SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Discussion
Reflections

Got this E-mail from a friend today, thought I would share it.

Tour boats ferry people out to the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii every thirty minutes.
We just missed a ferry and had to wait thirty minutes.
I went into a small gift shop to kill time.
In the gift shop, I purchased a small book entitled, "Reflections on Pearl Harbor " by Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C.
He was paged and told there was a phone call for him.
When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet.

Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet.
He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941.
There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.

On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.
Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters every where you looked.
As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?"
Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice.
Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, or God was taking care of America. Which do you think it was?"
Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?"

Nimitz explained:
Mistake number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships.
If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow everyone of those ships to America to be repaired. As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America.
And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: Every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is on top of the ground in storage tanks five miles away over that hill.
One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply.
That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make, or God was taking care of America.

I've never forgotten what I read in that little book.
It is still an inspiration as I reflect upon it.

In jest, I might suggest that because Admiral Nimitz was a Texan, born and raised in Fredricksburg, Texas -- he was a born optimist.

But anyway you look at it--Admiral Nimitz was able to see a silver lining in a situation and circumstance where everyone else saw only despair and defeatism.
President Roosevelt had chosen the right man for the right job.
We desperately needed a leader that could see silver linings in the midst of the clouds of dejection, despair and defeat.

There is a reason that our national motto is, "IN GOD WE TRUST."
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,856 Posts
Mark, thinks for posting that. I have never seen it before and I hope I never forget it. When you combine that with Midway and the fact that Truman was picked to be the last VP to serve with FDR, you cannot help but believe that God has indeed had a hand in the creation and continuation of the United States of America. I hope that even though so many have forgotten Him that He never forgets US.

Post of this year for sure.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcj View Post
you cannot help but believe that god has indeed had a hand in the creation and continuation of the united states of america. I hope that even though so many have forgotten him that he never forgets us.

Post of this year for sure.

+1.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
Snopes>?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:57 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund View Post
Got this E-mail from a friend today, thought I would share it.

Tour boats ferry people out to the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii every thirty minutes.
We just missed a ferry and had to wait thirty minutes.
I went into a small gift shop to kill time.
In the gift shop, I purchased a small book entitled, "Reflections on Pearl Harbor " by Admiral Chester Nimitz.

Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C.
He was paged and told there was a phone call for him.
When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet.

Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet.
He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941.
There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.

On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.
Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters every where you looked.
As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?"
Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice.
Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make, or God was taking care of America. Which do you think it was?"
Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?"

Nimitz explained:
Mistake number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships.
If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow everyone of those ships to America to be repaired. As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America.
And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: Every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is on top of the ground in storage tanks five miles away over that hill.
One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply.
That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make, or God was taking care of America.

I've never forgotten what I read in that little book.
It is still an inspiration as I reflect upon it.

In jest, I might suggest that because Admiral Nimitz was a Texan, born and raised in Fredricksburg, Texas -- he was a born optimist.

But anyway you look at it--Admiral Nimitz was able to see a silver lining in a situation and circumstance where everyone else saw only despair and defeatism.
President Roosevelt had chosen the right man for the right job.
We desperately needed a leader that could see silver linings in the midst of the clouds of dejection, despair and defeat.

There is a reason that our national motto is, "IN GOD WE TRUST."
That has all the hallmarks of a chain email.

Let's look at just one of the readily verifiable facts that is contained therein.

Quote:
Nimitz explained:

http://www.military.com/Resources/Hi...earlharbor.htm

Quote:
When the attack ended shortly before 10:00 a.m., less than two hours after it began, the American forces has paid a fearful price. Twenty-one ships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet were sunk or damaged. Aircraft losses were 188 destroyed and 159 damaged, the majority hit before they had a chance to take off. There were a total of 2,403 American casualties, including 68 civilians, most of them killed by improperly fused anti-aircraft shells landing in Honolulu. There were 1,178 military and civilian wounded.
So, the numbers do not tally. Either Admiral Nimitz wasn't aware of the actual numbers of casualties, or his words were not accurately reported, in that conversation with a junior helmsman.

The notion that the three "mistakes" mentioned are an indication that God was looking after America is bizarre.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:02 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Also worth mentioning that it wasn't Mark's friend who missed the boat and bought the book, confirming the status as a chain email.

http://stargazer12.wordpress.com/201...-god-we-trust/
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:05 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam wonderful spaaaaaaam (with apologies to Eric Idle)!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:15 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Oh look, another discrepancy.

http://www.johngreavesart.ca/delo.htm

Quote:
Admiral Nimitz Arrives At Pearl Harbor - Dec. 25, 1941
" I was privileged to be one of the pilots that flew Adm. Nimitz from San Diego to Pearl Harbor
on Christmas Day, 1941, about two weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Adm. Nimitz was
to relieve Adm. Husband Kimmel and take over the badly wounded Pacific Fleet. We took off
from San Diego in the early evening of 24 Dec in a PB2Y-2, Coronado, BuNo. 1635. The Coronado
was a 4 engine seaplane, a big brother of the PBY Catalina. My log book shows the flight took
17.2 hours and we arrived at Pearl Harbor about mid morning of Christmas day, 1941.
Upon arriving at Pearl, we invited Adm. Nimitz up to the flight deck and asked him if he would
like to observe the damage and destruction inflicted by the Japs. He eagerly accepted. We made
wide circles over Pearl Harbor as well as Hickham Field. He was seated in the left hand pilot's seat
for purposes of this observation and he just kept shaking his head and clucking his tongue. God
knows what was going through his mind but if it was anything like what was going through ours
it was: "Those dirty bastards! Somehow, someway, we are going to make them pay!" We were
looking at the West Virginia, the California, the Utah, the Arizona, all crumpled hulks. We were
looking at skeletons of what were once hangars and flight lines filled with the junk of what were
once military planes. The carnage was sickening.
That's a personal testimony from the pilot who flew Admiral Nimitz to Pearl Harbor, arriving mid-morning on Christmas Day 1941, not Christmas Eve as stated in the chain email.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Leccy you're 'spoiling it all' - next you'll be claiming some sort of propoganda machine is at work...............
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:20 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Over 400,000 American lives were lost in WW2. Worldwide, the loss in life was over 60 million. Maybe as high as 78 million, as estimates vary.

It was the deadliest military conflict in history.

"God" must have been very angry with the world.

It is a clear indicator of how some people are capable of justifying anything to fit their "beliefs".
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:21 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Awwww not you as well.................
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:24 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Here's another strand that warrants a dose of looking at. Nothing there about being paged at the theatre and taking a telephone call on the 7th December 1941 from the President.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/naval/p/nimitz.htm

Quote:
Nimitz in World War II:

Coming ashore in 1939, he was selected to serve as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation. He was in this role when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Ten days later, Nimitz was selected to replace Admiral Husband Kimmel as Commander-in-Chief of the US Pacific Fleet. Traveling west, he arrived at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Day. Officially taking command on December 31, Nimitz immediately began efforts to rebuild the Pacific Fleet and halt the Japanese advance across the Pacific.
What time did news of the attack hit Washington on 7th December 1941?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:42 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
http://www.militarymuseum.org/Nimitz.html

Quote:
n the spring of 1939, Nimitz was disappointed when he received orders to return to the Navy Department as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation. Nimitz, at the outbreak of World War II, still Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, received word from Secretary of the Navy Knox on December 16, 1941, that he was to take command of the Pacific Fleet. Nimitz would write: "It is a great responsibility, and I will do my utmost to meet it."

Following the Pearl Harbor debacle, President Roosevelt had appointed Admiral Earnest J. King Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Fleet with Headquarters in Washington, D.C., Admiral Thomas C. Hart was placed in command of the Asiatic Fleet, and Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, on the last day of December 1941, would become Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet.
That telephone call from President Roosevelt on 7th December 1941 doesn't seem to crop up anywhere other than in the chain email.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:00 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Now, that statement that 9/10ths of the crew of the ships were ashore at the time of the attack.

This is a forum post and therefore not verified as a primary source, but it makes sense. More sense than every battleship in the fleet only having 10% of it's crew on-board.

Quote:
From the INVESTIGATION OF THE PEARL HARBOR ATTACK REPORT

PERSONNEL.

A summarized statement of Navy personnel actually on board ship at the
beginning of the attack is as follows:

On board
Commanding officers of battleships .................. 5 out of 8.
Commanding officers of cruisers ..................... 6 out of 7.
Commanding officers of destroyers ................... 63 percent.
Damage control officers of battleships .............. 6 out of 8.

On board
Average percentage of officers:
Battleships (approximate) .......................... 60 to 70 percent.
Cruisers, battle force (approximate) ............... 65 percent.
Destroyers, battle force (approximate) ............. 50 percent.
Average percentage of men:
Battleships ........................................ 95 percent.
Cruisers, battle force ............................. 98 percent.
Destroyers, battle force ........................... 85 percent.

There were ample personnel present and ready to man all naval shore
installations.

In the case of the Army, a summary report compiled by the Adjutant
General of the Hawaiian Department indicates that at least 85 percent of
the officers and men were present with their units at 8 a. m., December
http://warships1discussionboards.yuk...Harbor?page=-1
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,856 Posts
But do we actually know whether the story is true or false? I haven't been able to confirm or deny it.

But the undeniable truth is that The United States of America has survived by the Grace of God.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad