what motor are you guys going with?
rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:20 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
486 Posts
I bought a Turnigy SK3 3530-1340kv to try, but the shaft from the motor wants to protrude throught the firewall in the battery bay. Lovely looking motor, but I don't want to cut a hole in the fuse for the shaft.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18159

So I've just ordered one of these 1250kv motors:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18227
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:31 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
Since it's available stateside now, I had to pull the trigger on one of these also. I've got an Infinite 1100kv 80 grammer to power mine.u
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:16 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
486 Posts
Well I maidened mine this weekend with teh SK3 1340kv motor.

Plane flew great - that undercarriage is brilliant - you can just "plop" the plane down where you want it.

Was using a 1300mAh battery and didn't get very long flights. Going to get some 1500s. Used an 11x5.5 prop and I think it was probably too much. I think I either need to go a bit smaller on the prop or wait for the bigger motor - I was probably pulling too much current for the SK3 at WOT.

I bought it to learn aerobatics, so I can't really comment on the 3d performance. It tracked very well, would slow down incredibly, and was very precise on the controls. It was not problem to fly it on high rates with 35% expo.

Great fun. Just need to get the motor/battery life sorted.

Oh, but I did split the firewall on the first flight. Could do with some strengthening.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Nice plane, isn't it.. I will still sometimes run a 10x5E prop on mine. You don't get the airflow over the surfaces, but it's still flyable. For aerobatic (non-3D) flying I don't think you'd even notice the control difference. The motor mount is the weakest link I've found. Though weak is a bit strong of a word since it will take quite a bit of abuse itself. I cut a new motor mount for mine out of some heavier ply.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
Dr.
Nederland, NB, Grave
Joined Jul 2011
52 Posts
Hi khen,
Can you show us some close detailed photo's of your new motormount on the plane.
I love pictures more than text..
HaeMKa is offline Find More Posts by HaeMKa
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaeMKa View Post
Hi khen,
Can you show us some close detailed photo's of your new motormount on the plane.
I love pictures more than text..
I'll try to get some pictures tonight. It's nothing to special. I carefully cut out the old mount and pieced it together, traced it on the new ply and roughly cut it with my router with a 1/16" tile grout removal bit. It would be cool to cut some from aluminum or fiberglass.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:56 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
Mine got here today. I'm really impressed with it. Even comes with long servo arms so now I can finally use those gear sloppy Corona servos I've had for a while now. Fuse is nice and straight. Not gonna take a lot of building on this one. So much is already done. I wish the motor plate was bigger so a 35 series motor would fit better but luckily I've got a 2217 with a new straight shaft that'll hopefully pull it around. Unfortunately it'll be a little while before I get the time to build it. Too busy at work and work at home.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:50 AM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Ill hope i get it in 14 Day i bought it at 09.02. hope King get it out next Days, the Taxman need also 14 Days too Work with it. I think in Christmas its ready. :-)
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:51 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Got mine as well. Very very slight bend in fuselage near tail,box was unharmed though.. probably just changes in temperatures etc and it should fly fine. Have most of what i need to get it flying but have to order a few odds and ends. Will have it flying in a couple weeks probably and get the plane assembled over the weekend minus the rest of the gear. Will be flying it on 3s 1300mah nanotechs to start. Should be a quick assembly,really not very much at all to do to get it flying.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:38 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Added some wheel pants.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Added some wheel pants.
Nice Idea looks good. Whats your Motorsetup? Il get this hope that is strong enough.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15193
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:22 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Im gonna try a couple set ups probably. T-motor 2216 with an 11x3.8 prop to start. The outrunner you linked looks like it will do ok based on the specs listed(similar to a eflite 480 from the specs),havent flown that hk outrunner though so couldnt say for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
I've been interested in this, great reviews in here! What will it cost to outfit this plane including batteries and shipping to the U.S. I plan on using myDx6i.
New World Order is offline Find More Posts by New World Order
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:42 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Added some wheel pants.
Wheel pants look really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order View Post
I've been interested in this, great reviews in here! What will it cost to outfit this plane including batteries and shipping to the U.S. I plan on using myDx6i.
In case you weren't aware, the Yak is now available in the USA HK Warehouse. Cost of getting it setup can vary of course depending on equipment, but you could get it in the air for $120 - $150 pretty easily. Pretty killer deal for this plane. I can recommend some equipment from my site if you would like.
Site Sponsor