called them to order a set. They said I couldn't do that because the packs weren't on their website (even though they had them in stock). I had to email the parts department and then paypal them. I did that.

The box finally came after more than a week. They sent ONE 6S battery. And, it doesn't even fit. So now, I get to either sit on hold for 30 minutes OR use their useless online chat and try to explain to an unskilled typist what happened.

Go to Hobby-Lobby.com and never look back. Banana Hobby is an epic failure at service and quality.

Michael Kranitz
Co-Founder, RCUniverse
mkranitz is offline Find More Posts by mkranitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I have only purchased 1 plane from them and actually picked it up at their warehouse. Nice people, nice plane but over a year later the parts for the plane are still not in stock. That was my first and last purchase. I personally like to purchase from Horizon Hobby, quality merchandise and customer service 2nd to none.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Sounds like a very minor issue to me.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:48 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
A co-founder of rcuniverse posting here? Very strange. I would think you would know the proper forum to post vendor issues in.

You sound like you've had a few issues before this, yet you continue to buy from them?

Try Hobby King, I hear they have excellant service and products.

If failed servos before flight, a bad circuit board and having to work so hard to order the wrong parts are minor issues, I guess now I know how they stay in business.

You guys are too much!
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
AMA 928214
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
I must be an exception to the issues with Banana. Although their customer service response lacks, the three ArtTech planes I've purchased from them in the last year have been as advertised and needed nothing more than a little plank knowledge to get them built and dialed in. I've shy'd away from their heli selections since my experince has taught me to stick with the Align Trex and EXI equipment and most of Banana's models are just plain junk.

I've also dropped a good amount of coin at Xheli/Niitroplanes, Banana's local competition. Even though they provide a forum for both heli's and planes, their customer service, technical advise and product quaility isn't much better when it comes to planes. They do have a nice selection of bigginner/intermediate heli's and a few knowledgable forum guys, but spare parts and up-grade inventory sucks.

I guess it's best to have a little knowledge and experince and do lots of research related to product quality and brand name recognition before you shop at the "knock-off" shops. With a little time and expense, you'll soon discover that the places that load up their inventory with Dynam, AirField, Guan Li, cater to the low budget begginer. The exception there may be a few models made by ArtTech, Exceed and BlitzWorks, but the vast majority of stuff is just plane/plain junk.

The tired, old saying "you get what you pay for" really does apply to the on-line knock-off shops. Buyer should always "beware"...if it's to good to be true, ect...ect....ect.
Pizzano is offline Find More Posts by Pizzano
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:17 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,341 Posts
buy from swap meets, you get to see the product, cheap prices , and you get the same follow up service .

but i guess you cant do that when you have to have the latest greatest thing ...

good luck.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,479 Posts
"I have given them opportunity after opportunity to demonstrate their product quality and customer service."

Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me:-)))))))

The definition of insanity. Repeating the same action; expecting different result.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Well, I've ordered a total of 3 planes from Banana, and have been satisfied all 3 times. Just got my 3rd plane actually. Looks good.
However, with all the bad responses about this retailer all around the internet, I no longer feel the want to buy an airplane from this place anymore.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I have made 3 purchases from Banana. All were good. I bought 50mm ARF kits only though. I really don't feel comfortable buying any Plug and fly stuff from them. Also, they charge too much for sub-rate flight batteries. Nitroplanes is a little bit better. I will praise Hobbypartz though (Nitroplanes Hop-up shop). They sell decent batteries, ESC's, servos, and the likes at some of the best prices...
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn View Post
A co-founder of rcuniverse posting here? Very strange. I would think you would know the proper forum to post vendor issues in.
Boy.... amen to that.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
I have made 3 purchases from Banana. All were good. I bought 50mm ARF kits only though. I really don't feel comfortable buying any Plug and fly stuff from them. Also, they charge too much for sub-rate flight batteries. Nitroplanes is a little bit better. I will praise Hobbypartz though (Nitroplanes Hop-up shop). They sell decent batteries, ESC's, servos, and the likes at some of the best prices...
Ive never ordered from the Bannana , , , because from my reading of every RC site on the net , not too many long term customers can say that the bannana hasnt boned them at one time or another . Im not talking about simple shipping errors like the OP had , but the failure to correct problems after repeated contact . Any company can make a mistake , its how they correct the mistake that matters , and Pete dont seem too good at correcting the mistakes his company made for the individuls that I read about !

I have 3 times used Hobbypartz , and three times the products were on time , on price , and work as advertised . ( 3 different sets of A123 batterys )

If they got one order wrong , Id have given them a chance to make it right . If they did , Id still shop there . But if not , they would never see another nickel of mine . And that goes for ANY rc products company I deal with
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:30 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn View Post
A co-founder of rcuniverse posting here?
Give him credit for recognizing a great RC hobby forum when he sees it.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:06 AM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
Well... actually, the 3 orders with Banana Hobby didn't always go well. I had servos and ESCs fail on me on the 3rd or 4th flight and the landing gear on my Lanyu 74-7 snapped on me.
But it's me who is generally "fine", because I, from the start, didn't expect that much from them.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Jun 26, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Quote:
Give him credit for recognizing a great RC hobby forum when he sees it.
So true... When the competition is using your site, you know it's doing pretty well In any case, Michael, we're happy to have you here...

Personally, I've always thought that those ~$500 jets on Banana's site look like some kind of joke. $480+ for a foamy jet from a company that's known to be so bad that they have problems with their PROBLEMS? Just yesterday I made a post in response to a thread that's basically become one huge joke, and here's Michael, a poor soul (who co-founded the enemy) who actually tried it...
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀