SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Definitely want to here your report on the Glaciers.
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:21 AM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Definitely want to here your report on the Glaciers.
They should be here by middle of the week; we are supposed to be in the 70's next weekend versus the mid 40's this weekend so should be able to get a few flights on them.

RCNXS
rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:54 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
I removed the little section of foam right behind the firewall on the Yak. That leaves me just enough room where the 106mm batts. fit snugly.

Regarding batteries, these seem really nice, I have 25-30 charges through each -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11911

but then I saw these for a lot less money and decided to try them. Not as much experience with them, but they seem fine so far?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:00 PM
Hungary, Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg, Csenger
Joined Aug 2010
191 Posts
I'm using the cheapest Turnigy 20C 2200 mAh batteries, A little bit of the heavier side, but good for me...
feket663 is online now Find More Posts by feket663
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,541 Posts
Getting there
I managed to do a little more inverted flight today even in some blustery winds, very happy learner

Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:25 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
I am using a mixture of Turnigy 1500mah 20C and 1600mah 30C I find I need to add a little extra wieght with the 15s to balance it right where as the 16s are fine with any extra weight. I am thiking of getting some 1600mah 20C as they are almost half the price of the 30C batteries.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:11 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I removed the little section of foam right behind the firewall on the Yak. That leaves me just enough room where the 106mm batts. fit snugly.

Regarding batteries, these seem really nice, I have 25-30 charges through each -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11911

but then I saw these for a lot less money and decided to try them. Not as much experience with them, but they seem fine so far?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934
Those are a good 40g's heavier than the ones I am using. I got a safe 5 mins with mixed 3D, which is ok when everything is up close and low. My balance is about right with the 1550's and a tad nose heavy with the 1800's. If I like the plane after a few more flights, I may swap the motor for an Omega 72. I have one and it makes 400W on 12 X 6 but I prop it down to an 11 X 5.5 for heat of summer. The Omega will drop about 20g's off the nose which will be a perfect balance or slightly tail heavy which I like.

RCNXS
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Yes, realize the 2200's are heavy. That's kinda why I use them in the wind? I have an 1800 and a pair of 1600's that I use in this plane as well. The 3530 I'm using is about 72g and has plenty of power. More than necessary really. I'd LOVE to find a way to drop another 20g up front as well - even if it cost me some performance? I mean, as long as I can accelerate up out of a hover, I think I'd be good? Haven't seen anything yet that's significantly lighter without just killing available performance....

Been flying without gear due to the snow. That's definitely a step in the right direction! I may not put them back on? -Al
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:16 AM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
[QUOTE=Mr Big Head;23728068]Definitely want to here your report on the Glaciers.[/QUOTE\

Received my Glacier 1800's, Very good service and fast shipping from EpBuddy. The packs were less expensive then from HobbyPartz ans shipping was on 7.99 priority for 3 packs. Plus for me, they already had a deans type connector so saved me a few bucks and my time. Also, they come with a nifty little clip for the balancing club to help better take care of that. They are identical in size as Gens-Ace and the weight on my scale showed 145g.

Weather sucks so do not know if I will get to fly them this weekend but will let you know how they perform when I do. The fit the standard slot without mods for the HK Yak. Will be great in my 3DHS Edge and Slick also.

RCNXS
Last edited by rcnxs; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:22 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
I have changed over to a 11x7 prop from Landing Products it is a much nicer prop than the 12x6 HK prop. I loose some vertical performance but it is quieter, balanced ready for use, I am not sure if it is torque related but it seems to fly smoother.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
What is the best method for gluing the wings on guys ? On the Telinks I know you glue them together and then put them into the fuse before gluing the fuse halves together. What is the best way to do it on this bird.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Mine are still removable in this plane, but I have a Swift as well, which is nearly identical, just a little bigger. I used Welder to glue the wing halves together on that plane, obviously paying very close attention to keeping the 2 halves aligned! After drying overnight, I inserted them into the fuselage. More very careful alignment, and once assured of that I used medium CA to bond. Just let it wick into the joint a few inches at a time. Then do the next area. Doing it that way might help from making a mess as the stuff will run until dry. Doing too big an area at once makes it hard to keep an eye on?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,445 Posts
Do not glue the wings, I just dorked my Yak into the ground only from about 2m up but no damage because the wings just popped off the CF spar. Unhook the rubber bands push the wings on, hook on the rubber bands and connect up the aileron servo lead back in the air in 2 minutes. If the wings had been glued on there would have been more damage because there would be no give.
Last edited by Great_Goose; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:10 AM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
I concur with you Great Goose. I've tagged the ground a few times as well. If not for the wings popping out my yak would've been pretty tore up. I think these releasable wings are a great idea. Just keep a tight rubber band on them and you're good!
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
Do not glue the wings, I just dorked my Yak into the ground only from about 2m up but no damage because the wings just popped off the CF spar. Unhook the rubber bands push the wings on, hook on the rubber bands and connect up the aileron servo lead back in the air in 2 minutes. If the wings had been glued on there would have been more damage because there would be no give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbruce09 View Post
I concur with you Great Goose. I've tagged the ground a few times as well. If not for the wings popping out my yak would've been pretty tore up. I think these releasable wings are a great idea. Just keep a tight rubber band on them and you're good!
maybe I am not using the right rubber bands. The ones I have on it now give way too much play and flex .
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member