HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Second flight - sf prop and what is that smell?!

I went out today with the YAK with my buddies for 3 batteries of practice flight on low rates. Thanks again BigRoger for the setting advice. That was a huge help with desensitizing the control surfaces today!

New prop on 3530-11: GWS 10x4sf
This new prop that I picked up seems to add quite a bit more oomph for my motor. It puts out 245watts now at 22amps, so I'm a little hotter than before. The flight times showed that as well. I might try the 11x4sf prop soon to see if that works even better. Is the amp rating the only one I need to watch on my motor?

What's that smell?
Pardon my tangent here, but I finally pinpointed the nasty odor I've been smelling while working on this plane...and it IS the plane! Or at least the paint or foam. I don't know if any of you have noticed, but this thing smells like a public restroom up close...seriously. Not a real deal killer for me, but we have nicknamed my plane the YAKass for a reason :-) Sorry for the language. I find humor is just about anything.
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Bruce,
the EPP planes generally have a bit of an 'ass' odour when new but it disappears after a while.

Still might be underpowered with your set up I think.
I get 370watt for 36 amps with apc11x4.7sf and Omega72g motor. Still not completely unlimited vertical but close.
This plane is a bit heavier than its Telink cousins of the same size due to the type of epp foam and that the fuse it molded as opposed to cut from flat epp sheet.

You should be able to push that prop size up to 11x4.7 for that motor but be sure to check the specs and try and run it close to the max spot amp rating of the motor spec from the supplier when you are at full throttle.

A 3D flyer should rarely be at full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time hence the reason why you can prop it up as much as possible to improve the airflow over the control surfaces when stalled as the only airflow at this time comes from the prop.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:55 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Well, I tried the 11x4sf prop today and it just didn't do much more than gobble more amps, so I went back to the gws 1060 that they suggest over at HeadsUpRC. They do know their products! I couldn't agree more that my power setup won't do 3D well, if at all. I'm not able to launch out of anything close to hover with this setup. Oh well, I'm having a blast practicing knife edges and basic rudder controls! Cheers, Pedar
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post

I'm running mine now with the 3dhs Omega72g motor using apc 11x4.7sf prop and its simply amazing.

Good luck.
I sounds like you now like the Omega motor, before you said it felt strange?

Got my kit over the holidays and will follow your recommendations about motor mount and added bracing, looking forwards to this one
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:54 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
My initial impression with the Omega was that it made the plane more nose heavy than the light 2216-1100kV motor I had and I didn't like the extra power it made.

I've since got used to the power and nose weight which helps the cg a lot more, I was originally heaps tail heavy but that made it easy to hover and harrier but had little power left for aerobatics. With the Omega, it eats more amps for sure but also packs a heap more punch.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by songtoday View Post
My Yak 55M EPP CF Version Thailand

AXI 2814/16 GOLD LINE
Speed Jeti 40A
Servo Hitec 4xHS82MG
Propeller 11x4.7 sf
3s Li-Poly

Thank You
www.trchobby.com (THAILAND)
TONY
what tail wheel bracket did you use
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Janole, just insert and glue a thick piece of large width zip tie into the skid to protect the foam. That's what most people do for this type of plane. Either that or a piece of carbon.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
that was my plan, I'll probably just hand launch this and harrier land anyways, but the wheel looks well done and knowing the source might come in handy in the future
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:22 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
I have my servos installed and the elevator installed, any tips to attach the rudder and get it 100% square, is everybody using welders glue?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Installing the rudder kinda freaked me out, Janole. I layered on some thick CA, sprayed the accelerator and stuck it on, eyeballing the alignment. Flys very straight!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Janole, I used UHU Por (welders not available over here) and used the eyeball for straightness. Its as good as any I think and flys very true.

I did stick carbon in the rudder for stiffness also.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
I have my servos installed and the elevator installed, any tips to attach the rudder and get it 100% square, is everybody using welders glue?
I used a couple, few shortened toothpicks as dowels to keep it where I wanted it. I used Loctite Stick and Seal which I hear is similar to Welders. Great stuff.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Thanks for the advise, I used the welders and it looks good and straight.

Did you add a carbon spar the length of the rudder? vertically?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:08 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Not vertical but angled outwards from the root near the horn outwards to the top rearward tip of the rudder. Just to take some of the flex out.

You probably don't need it and in hind site might be better to have flex to save your rudder servo when doing tail touching.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:00 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,963 Posts
Got a couple flights in with mine today. Was nice to fly something a little bigger than the 4-8oz foamies. Next time i make it out to an open flying area like today its coming with for sure to get more flights on it,its been sitting for a couple months now and ive been flying the small stuff mostly in the yard with the current weather out here. Ran the packs to lvc on both flights.. didnt want to stop flying it .

HobbyKing Yak 55 3D EPP (4 min 34 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying