HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Discussion
good beach flying wing?

in a couple weeks I'm going to Florida to see the last shuttle launch and we'll probably go to the beach too. I was wondering what wings are best to get for beach flying? I'm not looking for pure gliders, but something that can ride the wind well. I was thinking of the Xeno cause I need to bring it with me so cant be too large too.
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
not sure how I came across this thread, but what did you decide was best for beach flyin?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
that's what I'm asking, lol
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:58 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
My bad I saw your join date and thought it was a post date and I thought I was responding to an old thread and that you had gotten it by now; I was off

Are you looking for a kit, ARF, glider or power?
What beach are you flying? wind conditions? slopes (dunes)?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
yes I'm not too active here yet, been on and off. I'd like powered since Im not moving there till next year for college, and would like to use it here too. no kits maybe ARF but most likely RR and the like. from what I remember some dunes but mostly flat with usually a drop off going from street to beach (good for updrafts). It would be around the Cape Canaveral/ Daytona Beach aera
Last edited by pow-wow; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
I fly a bit down in FL and the dunes do not really produce much lift for slope soaring as there is not much of a slope. What is your skill level; what are some of the other planes in your hangar?

There are 3 that I have enjoyed having at the beach; one is BNF (or PNP) and the others are extremely simple arfs. Unfortunately, if you want scale that is not the direction I would send you. I recommend simple wings, the most efficient aircraft you can fly and excel in windy conditions that are common at the beach.

If you are an experienced pilot (and not otherwise), I would recommend the Parkzone Stryker Q. I emphasize with this one, to enjoy it you really must know how to handle a high performance aircraft safely as this goes 90+mph stock. A friend clocked his out of the box at over 103mph. Its speed, weight and design allow it to slice through the wind.

If speed is not for you; I HIGHLY recommend Windrider Bee wings. They have the most unbelievable airfoil that is nearly impossible to stall, and when they do it is a simple light shove forward. I have several of these; two I will recommend to you. Both are ideal power off gliders, I like having motors on them to reach altitute. At the beach, 5 mins of power on can let you soar for hours if you are following the birds and the lift.

I know, lots of build up before I reveal the two suggestions

The first is an absolute everyday flyer to keep in the trunk; can be flown with or with out power and involves taping two pieces of foam together and installing 2 servos. Thats it! It is the Windrider Bee 48" wing.

If you want to soar all day on the same 5 mins of power on, get yourself their Queen Bee. I went with EDF power, but it is 100" ws, does not stall, same construction method but with 4 servos. Its giant size is only 8oz/foot wingloading which is lighter that all those 3d planes so it will glide forever and is incredibly slow and easy to stay ahead of the controls. Not to mention you will get everones attention within a mile because of the ginormous size!!

Atlanta Hobby is their N American distributer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
256 Posts
Sorry for being off topic, but Atlanta Hobby has not had a queen bee in stock for almost 2 yrs. I tried to buy one directly of Ming, when he had xmas sale, but was unable to ship it, so he refunded my money.

Love to get one, but don't know where.
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
Well I got some good news news for you galognu; I am not sure the last time you went into their store or when you last called Cliff, but they have had them in stock all month. They have tons of Bees and SBDs and other windrider stuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,768 Posts
This wing is awesome,if you are ok with composite.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451939

I have made wings from epp along the same lines as these in the past and they are true perfomers on the beach.

This guy seems to have a nice product here.

Beach Skimming (2 min 4 sec)
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,674 Posts
For light wind sloping with a wing, it's hard to beat an Alula. Your time limitations probably won't allow that choice for this trip, but you might consider it for the future.

http://www.dream-flight.com/alula.html

AlulA-garden SAL (1 min 48 sec)
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I fly a bit down in FL and the dunes do not really produce much lift for slope soaring as there is not much of a slope. What is your skill level; what are some of the other planes in your hangar?

There are 3 that I have enjoyed having at the beach; one is BNF (or PNP) and the others are extremely simple arfs. Unfortunately, if you want scale that is not the direction I would send you. I recommend simple wings, the most efficient aircraft you can fly and excel in windy conditions that are common at the beach.

If you are an experienced pilot (and not otherwise), I would recommend the Parkzone Stryker Q. I emphasize with this one, to enjoy it you really must know how to handle a high performance aircraft safely as this goes 90+mph stock. A friend clocked his out of the box at over 103mph. Its speed, weight and design allow it to slice through the wind.

If speed is not for you; I HIGHLY recommend Windrider Bee wings. They have the most unbelievable airfoil that is nearly impossible to stall, and when they do it is a simple light shove forward. I have several of these; two I will recommend to you. Both are ideal power off gliders, I like having motors on them to reach altitute. At the beach, 5 mins of power on can let you soar for hours if you are following the birds and the lift.

I know, lots of build up before I reveal the two suggestions

The first is an absolute everyday flyer to keep in the trunk; can be flown with or with out power and involves taping two pieces of foam together and installing 2 servos. Thats it! It is the Windrider Bee 48" wing.

If you want to soar all day on the same 5 mins of power on, get yourself their Queen Bee. I went with EDF power, but it is 100" ws, does not stall, same construction method but with 4 servos. Its giant size is only 8oz/foot wingloading which is lighter that all those 3d planes so it will glide forever and is incredibly slow and easy to stay ahead of the controls. Not to mention you will get everones attention within a mile because of the ginormous size!!

Atlanta Hobby is their N American distributer.
I have a Stryker C I heard people on another thread say it does good in wind, but it's probably too fast to take advantage of any lift since there's not much. I'd say I'm intermediate, haven't flown many 4ch planes but have tones of sim flying which I've found out does help, and can fly the stryker.
I like the Bee wings, is there a website?cant seem to find it through googling. and do those require much buliding? also I cant get one that's too big cause we're flying there commercial. that edf option sounds tempting, lol can you tell me how you set it up? I wonder if there's a way to make a wing optionally powered where you could just take the engine of and fly it as a glider...
and klique, that looks nice too, but i'd like powered
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,768 Posts
Its way more fun without power, wind is you power.
Its way more pleasant too.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
I enjoy flying my light stryker at the beach.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155928

lightweight stryker beach flying, slow fly by (0 min 47 sec)
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
For light wind sloping with a wing, it's hard to beat an Alula. Your time limitations probably won't allow that choice for this trip, but you might consider it for the future.

http://www.dream-flight.com/alula.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8TsT...eature=related
Great plane, and I think there have been some excellent suggestions.

I know this goes into the face of all you slopers out there; but where he will be flying is really poor slope conditions. I highly suggest something of a hybrid where you can power up to altitude to search for thermals.

Check out this site: http://www.windrider.com.hk/
for orders, call Cliff at Atl Hobby

There is zero actual building done on this airframe it is more assembly; no glue used, not one screw used. All that is required is to tape the wing halves together and install 2 servos and linkages and go fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Its way more fun without power, wind is you power.
Its way more pleasant too.
I love slope wings but the only place to do slope flying here in central Texas are the dams and I'd rather not be that extreme O.o lol. I think ill do what's mentioned in the post above, probably get a bee and either put a folding prop, or see if I can work an EDF out