HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
Build Log
Gaff-rigged catboat "Dynamite"

It was suggested I mention the build log for "Dynamite" in this forum.

It is a 12" gaff-rigged catboat. If all goes as planned, it should sail in 4-6" of water. I guess we'll see
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
looks nice.....can a cat boat sail into the wind as well as a sloop?..just curious.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
With me at the controls, they would be about equal...

(of course that means absolutely nothing... I'm a terrible sailor!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,333 Posts
A catboat should be the equal of a sloop going to windward. Where a cat has trouble is on a broad reach or a run. W/o the jib to offset the lever arm of the mainsail boom, the cat has a strong weather helm. This means that the skipper has to hold the rudder hard over to sail a straight line, and a large rudder deflection always slows the boat. The weather helm can be reduced substantially, however, by raising the centerboard part way (true for both cats and sloops). So, a knowledgeable skipper of a cat could probably beat a inexperienced sloop skipper on all points of sailing :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
I am pretty much a landlubber. All the plans show the centerboard as in 'Option A'. Is this the 'fully deployed' state, or is 'Option B'?

(I should mention the centerboard is drilled along the periphery of the curve, and there is a matching pin/hole in the centerboard trunk to lock the depth. If 'Option B' is valid, how is the centerboard kept in place?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
A. On B, that shark fin on the board usually sticks up through the centerboard trunk in the boat. Judging by the size, there's probably a series of holes along it's trailing edge where a pin goes to hold it in the spot you want. Put the pin in the top-most hole and sit it down on the pin and the board will be in the position of option A.

Most production boats now will use a line to raise and lower the centerboard.

A centerboard on a small boat is to give it lateral resistance (keep it from sailing sideways) because small boat's tend to be very shallow an fairly flat bottomed with very little lateral resistance without one. It typically has nothing to do ballast and if there is weight in the board, it so it'll lower when you want it down, and not float back up into the trunk.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:10 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
JerryTodd,

Thanks for that info. I had planned on fabricating the centerboard from brass for the added weight. From your comments, I guess plywood will do just as well. (or does the whole wind and water don't scale thing come into play here, and I'll need the added weight down low?)

I am planning on increasing the surface area of the centerboard by roughly 50% as a starting point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,466 Posts
For a sailing model you'll want something more like a dagger-board. You can make it removable and whatever length you need. It should probably be at least as long as the mast on your gaff rig. You probably wont need much weight to sit her where you want her in the water, so you'll need a deeper fin to get more righting-effect from the weight you have.

A little open boat like that will get knocked down a lot in gusts, and if you leave her open she take on water and sink. You should think about hiding some buoyancy inside and/or making the hull watertight.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:05 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
Hmmm.....

This boat is intended to sail in a fountain-type pond maybe 6" deep, so matching the height of the mast isn't an option.

I plan on buttoning up everything forward of the cockpit, and filling the voids elsewhere with foam. For now, I'll leave the centerboard as a stub, finish the hull to the point where I can work out my weight budget, and then see what my options are.

I'm guessing that a small 800maH lipo, a micro servo for the rudder, and a standard servo for the sail will be all the electronics I need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,010 Posts
Lookin Good RG !
I am learning from this.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:03 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
495 Posts
Any updates RG? Now that our titanic friend left i need entertainment!
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:34 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
I recut the frames, and installed the bottom and sheer plank. Then I tried to install the closing plank. There is a lot of twist near the bow, and the plywood I chose just won't lay down.

I'm picking up some thinner plywood this weekend, and will hopefully make some progress.

In the meantime, I have another build on the go...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
Parker, Colorado
Joined Sep 2008
495 Posts
Great! Im interested in a simple catboat for my father, I have an RG and would like to sail with him. What plans did you use?
stewmeat95 is offline Find More Posts by stewmeat95
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:15 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,842 Posts
Basic plans are available in Dynamite Payson's Boat Modeling book, and the full set (for the real thing) are available for $40.00 at www.instantboats.com

I've tweaked the plans a little to make it R/C.
RCG Plus Member