HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
GR, How the Heck do you find the time to design, build, and fly SO many planes?!?!? Seems like I run into you in just about any thread I go into! You are my hero! I count myself lucky if I get to fly twice a week. Look forward to your insights on this plane.
Ive got about 12 planes in various states of flight readiness and build right now(all foamies at this time),and some others on the way. Roughly half are kits and half a scratch designs,NEVER enough time in a day for me. I fly when i can.. and thats not very much but i try to make the best of the time i have during off hours.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
Get Real, I'm looking forward to your pull pull results. Are you going to cut your own control horns? I mostly fly with the 1300mAh packs as well, since I have large collection of them. I'll try pull pull on mine soon as well.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Odd, this plane doesn't show on Techone's website. Do they only offer it thru outside dealers maybe? Hard to beat the HK price, just gotta worry if there are any issues.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Welp just ordered everything i need, most will be here next week, very excited to start building this and get it in the air!
georgerm is offline Find More Posts by georgerm
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:44 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,906 Posts
Used some control horns i had laying around to save time. Auw came out to 27.5oz,should be able to get a few flights in this weekend with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:48 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Like the wheel pants! Nice touch.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,906 Posts
Maiden Flight

Got a few flights in,i prefer the tail weight. Balanced fine with the pull pull set up on the ground but in the air it flew better for me with the servo weight in the tail of the plane. Flew two flights after the maiden with a couple hs 65 servos just placed in the factory slots and it balanced better while inverted and it flew better overall for me(manual cg was a bit nose heavy for me). Didnt do much with it getting bumped around today but will put the servos in the suggested locations and get it dialed in,expo was close for me but need to kick up the elevator throw a bit when i redo the servo set up. Best 68 bucks i spent on a plane this year,especially for a plane of this size and power class.

HobbyKing Yak 55 Windy Maiden Flight! (4 min 46 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,906 Posts
The other two flights with servos in the tail. Im sure results may vary depending on weight of outrunner,lipos and servos etc but it balanced well in the air for me. Guess if your concerned about the spec cg it would be good to start out with a 1500mah pack or larger,im sticking with the current set up and the nanotech 1300s for now with the servos in the tail.

HobbyKing Yak 55 Balance And Set Up Flights (7 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:41 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Well guys I finally bit the bullet and ordered one of these and even paid the EMS freight cost from Hong Kong to get it over here.

I am gonna power it with either the KDA 22-15M or KDA 22-20L from Hobby King.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2105
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2106

Prop with APC 11x4.7SF and Turnigy Plush 30A esc.
For servo's I plan to use the MG14's from Hobby king.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t%5Fservo.html
I've used them in five planes so far and although a bit more slop than the Hitec HS65MG they certainly perform ok in foam planes for what its worth.

Question on the motor, do you think these two motor choices will have enough power to 3D this large epp plane?

Not sure how they compare to other motors people have used like the Suppo 2217 and the likes of that.

Is this plane more likely to be tail heavy with the tail mounted servos? And therefor benefit from a slightly heavy 85g motor.

Lipo was going to be Turnigy 1300mA 3s.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:18 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,210 Posts
Hey bigroger, I'd say the 22-15M would be underpowered judging by the specs. I'd go with the 22-20M. I'm pushing the Suppo 2217 beyond it's specs by quite a bit in mine, but I know that it can handle it for bursts. I don't have experience with the KDA 22-15M so I'm not sure if you could push it as hard or not.

Forgot to mention, I'm running similar weight MG servo's in the tail of mine and a 1300mAh packs and I like how it flies. I've also ran it with 1550mAh packs and 1800mAh packs (1800's don't fit well). The 1550mAh packs are ideal for weight, fit and flight duration.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Nov 03, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:31 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,906 Posts
Looking forward to flying mine this weekend. Will keep the same power set up i started with and the servos are now mounted in the tail per the manual but it was nice to try out the pull pull set up if you plan on a lighter set up than im using. Still difficult to believe this plane delivers on performance in the air for 68 bucks shipped.. not to mention 100 bucks less than similar sized epp planes in this class. The only thing im thinking of possibly changing is adding a bucks worth of carbon for added horizontal stab support. I might have to order another one just as a back up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:20 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Thanks Khen,
I've also got a Hengli W28-34 1100kV from one of my 39" skywing planes.

Its a little ripper at 65grams, it will swing an APC 11x4.7SF at 320W and 30Amps draw.

Shot my 39" sbach around like a bullet out of a gun.

Sbach is retired now but motor still runs sweet as a dream.

I guess I'll play around with motors, as I have a couple of options depending on where I need the CG to be.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:38 AM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Got all my parts on Friday and have been building slowly for the past 2 days, (due to marching band) but ive gotten to the part where i have to install the wings in the fuse, and they do not fit nicely. the spars in the wings do not line up with the block in the fuse. not by much but enough so that it doesn't fit correctly. that's just on thing ive noticed when putting this plane together. anyone else have this problem?
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:52 PM
Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
372 Posts
Flew mine again this weekend - great fun.

No problems with wing alignment, bent fuse. Only criticism I had was the weak ply servo surrounds.

Great fun!
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:12 AM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Well i got it all together, no big problems. i just trimmed the wing just a little so it fit in the slot better. Maidened it on sunday, wow its alot different than the small profiles that im used to flying. But im sure ill get used to it, for 70 bucks shipped to me it seems like a great plane.