HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:01 PM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
Help!
GY401 SET-UP - DX7 - tail set up... help :(

so its been a while since i posted on here last....

i have just managed to assign a switch on my dx7 to make the transition between rate mode and hh mode ( originaly " my fist build" i pulled the gyro sensitivity plug off the wire as i thought i did not need this... DER!!!

so i fixed it so i can now switch between rate & hh mode,
so... now i am stuck with a few things hoping u guys can help me....

first off: how do i set up my tail from scratch, am i right in saying that in (rate mode), do i slide the whole tail servo setup, up and down the boom until i have enough pitch to counter the torque - in a stable hover? then that would be rate mode setup?

then is it just a case of once the tail holds in rate mode, simply flick the switch to go into AVCS (hh) and bobs ur uncle?

surely this can not work as if the servo horn is center, and i slide my boom servo down the boom sos i have enought pitch in rate mode to hold the tail, then if i can get it to hold, when i switch the lever to get into hh mode, surely my tail slider will be off-set leaving me with more pitch in one direction and less in the other??

im confused on setting my gyro up by myself... this is all that is stopping me from flying...

also....

on one of my 11.1v 3s 20c batterys,my imax b6 shows each individual cell, i know that im aiming for 4:20 for each cell, but on one of my batterys - 1 cell says 4:20 and the other 2 say 3:80, would u say my battery is knackerd, or it is still ok?

1 more question lol, i cannot seem to limit the movement on my tail servo, when i use the limit pot on the gyro, it only seems to stop binding in 1 direction, i have moved the linkage on my servo horn closer to the horns hub if you like and still it will only set in 1 direction, i am new to the DX7 as i have just managed to purchase 1, !!!! EXPENSIVE!!!!

thanks in advance guys
d1cky_kds is offline Find More Posts by d1cky_kds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
Personally I use the "gear channel" as rate/hh and use the travel adjustment to tune the gyro. in the travel menu, flip the switch to move the cursor to the rate or hh position. set the servo horn in center position and then position the servo where it keeps the heli balanced. then adjust the linkage so the tail rotor is "neutral" dead center. from there limit the travel via your radio on the rudder channel as to not allow binding in both directions. the gyro does the rest to hold the tail.

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
yeah its in my gear channel buddy.... like u say got the 2 travel adjust values then to adjust the gyro... "flip the switch to move the cursor to the rate or hh position...
at the mo, servo horn is center, tail slider is center and heli in rate mode.... so u say to slide the whole tail assembly down the boom until the tail holds ( as u said heli balanced?)
so this is still in rate mode!>?

so now the heli hovering - tail holding in rate due to slider being offset.... still on rate mode - adjust the linkage so that the slider is then re-centerd - servo is still centerd, still in rate mode... then flick gear channel into hh and she is done?

and u say to limit the travel on my radio. not my gyro? what do i put the limit pot on then? 50? 0? im using a dx7 and im new to it not sure of what im adjusting to stop the slider binding??

much appriciated dude.... thanks
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
?
??
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:14 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,454 Posts
The radio travel adjustment will not limit how far the servo travels in HH mode. That is used to set how fast the helicopter piro's. You need to set the travel limits on the gyro.
The Gy401 is good enough that you can set it up several ways. There are many faked Futaba's out, might want to do a search to see how to tell.
A few common ways:
--You can center the slider, use rudder subtrim in rate mode to set the neutral point. Program in the neutral point on the gyro. Adjust the travel pot.
--Center the slider, adjust the travel pot, and go fly in HH mode.
--Adjust the linkage or slide the servo for neutral rudder in rate mode. Use no subtrim/trim. Adjust travel, and go fly.
--A combination of these idea's.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:48 AM
Germany
Joined May 2009
840 Posts
you have written it correct in the first post how to do, thats how it works.

i used the 401 on my belt cp v2 and i'm using it now on my 500.

-slide the tailservo on the boom till the heli hovers in rate
-use the limit pot on the gyro to make sure it does not bind on the tail rotor housing
-make sure the limit pot is around ~100, if it is less 80 go one hole inside on the servo arm and start again with the setup process. if it is over 120 then go one hole outside.
-if you do it this way make sure there is no trim set

good luck
GaryX1001 is online now Find More Posts by GaryX1001
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
When you only think about hovering in rate mode as you position the tail servo you reduce rudder effectiveness where you need it most: in forward (or sideways, or reversing) flight.

That's why advanced RC heli pilots make sure the tail servo arm is at 90 degrees, then move the servo on the tail boom to center the pitch control slider so there is equal tail pitch travel in both directions.

If you wish you can use sub-trim in rate mode to dial in the gyro for hovering.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:47 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
when i said BALANCE the heli, i meant as in center of gravity. the servo horn should be at 90 degrees. and the tail rotor should be set dead center/neutral. then adjust accordingly from there via the radio.

CG
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
When you only think about hovering in rate mode as you position the tail servo you reduce rudder effectiveness where you need it most: in forward (or sideways, or reversing) flight.

That's why advanced RC heli pilots make sure the tail servo arm is at 90 degrees, then move the servo on the tail boom to center the pitch control slider so there is equal tail pitch travel in both directions.

i use the GY401 on all my heli's..i've never used "rate mode".. but i get the HH dead on just by moving the servo...too easy
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:48 AM
Germany
Joined May 2009
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post

the gy-401 is kinda old now, i dont think that "advanced rc heli pilots" still use it that often, whatever that means.
if you dont do the rate mode setup with the gy-401 the HH mode will not be rock solid and drift. i installed 2 and there always was this problem.
even the gy-401 manual tells you to setup this gyro in rate mode to work correct.
GaryX1001 is online now Find More Posts by GaryX1001
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:46 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,297 Posts
Nobody uses rate mode??? Except for setup on gyro the first time.....!
Go here and down load video...
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=28681
DanT is online now Find More Posts by DanT
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
first.. today i flew the heli, in rate mode, with the servo arm @ 90~, tail slider offset to counter torque, little but of sub trim she held nicely.... now what is it i do from here,? im confused heres what ive heard...

1: now adjust the linkage rod to make the slider center, and then flick into HH mode and thats it set up! (i cant see how this would work all it is doing is shortening my likage rod)

2: just leave it as it is in rate mode, slider off set, bit of sub trim, and fly all round like that (surely this cant be right, i want the tail to stay solid, not weathervane)

KCinNC"" on my 450 i used to fly in hh mode and just off set the slider til it held, then adjusted the whole tail hub on the shaft until i had even pitch left vs right, but i found on windy days, the tail was solid and in calm wind or none, it would drift alot....

?????????
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:00 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,454 Posts
Don't make it to hard. Once you set it up your done.
Decide which stratagy your using mostly:
--no trim or subtrim. Use the linkage in rate mode to set the rudder neutral.
--Center the slider, use subtrim in rate mode to set rudder neutral.
--Center the slider, use no subtrim, and fly it.
The middle option is usually the best. After any change in rudder subtrim you need to go to HH mode and switch between HH and rate at least 3 times at an interval of 1 second or less, leave in HH. This is for the gyro to memorize the subtrim. Dont forget to set the travel limits.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:00 AM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
i still dont get it, why would i want to offset my tail in rate mode to hold the tail, and then adjust the linkage to get slider center, this is pointless surely, all it does is shorten my linkage rods overal length, think about it.....

u say dont make it hard lol can it actualy get any harder :/

i just want to be able to fly my heli in hh mode without any drift, look i might sound stupid or come accross as slow lol but it seems nobody is explaining it simple enough....

forget travel limits for now... i need to know the next step to set my tail up, simplify it if you can.

set rudder nutural? as in the slider or the servo horn or trim?
she is hovering in rate mode, slider offset, servo horn 90~. what do i do now? adjusting the linkage to get slider center will make no change apart from making my linkage rod shorter in length... help help help
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1cky_kds View Post
i still dont get it, why would i want to offset my tail in rate mode to hold the tail, and then adjust the linkage to get slider center
Because you want full throw in both directions for more aggressive and aerobatic maneuvers. Prior to that type of flying you want your hands to get used to flying with normal control ranges.

It is actually the other way around: first you get it mechanically centered, then add a little sub-trim in rate mode if you want to set up that way.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Last edited by zen@lanset.com; Jun 27, 2011 at 07:41 PM.