HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
United States, NC, Butner
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Stick-on weights that don't stick-on

I've got some Great Planes stick on weights that refuse to stick to the rough fiberglass interior of the cowl. Anyone got any ideas on how to get them to stick? Thanks!
ognolman is offline Find More Posts by ognolman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,662 Posts
Drill a couple of holes and use sheet metal screws. Even if they stuck, it is temporary as the engine oils and vibrations would have them come loose on you anyway.
You do not want to stick them to the cowl, as the engine vibration will tear apart the cowl on you because of the weights being added to them. The weights add inertia to the cowl from the engine vibration and the cowl will be damaged in no time at all on you. Stick the weights to the motor mount or to the firewall, or if you have it a box extension in there.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Excellent.

I've always thought they went on the cowl to get them as far forward as possible, but that makes sense about tearing up the cowl.

Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:27 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
I've got some Great Planes stick on weights that refuse to stick to the rough fiberglass interior of the cowl. Anyone got any ideas on how to get them to stick? Thanks!

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and ger a tube of Plumbers Goop put a dab on the bottom side of the wts and stick it where you want it. In abiout 5 min you will have to cut them off with a knife. The goop doesn't dry hard but rather a rubber-like finish and it sticks to anything.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
I never trust the supplied sticky tape to hold them , and I peel it off . I epoxy the weights on , and when the epoxy is totally cured I put some Monokote over the weight to make it 100% perminant . Ive never had one fall off yet
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Interesting ideas! I've put them on with the sheet metal screws, but those have been vibrating loose. I think I'll try bolting them on with machine screws and nuts. I don't want to glue them on as I am considering an electric conversion and don't know how it will balance if I do that.

Thanks for all the tips!