HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
Discussion
TREX 450 sport setup

setting up new trex 450 sport. manual says to put all 3 servos at 90 degrees at mid stick. this is not achievable because there is not a perfect slot on the servo for that angle. the only way to achieve this is to use subtrim on TX. do i use subtrim on TX and then tune the heli or do i use 0 sub trim and accept its slightly off and then tune the heli?

the servo mounts are about 10 degrees off from level. i think thats whats causing it.

i'm being picky but want to do this properly. thnx
avengedkevinfold is offline Find More Posts by avengedkevinfold
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
This was just discussed in a previous thread. subtrim it so it's level.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
+1 on using sub trims to get the cyclic servos at 90 degrees. That's why they are there, to fine tune the servos during initial setup and getting the swashplate level.

However, you don't use sub trim when setting up the rudder servo. Keep that at zero.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
161 Posts
If you really want to dial it in a swashplate leveling tool, after you get it all at zero with subtrim as the folks said, will really make the job a lot easier and dead accurate. Nobody regrets buying one, most will work on a lot of different 450's. Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:00 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
+1 on the leveling tool. You really need it to make sure your swashplate is level in all throttle positions, low thru high stick. You may have it perfectly level at mid stick, but could be off at low or high stick.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:44 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
What i do is take the servo and move the horn full right and full left manualy then adjust the horn onto the servo so that it has the same angle @ full left and right..Then plug servos into reciever and power up the reciever with motor not connected to check the 90 deg..If 90 is off I will subtrim from there.. If to much subtrim is needed I then put subtrim back to zero and adjust the push rods to add less subtrim..after that i then set my pitch to zero @ half stick..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:11 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
a regular 450 swash leveling tool won't work on the Sport or Pro...the swash arms extend a little further out from the swash
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enguneer View Post
What i do is take the servo and move the horn full right and full left manualy then adjust the horn onto the servo so that it has the same angle @ full left and right..Then plug servos into reciever and power up the reciever with motor not connected to check the 90 deg..If 90 is off I will subtrim from there.. If to much subtrim is needed I then put subtrim back to zero and adjust the push rods to add less subtrim..after that i then set my pitch to zero @ half stick..
Do not turn your servo by hand. It's easy to ruin it. Ask me how I know.

Hook them to the receiver and center them while powered with electricity from your esc.
FWIW

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:14 AM
Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
161 Posts
Quote:
a regular 450 swash leveling tool won't work on the Sport or Pro...the swash arms extend a little further out from the swash
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWASH-PLATE-Swas...-/130425271486
They're not that unique, most levelers state they are for a specific heli or several helis anyway. As long as it touches somehere and at the same place all around.Some helis will have the leveler designed for one with the usual shaft diameter but the leveler contacts instead the tops of the ball link or the balls. That works fine.
The zip-ty method can get you pretty close but not as good as a leveler can,how could it? Something nylon and flexible teamed with the human eye will only be "close". Doug
doug47 is offline Find More Posts by doug47
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
Do not turn your servo by hand. It's easy to ruin it. Ask me how I know.

Hook them to the receiver and center them while powered with electricity from your esc.
FWIW

Todd
Sounds like you are one of thoes guys that anything you touch you break...lol.....I have never had that problem and i been messing with servos for many years now
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,191 Posts
I've been flying helicopters for years,, and have never use a leveling tool.
It's Not needed at all,,,,! ... But then again,,, I can see when it needs adjusting a little.
Oh,, and you will adjust when in flight anyway!! From wear or battery weight and cg...
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enguneer View Post
Sounds like you are one of thoes guys that anything you touch you break...lol.....I have never had that problem and i been messing with servos for many years now
Ive done it with HK micro servos and yes they do strip very easily
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi