HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
I'm really liking the looks of this. Kevin, are you satisfied with the 2217 on it? Your price for that motor is right in my wheelhouse. Been lusting for a bigger plane, maybe this could be the one.
I am satisfied with the 2217 motor in the Yak. It doesn't have balistic power, but plenty for my taste. I've pushed this motor beyond spec with the 11x5.5E prop and it keeps going and going. It's a real work horse motor. I know many others are running it in the similar sized/weight EPP planes as well.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:21 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Great! I've been pleased with the 2208-14 and 2212-13 Suppos. I seriously think that they're the best bang-for-the-buck motors out there. Your prices on them, and $2 shipping makes an attractive deal! I'll get one ordered next paycheck. You say you're pushing it with the 11x5.5. Any idea on amp draw with that prop? I'll be running a 40 a Mystery esc, so a little headroom maybe. From the HK video, seems it needs the 11 in prop.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:53 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Would this motor be ok? it seems to have close to the same specs as the motor that khen is running. thanks.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m72-opti...15-1050kv.html
georgerm is offline Find More Posts by georgerm
Last edited by georgerm; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:29 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Great! I've been pleased with the 2208-14 and 2212-13 Suppos. I seriously think that they're the best bang-for-the-buck motors out there. Your prices on them, and $2 shipping makes an attractive deal! I'll get one ordered next paycheck. You say you're pushing it with the 11x5.5. Any idea on amp draw with that prop? I'll be running a 40 a Mystery esc, so a little headroom maybe. From the HK video, seems it needs the 11 in prop.
I just measured amp draw with the 11x5.5 and it reads 38 amps. I'm pushing it harder than I thought. That's static, I'm sure unloaded in the air it would drop to low 30's. I imagine you could go with the 2217/8 1100 kv and still have great power. I'm at 5000 feet altitude, so the same setup would draw more amps at a lower altitude.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:33 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerm View Post
Would this motor be ok? it seems to have close to the same specs as the motor that khen is running. thanks.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m72-opti...15-1050kv.html
I've got that motor and its been good, but it wouldn't have the power to 3D this plane. I have it in a 16oz plane.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:38 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I've got that motor and its been good, but it wouldn't have the power to 3D this plane. I have it in a 16oz plane.
Oh hmm well motors i still don't really understand that well, do you have a recommendation from hobbypartz? (trying to keep the number of places i have to buy stuff down)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:46 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
What about this one?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m57-opti...-1050kv-2.html
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:47 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
No specs posted for that one. I took a look at their "Rocket" series, and the 2220 1050 on there looked similar to the 2217 Suppo. Only showed at 120w,tho. The Suppo on a 10x6 is showing around 228.
Last edited by EZglider; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:02 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
My brother bought that Exceed RC 2220 1050 for a 42" 18oz LF Yak about a year ago and it was a dog. It could barely hover the Yak and was HOT when it came down. I recommended it to him at the time because I liked my Exceed 2215 in my smaller plane. It could have just been a bad one though, not sure.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:03 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
I just put a exceed rocket 3020-990 kv on mine a 45 amp esc and run 2200 lipos and it will fly around at 1/4 throttle, will hover below 1/2 throttle with authority and rocket ship verticals at 3/4 to full. I glued my wing on used t-pro 9 g metal gear servos You have to make a new plate for the motor but pretty simple made it conform to the original in height and made sure a good glue joint to the epp and original mount. great combo and helps with the tail heaviness of the airplane. Bought motor at hobbypartz for 20 bucks, and am using my heli batts when not flying them.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:51 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Started to get mine ready for the weekend. With the 1300 pack its gonna be about 28oz plus or minus.. will weigh it again when everything is in place. With the lighter pack and motor there is no way it will balance in the 110mm-130mm range but i figured that would be the case using lighter gear. Cut out new servo slots for the tail control servos,will still need some extensions for servo wires. Will try and get it finished later tonight for a maiden over the weekend.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:09 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
GR, How the Heck do you find the time to design, build, and fly SO many planes?!?!? Seems like I run into you in just about any thread I go into! You are my hero! I count myself lucky if I get to fly twice a week. Look forward to your insights on this plane.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:05 AM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Welp seems like theres no good options from hobbypartz so i guess ill just go with the 1250kv from rcplane builder and a 30amp esc.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:30 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Started to get mine ready for the weekend. With the 1300 pack its gonna be about 28oz plus or minus.. will weigh it again when everything is in place. With the lighter pack and motor there is no way it will balance in the 110mm-130mm range but i figured that would be the case using lighter gear. Cut out new servo slots for the tail control servos,will still need some extensions for servo wires. Will try and get it finished later tonight for a maiden over the weekend.
Cool! I'll have to see where mine balances at with the 1300 packs and 2217 70g motor. I have a bad habit of not paying attention to the COG recommendations in the manuals on these foamies. I do a quick balance and if it feels within reason I huck it and adjust according to how it flies. With the 1300 it does fly a bit tail heavy, but not overly twitchy. I think your pull pull mod will make the difference there. My 1550mAh packs just barely fit into the battery cut out and seem like the ideal pack. My 1800s don't fit correctly so I fly them skewed into the slot. It tracks nice with the 1800s in the wind, but I prefer the lighter packs in calmer conditions.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Usually i wouldnt be to critical of cg specs in a manual with a foamie..almost every plane ive ever flown was slightly or more so nose heavy with manual cg suggestions and ive moved packs further back for best flight in the air,a few here have said its tail heavy using similar or heavier gear so i measured the cg suggested and its right at the wingspar to slightly behind it. With the lighter outrunner and 1300 pack it balanced way aft for me. Both upright and inverted it was a bit tail heavy but its how the plane flys in the air that counts.. keep in mind im using finger tips to balance though but it wasnt balancing in the cg range spec from the manual(balanced aft of the 110-130mm listed) without a cg stand i have no idea how accurate or how far off its gonna balance at. Im sure the cg in the manual isnt spot on for everyone for the plane to fly perfect hands off upright and inverted,usually its a conservative cg point that will keep you out of trouble on a maiden(nose heavy) but after flying the plane youll usually find yourself moving a pack further back for best 3d flight and overall flying when they balance exactly on the cg point listed. I only plan on flying mine with the 1300 packs so i wanted to give myself some breathing room for light set ups and cut servo slots for a pull pull set up. If anything i could throw a pair of servos back in the tail and not touch anything else and leave the pull pull set up intact and see if it flys tail heavy once i have the maiden in.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member