HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
-----------------------
Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Nov 2004
56 Posts
Thanks for your answers BigRoger and HaeMKa .

The Turnigy 3s1600mA 20C lipo is on backorder so I have just ordered :
3x #R1750-25-3/7453 Rhino 1750mAh 3S1P 25C Lipoly Pack = $40.71

Eric
xiamardle is offline Find More Posts by xiamardle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Haven't read much good about these servos. Hard to beat the standard HXT-9 for a solid plastic geared servo. For metal, I like the MG-14s. The Coronas I've got have a good bit of gear slop. Haven't heard many others complain about them though.
You said it, in second flight the Servogear is broken, and the Yak is came likes an Angel not so sweet but realy fast. Motormount broken new Sevos obligation.
The next Flight only with Metallgear must have.
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Yak Attack

Love this plane, just found the thread for this. I have had mine about 5 months and enjoy it very much. i read a post about the landing gear. I put a small wedge of soft balsa in to hold the gear in. it absorbs most of the trauma to the gear (instead of the gear mount) and you can just replace it if it gets to worn out. of course the landing gear wobble a slight bit but it does not affect flight at all. happy flying!!!
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Jeebs and others.

Re the landing gear.

Put a few drops of PU glue into the landing gear slot then push the wire in and a couple more drops.

Leave upside down over night and as the PU glue expands it will fill the void and the gear will be rock solid.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,963 Posts
I used welder glue to secure the landing gear into the mount and ran it over all the other critical areas on the plane like the motor mount etc.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I tried out a tiger 2216-1250kV motor today with apc 11x4.7SF prop to see if it would have more punch than the W2834-1100kV motor I had in it.

Well, it ran it up with the watt meter. Pulled 432Watts at WOT and about 35A. Wow.

Took it out to the field for a spin.

Lots of punch but I think the extra watts might actually be a lot in heat rather than performance.

Motor was so hot after the second battery that I burnt my fingers trying to change out a broken prop and had to let it cool down for five minutes before I gave it another try.

I think I'll drop back to 11x3.8sf or even a 10x4.7sf worst case.

Flights times dropped from 6.5min with ease to less than 5 minutes and the lipo was dead flat.

Nice grunty motor though.

Khen, how hot does your suppo 1250kv motor get with the 11x5.5 or 11x4.7sf you are using with this plane?
Last edited by bigroger; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:21 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,963 Posts
I think youll have good performance with a lot less heat on the 11x3.8 prop... the 11x4.7 is a bit much im sure. I like the 11x3.8 best overall in the plane with the 2216,plenty of punch out and good top speed. Hopefully the 2216 didnt fry the magnets on the 11x4.7 flight but if it got that hot to the touch you may have done some damage.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:40 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks GR.

Still seems OK, after it cooled down I put another 2 packs through it. Giving it 5 minutes rest between packs.

i'll drop back to 11x3.8 next time see if my flight times get better and heat lower.

The 1100kv I was using on 11x4.7 didn't get any where near as hot. I guess its the kV game being played, higher kV = more punch but also more amps/heat.

What do the guys flighing the Telink version 1250kV normally prop at?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
I fly the 70g Suppo 1250KV with an 11x5.5E prop. It's the same motor that a lot of guys fly with the Telink. I've also ran that prop on the Tiger 2216. I don't fly WOT for more than short bursts. The motor comes down warm on the Suppo, but not hot. The Tiger gets a bit warmer, but again not hot. I also fly in thin air at 5k feet altitude, but it pushes the motors over 30 amps.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:36 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Kevin,
Gonna order my servos this weekend, do I need extensions for the tail units? Just so I can get it all in one order. Also, did you get any of the 939's in? If not, I'll go w/ the 929. (Or is it the other way around?)
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:46 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
EZ, you will need 30cm extensions for the tail servos for this bird.
Khen, thanks for the feedback. It was a hot day when I tested the Tiger motor, over 30deg C and lots of hovering and harrier flight so that may have contributed.

Do get over 400W at the battery on wot with this motor.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:29 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Kevin,
Gonna order my servos this weekend, do I need extensions for the tail units? Just so I can get it all in one order. Also, did you get any of the 939's in? If not, I'll go w/ the 929. (Or is it the other way around?)
Hey EZ, I am still down to 1 on the 939. I do have a lot of the Digitial 929 MG in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
EZ, you will need 30cm extensions for the tail servos for this bird.
Khen, thanks for the feedback. It was a hot day when I tested the Tiger motor, over 30deg C and lots of hovering and harrier flight so that may have contributed.

Do get over 400W at the battery on wot with this motor.
NP, Like you say, I imagine the outside temps and a lot of hovering made the difference. I bet the 11x4.7 slowfly prop draws a little more current than the 11x5.5E prop as well. I assume you are at lower altitude as well. On the SU-31 I'm going to try the Suppo 2217 1100KV motor.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:00 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Yes, I'm at sea level inland Aus.

Does that make a difference?

I've ordered some 11x5.5 e props to try out plus I have an Omega 72g motor on order to test.

Khen, is the SU you refer to the Telink one or the Techone one?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:51 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Yes, I'm at sea level inland Aus.

Does that make a difference?

I've ordered some 11x5.5 e props to try out plus I have an Omega 72g motor on order to test.

Khen, is the SU you refer to the Telink one or the Techone one?
Yup, the thinner air at higher altitudes requires a bit more prop to get the same power. I ordered some Techone SUs for the site and set one aside for myself . It's critical that I demo all the planes I sell Or so I tell the wife.. but she doesn't buy it, hehe.. I've thought about bringing in a Telink for comparison, though the SUs look/spec different.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,388 Posts
Will be interested in hearing a report on the SU and how it compares to the yak.
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow