HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:54 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
Discussion
torque roll - not torque roll , but a rookie mistake post 12

after ditching my plane yesterday on launch i was thinking whats the best way to help reduce torque roll on launch ?
after driving around for an hour to find somewhere to fly and getting all setup and ready to go and then seeing the esc would only power up to 15A i thought what the hell lets go for it, not gonna waste another week with the weather and finding the time to fly

FPV Farm cruise , just having fun (3 min 16 sec)

you can see by the time i get my hand to the stick its already rolled over and too late ... throwing with my right hand and being mode 2 doesnt help

i built a similar plane but with bigger wings and it doesnt have this problem at all , but i dont like the big wings as its too bulky

i was thinking bigger prop and lower kv motor ? but this would make things worse ? or not ?

anyone else having a handful with torque rolls ?
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
Last edited by Blackrat; Jun 29, 2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: problem solved
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:58 AM
RC Wannabe!
vercelli, ITALY
Joined Dec 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post

i was thinking bigger prop and lower kv motor ?
no, you need smaller prop and higher kv to reduce torque roll
areis81 is offline Find More Posts by areis81
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:36 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
The only prop planes I hand launch is a Funjet and Ritewing but don't FPV with them. I put landing gear on my Skywalker to avoid hand launching for FPV. If you don't want to do that, consider a dolly. I recently made and used one for the first time on my Flyfly Mirage and it worked great. I know some guys launch los and transition to the goggles once at altitude. I have done that once and didn't like it.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:00 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Maybe you can setup your transmitter to use the rudder stick to give some aileron input to the right.

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami View Post
Maybe you can setup your transmitter to use the rudder stick to give some aileron input to the right.

Dirk.
sheesh ... now why didnt i think of that !!!!!!!!!!

thanks a million

*grabs Tx and starts programming*
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
To reduce torque roll you need less torque.
Less throttle and/or less prop.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
and/or do what I did, add a little right roll.

I did this via a switch. when switch is on a little up elevator (about 2mm) and a little right roll.

Never torques on me
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
745 Posts
Blackrat

What kind of wing do have there?
Flying over the dairy farms is a good idea getting fimiliar with the plane.

I have been eyeing the Hanekam Mountains for a while.
Stormsrivier and the Garden Route will have some beautiful scenery too.
Don't get down there to often though.

Henk
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
the real answer here is "throw it with less throttle and be smoother in your input" heh.

as said you can go old school and just move the trim over a tad. or make it heavier & more complex by tossing a gyro on the roll axis.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:43 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
don't throw dirrectly into the wind but rather slightly to the right of the wind
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
don't throw dirrectly into the wind but rather slightly to the right of the wind
also a good tip, thanks

my dad said the wind was blowing from behind ( slight breez ) i wasnt paying attention , i was more concerned about the esc spooling up oh well ... after watching the osd video it confirmed what he said lol couldnt argue with that

stormsriver coming up just need to iron out a few minor things now , but getting there
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:14 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
problem solved, its not torque roll

so after an awesome launch today (right trim to lift right elevon about 3-4mm) i thought a bit about the launch , it launched perfectly and immediately started to pull to the right. Click click on the left trim and got her flying nice and straight and proceeded on with my mission

when i got home i checked out the levels of the elevons and this is when the penny dropped , hear me out

because i have the video Tx on the far right hand wing (no counter weight on left wing) when i fly i need to trim in left hand trim to get her to fly level (the weight of the vtx pulls the right wing down) thats all good untill the next flight ....

because i now have left hand trim ( from the previous flight) and i launch the aircraft it does exactly that , it goes hard left , and bam

not torque roll but rather stupid rookie mistake , and this explains why sometimes it launches straight out perfectly level and doesnt always have the same left hand pull

yippeee , im still making a launch rail
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:17 AM
Gamble with Gravity
Joined Jun 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
you can see by the time i get my hand to the stick its already rolled over and too late ... throwing with my right hand and being mode 2 doesnt help

i built a similar plane but with bigger wings and it doesnt have this problem at all , but i dont like the big wings as its too bulky

i was thinking bigger prop and lower kv motor ? but this would make things worse ? or not ?

anyone else having a handful with torque rolls ?
I had the same problem with my Falcon Flying wing. I couldn't see how to throw it correctly. I tried IBCrazy's "sky hook" toss and that was ok, but still didn't fix it. My solution was to use a different plane for FPV.

Try the sky hook. Instead of tossing the plane forward, throw it in an arc over your shoulder kind of like a lay-up shot in basketball. You can tilt the plane in the thorw so the torque roll results in a leveled out plane.
Gamblerman is offline Find More Posts by Gamblerman
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
I think when most people talk about torque roll on a hand launch, it is just a bad hand launch....

Maybe examine your launch technique first? Are you really launching it with wings level? Also I think not having your thumb on the stick is a very bad idea....

Try to learn to launch with your left hand, then you can correct instantly. It feels weird at first but it is easy once you do it.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
Quote:
because i have the video Tx on the far right hand wing (no counter weight on left wing) when i fly i need to trim in left hand trim to get her to fly level (the weight of the vtx pulls the right wing down) thats all good untill the next flight ....
Why no counter balancing when designing that? Seems it will be more stress throughout the entire flight as the plane compensates for the weight with trim on one side. I'm guessing you'd lose some performance due to that.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave