HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:46 PM
South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
At last got mine together and maidened it this evening!
SilverBlue 3530 1400kV motor with 10x4.7 prop
Mystery 40A heli ESC
HXT 900's on the wings
MG14's (I think) on the tail
2200mah 3S packs

I'm new to 3D air frames and relatively new to power, normally fly helis and slope. But this plane is insane! The motor is an overkill at 1400kV but had it lying around, ended up limiting the curve to 80%, taking off at 1/3 throttle!
Vertical no problem with next to no roll couple, as for inverted it doesn't know which way is up

I'll fly it a bit more and also try another motor or two. Thinking I might just be fine with a 28 or a 30mm series for now, that way I might get some more flight time too. Got 8min flying then the ESC cut-off started kicking in.
alouette is offline Find More Posts by alouette
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:08 PM
South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
Any recommendations for motors from HK?
alouette is offline Find More Posts by alouette
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:18 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Any more flight reviews on this?
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:32 PM
WoooHooo!!!
USA, CA, Santa Paula
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Any more flight reviews on this?
I hesitate to "review" because I'm new to electric and 3D. So a little background. I'm an old nitro and balsa flyer, stopped flying for about 15 years. Started flying helies about 3 years ago (and still stink at it) A couple of years ago I got back into fixed wing and still trying to figure out what way I want to go with fixed wing. I have a Great Planes Pluma that is my favorite, fragile, light and flies real slow. So I really don't have anything to compare the YAK to. I did fly the YAK this morning in light winds (5 to 10MPH) and it's not a floater you have to keep air over the wings. Mine is heavy about 840g with a 1550 maH battery and it seems to fly better with a 1350 maH Battery, so at this point about all I can say is keep it light (for 3D). I'm going to see if I can loose some more weight, lighter servos and linkage and try a 1050 maH battery.

I'm running an EFlight 480 and today a 11X3.8 prop more than enough to haul it around so I could shed a few grams with a smaller motor. May try the recommended Donkey motor just to see.

I was looking through the forums about flat foam planes and found a very interesting post that has made me rethink my setup and flying style. Most of the people were complaining about how fragile they are, landing gear breaking motors flying off when someone chimed in and pointed out that most of the people complaining had bigger motors and batteries than they were designed for and they are not designed for flying full throttle all the time,,,, well being and old nitro flyer I'm guilty of all the above. So just better throttle management on the Pluma made a big difference in my flying and made it more enjoyable.

Still tweaking the YAK, I like it because it can handle some wind and I think getting the weight down will help with 3D flying (and a 3D pilot). I did a lot of slow flying today to see how far I could push it. I couldn't do a harrier but then I'm learning. It did tend to fall off to one wing or the other but nothing I couldn't easily recover from, again I'm guessing, due to weight.
Slammm is offline Find More Posts by Slammm
Last edited by Slammm; Aug 05, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:17 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I really like the Yak. I agree that it will tip stall so you have to keep some throttle on. It's not as forgiving as a lightly built flat wing plane that way. But the plane is not floppy at all, so you feel really "connected" to it. I went on a streak of building/flying floaty flat wing planes for a while and was looking for a change. I think the Yak is closer to a balsa 3D plane. It's fully 3D capable, but requires more throttle and control inputs. The reward is more dramatic (violent) snaps, spins, blenders, tumbles, etc and the ability to fly in some wind.

I can lock it into inverted or upright harrier quite well and float it around in a tight area. But the transition in/out of harrier is closer to a light switch than a dimmer switch. Ease up the throttle a little to much and it drops a wing.

I fly mine with the 1300mAh/1350mAh packs. I even fly it on some 1000mAh/1050mAh packs, but the flight time is only 4-5 minutes with those.

I agree with Slammm, stay as light as you can with the electronics. However, don't under power it if you want to fly 3D or you'll get yourself into trouble.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:48 AM
WoooHooo!!!
USA, CA, Santa Paula
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Thanks Khen,

I was thinking it's feels like a 60 to 90 sized nitro plane without as much weight. It just has a big, solid and precise feel to it.
Slammm is offline Find More Posts by Slammm
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:43 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Thanks guys. Doesn't sound at all like a starter 3D plane.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
493 Posts
Mine just shipped yesterday - I saw soneone fly something similar in 15-20mph winds at our clulbs fun-fly. Amazing.

I bought it to learn aerobatics on, thinking it would be robust and less expensive to crash than a balsa plane!

I guess a key messgae coming from everyone is "keep it light" and "use and 11" prop."
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:28 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Khen, you gonna carry these planes? Any other sources than HK?
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Khen, you gonna carry these planes? Any other sources than HK?
I've thought about picking some up to sell, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough interest. I'll look at them again and see if the numbers work.

I really like my Yak, it's got well over 100 hard flights on it now. The only new suggestion I would make would be to glue the wings in if you don't need them to be removable. They bow slightly in extreme spins and other high G maneuvers. I've since glued mine in and it's a solid plane.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:36 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
493 Posts
Received mine yesterday - got the servos in and tail surfaces mounted. Tonight I hope to finish it.

It's quite a big plane! I was surprised. And the material feels very durable (my first EPP plane.)

Can't wait to fly it......first I have to balance it.

How have people fixed the undercarriage on? I used hot glue.

Thanks,
Simon
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:18 AM
Dr.
Nederland, NB, Grave
Joined Jul 2011
52 Posts
Had mine 3 weeks ago.
Still had no time to put it together.
I have the parts HK recommended
Only as motor I have the Turnigy L3010B 1300KV Brushless Motor (420w)
Had to order one new servo, for I had forgotten that the power was still on when I moved the servo arm. The servo did not survive that. Was stupid of me.

Found out that the fuselage was bent.
Put two weights one at begin and one at the tail and put a 1inch stick under the plane at te level of the "pilot".
Let it stayed there fore the whole day.
Now the fuselage is quit straight again.

I put a new longer carbon stick in the plane that goes into the wings
Glued also a second longer carbonstick in the elevator. I found that it bent to far with the stick build in. Now its is much stiffer.

For Khen:
I think I am going to glue the wings in to, with what glue did you put the wings in.

Still don't know if I put the wheels under it.
I have no smooth landing field where it can land.
HaeMKa is offline Find More Posts by HaeMKa
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:52 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Hey HaeMKa,

Great advice on straightening the fuse. I also agree it is a good idea to put a longer carbon rod for the wing.

I used Welder Adhesive for gluing the wing halves together and glue it into the fuse. I then held it in place and "stiched it" with hot glue beads every couple of inches around the fuse/wing to hold it in place while the Welder dried. It probably wouldn't hurt the weight much to use hot glue beads all around the fuse/wing.

I really don't have a place to land and usually just catch mine as well. I tried it without the landing gear once and actually preferred it on. It might be just because I was used to it with the gear.

Kevin
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:44 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
I ordered one of these earlier today,been wanting to try one since they came out. Transporting anything under 55'' isnt a problem for me so the wings will get glued in here,this has worked well in the past and does make a noticeable difference in flight performance and overall rigidity of airframes if theres play or shifting with detachable wings on larger foamies. Some have to remove wings for transport even on planes this size so its cool the option is there. Will probably be a couple weeks until i'll have mine rtf but looking forward to it.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:57 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
493 Posts
I'm just about to complete the build on mine.

Already had to replace one of the recommended servos (HK SCM16-5) because it couldn't handle the rudder pull - it stripped the gears on the ground!

For now I have replaced it with an HXT900 and it seems fine, but I have some 939MG on order....we'll see if I need to replace the HXT900.

I would steer clear of the SCM16-5 servos.