HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Thank you Don. It would help if Joe would stay in touch as I do not want to order any other ship than the 2ME, my favorite sailplane.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
All of the kits recommended are great ones. A 2m is alittle easier for a first kit. I do like my Mirage which is not electric but would be a great kit to convert. In fact I put 5 or 6 flights on it yesterday before the heat got to be too much.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:32 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Thanks, Matt--

I was on the fence between the two, but elected to go with the Chrysalis because I was buying two (one for my father-in-law, and one for me), and price was the deciding factor. I might regret not getting the three-piece wing option, but if it turns out to be that big a deal I might build another wing for those times I feel like traveling to the mountains to fly, perhaps.

My FIL's retired, though, and I'm still full-time with a long project/honey-do list, so I expect that he'll complete the build before I will. Looking forward to getting into e-soaring, though, and eventually moving up to a more complex wing build. Thanks again for the guidance.

Mike
EightOhMike is offline Find More Posts by EightOhMike
Last edited by EightOhMike; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
All the kits listed may be good ones, but I certainly would not recommend the BoT. Granted, it is a great plane with rave reviews as a great flier. But not that great for a first time builder!

I have one of these, and while I have not started it yet, just looking at the plans and building directions I would follow the designer's reccomendations and build a few kits before attempting this bird.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Struck View Post
You will be happy with the Chrysalis.

This past spring I chose the Helium over the Chrysalis due to the easier and faster build and the 3 pc wing. I elected to not use the landing gear and have had many enjoyable flights with it. Flew it in the Polecat/Soaring Circuits ALES contest this June and placed 11th on day one, 4th on day 2, and 8th overall. The plane soars great. Pics of my Helium : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...m#post18129381

Matt
Outstanding job Matt. Congrats on the contest!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Still no sign of the planes I ordered... ... Don or Joe, if you're monitoring, please drop a line. PM inquiry sent to Don. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:00 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,498 Posts
Don is pretty good about supporting his products. If he's busy he may not get to the forums. E-mail is almost always answered and when all else fails there's always Ye Olde Telephone. I was able to get through via e-mail when my order was misplaced but Don resolved it quickly once he learned of the issue.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Thanks, Lacquerhead... That's why I'm a bit worried. No response to emails, PM, or phone calls. Trouble afoot (sure hope not) or on vacation, I surmise... Eager to build here, though.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
I have to say that I would trust Don.these kit's are not manufactured in high volume, and one sheet of parts could hold up orders. We are also in the middle of most peoples flying season, and Don does fly .Bare with them.The only reason I'm not ordering one right now is,that of finances .This fall I'll have one ,and a mirage that should keep me busy this winter.It will be worth the wait.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,922 Posts
Mike, I got your e-mail, but I'll answer it here.

I had an opportunity for a "day job" that's currently in Saginaw, MI, although I may be moving to the north Detroit area in the next few months. It will be at least several more years before my wife can join me there, so I do get back to Ohio occasionally on weekends. Unfortunately, between my schedule and Joe's, I don't get many opportunities to go over production details with him, so I tend to be a bit out of the loop.

Joe is still in Piqua, and still handling orders and shipping, although he has a number of activities lately (like helping his son get ready to go back to Iraq, flying UAV's) that have severely restricted his time. This week Ive been back in Ohio on business for my day job, but with little or no time left to keep up with e-mails.

As a result I'm afraid both of us have been a bit slow on responding to inquiries.

As most of you know, we are not in a position to keep lots of inventory on the shelf for immediate shipment. Kits are pretty much made to order. At the moment there are a few kits that had been waiting for parts and materials (some of our suppliers have schedule disruptions in the summer, some even have summer shutdowns!). We have another batch of kits mostly done, but waiting for some key supplies to arrive. In a very few cases where someone had been waiting patiently for much too long, we've gone to the local hobby shops and bought materials at retail to get those particular kits out (how to destroy already meager profits in a real hurry), but we're hoping the materials we have on order will arrive soon. We're expecting them any day now (in fact they were supposed to arrive a while ago). As soon as we get them, Joe will finish up thse kits and get them on their way. I got an update from him early this week, but I don't know the current details.

Wish I had a better answer, but that's as much as I know at the moment.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:49 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,498 Posts
It might be frustrating some times but it is worth the wait in my opinion. My Chrysalis was a joy to build and I dare say at least as much fun to fly. I'm seriously contemplating building another one just for the fun of it and to improve my technique. I think that perfectionist is starting to peek out. Even on fairly modest power systems it climbs well enough to threaten the 200M/30sec rules of ALES competition with very little weight penalty over the unpowered fuse. The V-tail is a bit of a pain to get set up correctly but it sure is pretty so it is worth it to me.

I was eyeballing my Chrysalis last night wishing we hadn't already had 28 consecutive days of 100+ heat with no end in sight. Weather man is saying it will only be 99F tomorrow but I'll believe that when I see it. One or two days ago it was 106F at DAL, 107F at DFW and 108F at FTW if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
Cleveland Ohio
Cleveland Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
244 Posts
cleveland flying

dont be misled. we have a lot of slope flying in the area. there is edgewater park right in downtown cleveland for ne wind. right off the water. there is at i490 and i 77 a good hill for sw wind in idependence ohio. and there is a 200 footer near Canton on a farm. nice bulls too.

we are out often, you might want to consider a art hobby models. very affordable and competetive. we have about 10 2m electric contests a year, and twice a month glider sunday. that is run by 2 level 4 lsf flyers. You might want to buy a used 2m. do you want to fly or build. hard to do both.

the chryallis is a great plane if you can get on. best building instructions around, we have a lot of them in area, most of the kits on this thread are doable. i stated on an oly 2. i also sloped it a lot.

Get in a club where there are skilled teachers and buddy boxes. they will trim out the plane and minimize losses. i know from the hardway.

bill snow
wsnowfall is offline Find More Posts by wsnowfall
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Thanks, Bill... I think I might hit some of the spots you mention when I get up that way, once I have a plane. I much prefer to build then fly... Still no sign of the two Chrysalis kits I ordered back mid-July, but I'm applying the aforementioned patience you folks recommended.

Looking forward to building soon. Thanks for the Cleveland slope info you mentioned; the closer to Elyria, the better for us. Cheers!

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
People fly regularly at LCCC in Elyria. I also know of a spot in Vermilion for sloping.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Got the kits! Just heard from my MIL that FIL had a big smile walking in from the mail delivery, which is just the effect I'd hoped for. Now to start the build; I suspect it'll be spring before we both are ready to fly.

Carnifax... would love to hear of each of the locations, the LCCC and the slope site in Vermilion. LCCC's quite convenient, in that the In-Laws are in Elyria, and Vermilion wouldn't be too much of a hike. Thanks again, all for the input.

Mike