HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Build Log
T-50 Golden Eagle/JetCaptain Plans

Okay Gents,

Here's the next build, T-50 Golden Eagle. I'm looking to get'er flying using B.I.M.'s NDF 22mm EDF, 1015 inrunner, Turnigy Plush 6A ESC, and Hyperion 180mAh 3S 25C bat. I'm going with tailerons with a couple of BA 2.5 servos. Right now AUW is at 51g. I realize this is kind of portly, so I may start shortening wire lengths. We'll see. Here are a few pics of what's done so far.
More to come.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Build Update

Had a little bit of time to work on the project today. Here's a few pics and a vid. I once read that if your build can move across the carpet, you should not have much of a problem in the air. Well, the vid speaks for itself.

DSCN1092.MOV (0 min 18 sec)

As is in the vid, the Eagle is 50g. I'll be fighting to keep the weight down. More to come.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Update

Gents,

Almost there, she's buttoned up for now. Topside work, control linkage, and time for maiden. As is, airframe with electronics comes in at 36g. I'll be using a Hyperion 180mAh 3S 25C bat, weights in at 19g. So, at most, I'm looking at 55g-60g AUW. A bit on the heavy side, but I think she's flyable, we'll see. Here's a few pics. Comments are welcome.

Ksqm
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:18 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
Looking really nice! A bit on the heavy side, but let's see what it does!

I can recommend the KF airfoil that I put on my 22mm jet. It made a huge difference!
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
MegaTesla,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Your build set the standard. I've seen the difference the KF airfoil made with your Bandit. I still want to try the Eagle without one first. I hope the built up forward strakes help provide stability and extra lift. But there's no getting around the AUW. I'll have to try and get a measure of the static thrust, but I think the power combo will be up to the task. May be close to 1:1 thrust-to-weight. We'll see.

By the way, I'm going to be hedging my bet on the maiden. Google "Mount Trashmore, Virginia Beach". It's a 60'+ tall hill, with a very steep backside. Perfect place to launch an EDF that may lose a few feet before getting on step. If you know what I mean. More to come.

Ksqm
Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:14 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
The jet is looking awesome. You have to add that turtle deck though. I can't wait to see this.

It's a very simple problem. There is no esc or battery made for the requirements of these jets. The new YGE4 is only capable of 2s operation. Either which way, it costs a fortune. Unless you make a battery, you'll end up with the weight of a 3-to-1 rig.

HK just released a new line of equipment. We finally have a stand alone rx that is pnp with the as2000 size class of servos. It is not spektrum compatible though...
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
B.I.M,

Thanks for the props. I just hope I can live up to it. Yes, the turtle deck is one of the things that sets this design off. I'm just trying to decide if I should glue the conopy on and go from there, or shape the parts first then glue on and adjust.

Power wise, I think your 22mm NDF on 3S has the kick to do the job. Once MegaTesla and NitroCharge proved that the 1015 could handle it, I was hooked. If I had stripped things down like MegaTesla, I could have saved some grams... But I did not go that route. We'll see how it turns out.

Ksqm
Old Jul 08, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Almost There

Slow and Steady,

Save for connecting control linkage and cutting the hatch, she's done for now. Should be maidening sometime this weekend if the weather holds. Here's a few pics. More to come.

Ksqm
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:11 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
That plane is looking good. Look at the lines on that F14. The T50 looks good too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
That's my 50% scale MDC F-14. It's prop driven, but it's under consideration for a pair of 22mm NDFs. As is, she comes in at about 80g made from 3mm Depron. I do have another kit.

Ksqm
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
Successful Maiden

Well,

Perfect conditions for a maiden flight. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera partner, so... I did the next best thing. Set my IPhone up on a bench and let'er rip. Just to let you know, most of this vid is just me making faces while I'm trimming out the Eagle. I'm submitting mostly to see if a doppler (speed) reading can be made.

The flight, was GREAT!!! I was really worried that at 57g-58g, I had made a really pretty lawn dart. Also, the CG point really had me worried. So I fired her up to WOT and with a gentle toss, the Eagle was flying! I had did some test hops onto my queen size bed and it really paid off. Very little trim was needed. I was just getting used to how she responded to control inputs. With my 10" WS Draken, the elevon throws were way to high. And those vids showed it, I was all over the place chasing the plane. With the Eagle, I went real conservative. Aile expo 50% and D/R 20%, Elev expo 50% and D/R 25%. I can actually ease up on the expo to 35%-40% and D/R to 25%-30%. And to my surprise, no Kf step needed.

With the CG spot on, I was just starting to line up for passes in front of the IPhone. That's when my nemisis showed up. The Eagle spit her rotor. At the end of the vid you see a very nice glide in landing from about 50ft up. Again, the CG was spot on. So, have to open her up and fix the rotor. Then more flying. Hopefully, with my trusted Camera Girl.

MT, B.I.M., NC, and all the others, thanks for the help and encouragement. I'm hooked.

This vid is for speed recording purposes only, unless you just like watching me. More to come.

T-50 Golden Eagle Maiden Flight (2 min 9 sec)

Ksqm
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:57 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
Congratulations on a successful maiden! I'm sure the high wing and strakes helps a lot!

I think it is time for me to build another one...
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
MT,

I was hoping I would not need the step. It all worked out. Just need to get the rotor back on and get a good vid speed run. I have some markers so I'll at least add color fpr stand off viewing. More to come.

Ksqm
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,234 Posts
I'm back,

From a week of vaca in Orlando, FL. Some vaca, it was more like work getting the little one around Disney & Universal Studios. And it was HOT!!!. Well, I have the rotor back on now. Sorry, no flying now. It's 94 F in the shade at the moment. Need the ambient temp down a bit, 'fore I run the Turnigy 1015 up on 3S. Promise to have the Misses on hand to shoot a vid.

Here's a few pics after doing a little work with some Sharpies. I warn you. Coloration is for STANDOFF/Orientation purposes only. The last plane I put a finish on, was a Dekan F-22 almost 2 yrs ago. Enjoy. Vid to come.

Ksqm
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Nice. I like the little red trim the most.
RCG Plus Member