Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,279 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on the Yak 55. I will run a 3530 motor and APC 12x6 prop.
For servos I am planning on using
Corona Digital Servo 2.2kg / 12.5g / .11sec
Are these OK, the HK site said 9g but from reading this forum people seem to be stripping the 9g servos?
Great_Goose is offline Find More Posts by Great_Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
these are the ones i have been using in a few of my planes now, never had one let me down Yet!

cheers chuck

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_14sec.html

PS thats a sport prop isn't it? i used these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,279 Posts
I think it is a sport prop, I do not know the difference between SF and sport. I have seen the 12x6 mentioned on this forum and your suggestion is out of stock a the moment, i will get some and give them try as well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the Yak 55. I will run a 3530 motor and APC 12x6 prop.
Are these OK, the HK site said 9g but from reading this forum people seem to be stripping the 9g servos?
I've ruined more than a few HXT900's in this plane. They eventially just start twitching and not centering
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
I use both electric and slow flyer props on this plane and each work fine. They do have different characteristics though. The slow flyers were intended for lower rpm setups like ones with a gear reduction. They're most efficient at lower rpms. Slow flyers use more power than equally sized E (electric) props. Generally speaking they'll give your plane more low end grunt at the expense of top end speed. Sport props are normally used on combustion engines. They're heavier to withstand power pulses from the engine.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
I know others here have added the extra wing spar but I feel it is not needed. What does flex a lot is the tail. I would have liked it better if they would have continued both fuselage spars all the way to the end of the fuselage. If I was going to mod anything else that would be what I would tackle. As far as an online source for armatures do you mean the shafts? If so your local hobby shop is where I would get them. Mike
Mike, trying to find that solid shaft that's used as a wing connector. Both our LHS's have CF displays, but are badly neglected/nearly empty (about what I expected). This leaves me trying to figure out what size to order? I'm measuring it as something close to .225 -.227", which does not convert to anything even in the metric system (something between 5.5 and 6 mm?), or even to fractions of an inch? So the question is, do you remember/can you tell me what size CF rod did you get for yours?

Regarding tail flex/twist? I was looking at the Tech One "Swift" which is a little bigger than this Yak (43" vs. 48"), but very similar in structure. That airframe uses a couple pieces of CF that run from the tail skid area, up to the vert. stab. to support it? Think I'm going to go ahead and do that to mine as well. Nitroplanes doesn't show it in the kit version, but the arf pics shows them clearly?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-004-swift-epp-arf.html

Thanks, -Al
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
918 Posts
Like this:

greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,279 Posts
My Yak55 turned up Yesterday now just waiting on the servos, the Aus warehouse did not have any in stock so I had to order them from the international warehouse. It would seem they are on the slow boat from China.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:57 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,279 Posts
I maidened my Yak 55 3D which lasted about a minute the 5mm CF tube I was
using as the main spar broke and the wings folded. The kit came with 6"
length of rod I replaced with tube to run the full length of the wings in
hindsight I should have used CF rod. It is repairable motor mount ripped out, prop
broken etc. The thing that was really annoying I was flying straight and level about to check out the trim, before I tried any aerobatics
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Hang in there. It's worth the trouble!

I reinforced the inboard ends of the spar so it's not possible for them to split - allowing me to use the supplied wing joiner. So far so good. I've run maybe 30- 40 battery charges through it.

I found a piece of alum tubing with I/D slightly smaller than the square spar, then cut 2 rings about 3/8" of an inch wide from it. When a took a pair of pliers and turned the rings into little squares, they fit snugly over the square spars. Making sure they don't go anywhere with a drop of CA.

Still looking for something to use as Mike (Mr Big Head) did (above) for a longer joiner? The only thing I've been able to find is a pretty sloppy fit at best. -Al
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,371 Posts
Oh that's a shame
Got mine yesterday, only bought it as I thought I'd be able to use some bits I had laying around (SK3 2836 1500kv motor, 40a esc and some 9g/12g servos) fitted the motor and thought I'd best put a watt meter on it
Ruddy Hell it was drawing 62a/570w with a 12x3.8 and still over 50a with a 10x4.5 (well actually a cut down 12x4.5)
I don't want to run it on a 10 inch prop really as I wanted the wash over the ailerons for low speed manouvres/3D practice (I'm brand new to 3D)

Looks like the motor and esc aren't good enough for the job and don't want to spend out for yet more gear so it'll have to be boxed up and put away until I have a spare motor/esc combo that will do the job

Bummer, I was looking forward to flying it and have been practising a lot on the sim
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Mine, with the 3530 in it and an APC 11x5.5 is pulling 31a and running nice and cool. Doing a pretty good job? Darn sure good enough for 3D practice. For the price of that motor you could be in the air?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hungary, Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg, Csenger
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Goose View Post
My buddy has Crona digital and analog servo too. His opinion: the analog was faster.
I'm using this plane with Turnigy 9018 mg-s, and I thing it's a good choice,
feket663 is offline Find More Posts by feket663
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Mine, with the 3530 in it and an APC 11x5.5 is pulling 31a and running nice and cool. Doing a pretty good job? Darn sure good enough for 3D practice. For the price of that motor you could be in the air?
Yeah, rather than completely waste what I've already spent I've ordered a motor and ESC from HK UK

Hopefully they'll do the trick
D3542 1250kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

50-60A esc
Dogdude is offline Find More Posts by Dogdude
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Yeah, rather than completely waste what I've already spent I've ordered a motor and ESC from HK UK

Hopefully they'll do the trick
D3542 1250kv

50-60A esc
No way... 3542 is tooooo heavy and 1250 is tooooo high of KV.

a fully equiped 3542 (mounting, prop adapter) is close to 150g, with 50A ESC, you are looking at 7oz at the very front end of your plane, you will have trouble get it balance at the right CG for 3D flying. Besides, in my experience the biggest prop you can go with 3542-1250 is APC 10x5E, which is around 550W already. This setup is for big, heavy foamie warbirds or go fast plane. But if that's what you intend to do with the Yak, then it will work just fine. I ran a 3542 KV1250 in my 3.5lb balsa plane.

The biggest motor for a bird in this size range, in my opinion, is a 3536 kv1000. 3530 KV1100 is the best all around choice. I think you can cancel your order within 24 hours with HK.. I am not trying to be harsh on you, but your motor choice is totally wrong.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT