SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Danal Estes's Avatar
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Discussion
Arduino support to drive an Eagle Tree Power Panel LCD

I recently wanted to drive an Eagle Tree Power Panel LCD display with an Arduino. I found lots of partial examples, but nothing approaching a complete sketch. Once I completed my other projects, I packaged up the code into a couple of "demonstrator" sketches. One uses the Arduino standard "Wire" library. The other has its own primitives for i2c support, and is therefore about 960 bytes smaller. They are otherwise nearly identical. It is a fairly full implementation, including cursor positioning, and the ability to define custom characters.

The Power Panel lists for US $40 at Eagle Tree. It may be available for less at other vendors. It is small, lightweight, and being transflective is much more readable in daylight than most back-lit LCDs.

The Arduino shown below is a Mini Pro from Sparkfun Electronics. The code has also been tested on an Arduino Uno.

I hope these examples will help anyone wishing to drive this display with an Arduino (or maybe even other micro controllers).

Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:48 AM
Registered User
ssatoru's Avatar
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Wow, it is very nice to see ready to use code. Thank you for sharing Danal!

It worked fine on Arduino Nano v3 I have.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Danal Estes's Avatar
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
Wow, it is very nice to see ready to use code. Thank you for sharing Danal!

It worked fine on Arduino Nano v3 I have.

Satoru
Good to hear that it worked on someone else's hardware. That's always the ultimate test!
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2011, 03:59 AM
Team Basement-RC
odam2k's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
I don't understand why this thread hasn't more responses, this is fantastic stuff! Now I have a simple, easy to use display for my projects, and its been lying in a drawer unused up till now.

Thanks so much for sharing... now if I can get the arduino and the MKQuad talking via bluetooth or xbee, I'll be laughing!

Thanks again!
odam2k is offline Find More Posts by odam2k
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:59 AM
Don L.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Joined Feb 2006
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odam2k View Post
I don't understand why this thread hasn't more responses, this is fantastic stuff! Now I have a simple, easy to use display for my projects, and its been lying in a drawer unused up till now.

Thanks so much for sharing... now if I can get the arduino and the MKQuad talking via bluetooth or xbee, I'll be laughing!

Thanks again!
Agree! I considered the Power Panel LCD for a telemetry display I built recently, but decided to go with a bulkier serial device when I found out the Eagle Tree LCD was I2C. Now, I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks, Danal!!!

- Don

Edit: Odam2K, here's the clunky version talking with MK via Bluetooth.
dleroi is offline Find More Posts by dleroi
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:03 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
This is really great.
I wish I'd read it before buying the LCD117 kit which is a serial connected pic controlled back-lit LCD.
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/20x4lcd-lcd117kit
It is cheap, but serial ports are a scarce commodity in Arduino. 1 on everything except the the mega where you get 4.
To have a cheap widely available outdoor readable LCD via I2C is a really cool.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
Registered User
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
982 Posts
This is an alternative albeit using a serial port. http://cats-whisker.com/web/node/7

Peter


Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
This is really great.
I wish I'd read it before buying the LCD117 kit which is a serial connected pic controlled back-lit LCD.
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/20x4lcd-lcd117kit
It is cheap, but serial ports are a scarce commodity in Arduino. 1 on everything except the the mega where you get 4.
To have a cheap widely available outdoor readable LCD via I2C is a really cool.
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Danal Estes's Avatar
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
There's a ton of serial LCDs out there. They all tend to use similar modules.

The Eagle Tree's two big differences are:
  • I2C Interface
  • Daylight Readable
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
Team Basement-RC
odam2k's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleroi View Post
Agree! I considered the Power Panel LCD for a telemetry display I built recently, but decided to go with a bulkier serial device when I found out the Eagle Tree LCD was I2C. Now, I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks, Danal!!!

- Don

Edit: Odam2K, here's the clunky version talking with MK via Bluetooth.
Can you share your code?
odam2k is offline Find More Posts by odam2k
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:38 PM
Don L.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Joined Feb 2006
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odam2k View Post
Can you share your code?
Yes. FYI, the ground station hardware is the DIY Drones Ardustation kit and the software was adaped from the "AltaStation", here:
http://en.altapix.com/technique/altastation.html

I modified the original AltaStation code to work on the ArduStation hardware. It was mostly related to talking to a different display and monitoring the buttons. My version (at least for now) uses only 2 of the buttons to move through the display screens.

If you're able to program an Arduino, you can customize the code to make it display whatever telemetry data you want.

PM your email address and I'll send you the Arduino code.

- Don
dleroi is offline Find More Posts by dleroi
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:21 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc863 View Post
This is really great.
I wish I'd read it before buying the LCD117 kit which is a serial connected pic controlled back-lit LCD.
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/20x4lcd-lcd117kit
It is cheap, but serial ports are a scarce commodity in Arduino. 1 on everything except the the mega where you get 4.
To have a cheap widely available outdoor readable LCD via I2C is a really cool.


You can use any digital pin to send data to LCD117 (or any other USART Serial LCD).

Just use the SoftwareSerial Library in Arduino.

Also, it's not too difficult to hack the pic driver chip on these displays.

Here is my hacked firmware for Sparkfun Serial LCD display (sry about reflections...).
If anyones interested, I can post in a new thread....
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2014, 11:37 AM
Registered User
Gerry B's Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post


You can use any digital pin to send data to LCD117 (or any other USART Serial LCD).

Just use the SoftwareSerial Library in Arduino.

Also, it's not too difficult to hack the pic driver chip on these displays.

Here is my hacked firmware for Sparkfun Serial LCD display (sry about reflections...).
If anyones interested, I can post in a new thread....
I know it's been a while but I am interested. Also, do you know if a standard HD44780 LCD display can be used in place of the power panel and what would be the pinout connection to the eagletree logger?
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2014, 12:44 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B View Post
I know it's been a while but I am interested. Also, do you know if a standard HD44780 LCD display can be used in place of the power panel and what would be the pinout connection to the eagletree logger?
not directly, you would need an i2c -> HD44780 LCD 'bridge module' which would translate the i2c cmds/data for the LCD.
connection will be standard i2c, so: 0v, V+, SDA & SCL (exactly what sequence I cannot say but could easily be determined)

HTH
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014, 03:02 AM
Registered User
Gerry B's Avatar
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Hi Mike

Thanks for your response. I picked up a I2c shield kit today. I will build/wire it up and let you know how it goes.

Gerry
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 02:30 AM
Starting with FPV
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
16 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Danal.
To add my 2 cents, I've put it in the library.
Enjoy.
AlexTakt is offline Find More Posts by AlexTakt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Eagle Tree LCD Power Panel protocol? GeorgeP DIY Electronics 174 Apr 03, 2013 05:18 PM
Sold Eagle Tree MicroPower E-Logger With Power Panel LCD Display For Sale!! Super D Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 May 03, 2011 05:00 PM
Sold Eagle Tree MicroPower E-Logger w/ LCD power panel $75 greykat Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 May 24, 2007 12:27 AM
For Sale Eagle Tree MicroPower E-Logger w/ LCD power panel greykat Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 May 21, 2007 04:45 PM