Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Wing flutter, indeed, and I built as true to the plans as I could muster, to include the covering. I used standard Ultracoat, not the light stuff. Invariably, then, I don't have it tight enough, which occurred to me today as the wing fluttered again, on a descending pass, but really not a high-speed pass, maybe thirty-five to forty miles per hour tops, nowhere near the sixty-something that someone mentioned (maybe it was Tim (Laquerhead) when he downloaded the data).

Anyway, it turns out my wife caught the flutter on video... Two notable things on this video: the strange sound from my motor at about the six second mark, and the flutter at about the thirty-second mark. After the flight it occurred to me that I probably needed to tighten the covering (and probably adjust the washout as well).

And if the video didn't load properly, here's the link.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJlRC7wDjlk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
EightOhMike is offline Find More Posts by EightOhMike
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,498 Posts
Ewwww, that was a moment of excitement I hope you don't experience again. I'd also suggest you check your motor mount. If its loose you can get all sorts of weird noises like that. I had a screw back out a bit (because I was stupid and used a screw that was WAY too small) and let the mount vibrate. Took a bit of looking but was obvious what the problem was once I found it.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead