HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
I think you are simply stating that the manual Has wrong pics. This is correct. There are two manuals floating around. You don't need to use the sticks for settings. Just the trims. But also you shouldnt need to touch either. They are by default set correctly. If you hold trainer and push the aileron trim right, that is normal setting. The other way is France mode. The other one is elevator trim which should be using dsmx.
Gst13xp is offline Find More Posts by Gst13xp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
27 Posts
Ah sorry. You should be using dsm2. Hold trainer, hold elevator trim up, turn on. Should do the trick.
Gst13xp is offline Find More Posts by Gst13xp
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gst13xp View Post
Ah sorry. You should be using dsm2. Hold trainer, hold elevator trim up, turn on. Should do the trick.
No. You were right the first time. There is no need to do anything, as the transmitter is already compatible in its default state with both DSMX and DSM2.

From the manual:

DSMX technology can be turned on and off with this
transmitter. The default is for DSMX technology to be turned
on. When it is on, the transmitter will bind to standard
DSM2 receivers and DSMX receivers. The only time DSMX
technology must be turned off is to bind to high-speed
11ms 2048 DSM2 receivers.

I think the manual is unnecessarily confusing in giving too much prominence to a feature that 99% of people don't even need to know about. It should be in fine print under a heading like "Using the DX5e with high-speed 11ms 2048 DSM2 receivers."
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
4 Posts

The manual I have is dtd 12/20/10 and, if fact, as you can see on page 6 it makes no sense. I agree this is needless info but my problem is that there are other places in this manual that make no sense. Now that I know there is an updated manual, I'll download it. Unfortunately, as a newbie you don't know what can be ignored and what will knock you out of the air. Thanks
btwilson is offline Find More Posts by btwilson
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:48 PM
AMA 34191
Fayetteville, PA
Joined Dec 2002
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykunz View Post
one of them is the "brick my radio" command. Be careful that you don't find it.

Andy
lol!
Vulgar Vulture is offline Find More Posts by Vulgar Vulture
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:29 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Let's not forget that the DX5e is really a computer TX so there are probably programming functions and hidden functions that we aren't supposed to know about. Things like mode swap, DR, expo changes, there may even be a stick calibration routine hidden in there. Also wouldn't surprise me if there were test pads or a connector that gave you a serial terminal output so that you could see what you are adjusting. Are they still using ATMega series AVR processors or did they switch to Cypress for everything?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,798 Posts
This topic does not only apply to DX5e but most of there other radios as well.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:10 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,576 Posts
If you switch on with the aileron trim right the radio goes into expo mode. I wonder what happens if you switch on with other trims set ? has anyone had a play ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:48 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i got my dx5e a few years ago. still using atmel atmega8 chips.

and, what do you mean, 'clears all controls?"

EDIT: and there is a 6th reversing sw hidden beneath the front cover. nver noiced it. changes mode 1 to mode 2, or visca versa.

2ND EDIT: OH, NOW I ....sorry. now i see what it does. recalibrates the pot position and travel. usefull to know, if the pots ever die, thoe 12k are hard to find. u could just swap any in and re calabrate......... you said there were two unaccounted for?
channel 5 and 6 jsut have 2 wires, i am assuming a simple sw to ground, the AVR's have a hard time with positive singnals in. i am wondering if you could attach pots to channel 5 and 6, run a + from the batt, and recalabrate, and get full, real servo outputs on those channel...........but i guess that would be a big secert they dont watn you to know. i mean, if that were ture, why would i ever buy a DX6i?

3RD EDIT:
just tried it, and can confirm that the left rudder, trainer sw and power on does clear. his sequence is correct, except for one bit. on my dx5e, throttle and rudder left stic, was full up and left 1st, then full down and right, 2nd. i used the other 4 beeps for the four points on the right stick, as i only had haft movement. might this be related to the position of the mode switching sw?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Nov 29, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
Adc

I checked the trainer and ch5 switches, and they do not connect to ADC inputs on the ATMEGA88 chip. That means we can not replace the switches to pots. But that can mean that we can reprogram the ATMEGA chip. Anyone?
Narancs is offline Find More Posts by Narancs
Last edited by Narancs; Jan 19, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:00 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,798 Posts
You should also have check the date of this thread. After a year plus I'm sure he has moved on.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i never check if thye atmega8 is unlocked. there are lock bits, as well as reset disable settings, but i never tried to read the code off the chip.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,860 Posts
Push a button and see what happens --
Appears to be a popular pastime.

Honda has some procedures which are also crazymakers - How to reset maintenance light - how to reset radio- how to set garage door opener - of various types .
never tried the various "what ifs"-on the DX5 .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narancs View Post
I checked the trainer and ch5 switches, and they do not connect to ADC inputs on the ATMEGA88 chip. That means we can not replace the switches to pots. But that can mean that we can reprogram the ATMEGA chip. Anyone?
On virtually no modern radio you can simply replace a switch with a pot. They are programmed to work digital, even if you connect a pot.
Also, you can bet that all the lock fuses of the microcontrollers are burnt. Noone can afford to have the software read out this easy.

You have to write your radio software from the scratch.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
an idea ive been tossing around im my head is to feed an PWM signal to the ch 5 switch. on/off/on/off. if its slow enough for the AVR to read (250us starting?) but still faster than the servo can respond it might work.

you might just end up frezseeing the servo, i dont really know. it would depend on how the servo reacts to quicly changing signal. this might work better on an analog servo.

edit: if this did work, you would also end up constanyl moving ur servo, they might burn out or live a short life