HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
Discussion
HK Yak 55 EPP 1096mm

Anyone got one of these yet? I ordered one last night, so will put up some pics and info when I get it.
alouette is offline Find More Posts by alouette
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I have one on the way.

I'm thinking of carrying these on my site (the TechOne brand) but wanted to give one a try first.. I ordered it last week EMS but they are just barely getting it shipped.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined May 2006
161 Posts
I had the the smallar version (techone ) it came out extremely tail heavy, by the time I got the CG in the ballpark the plane was overwieght and flew like a brick! But on the good side some had no problems with there kit. seem's there might be an inconstancy in the foams wieght and density. Let us know how it comes out for you.
2006rfarmer is offline Find More Posts by 2006rfarmer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006rfarmer View Post
I had the the smallar version (techone ) it came out extremely tail heavy, by the time I got the CG in the ballpark the plane was overwieght and flew like a brick! But on the good side some had no problems with there kit. seem's there might be an inconstancy in the foams wieght and density. Let us know how it comes out for you.
I've read others that have had the same problem with the smaller version. Did you mount the servos at the tail as per the design or move them closer to the COG and use push rods?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I've read others that have had the same problem with the smaller version. Did you mount the servos at the tail as per the design or move them closer to the COG and use push rods?
I have the same tail heavy issue. I think I am going to mount the servos as far forward without getting in the way of the alierons. Maybe also use some standoffs to keep things from flexing.(Graphite)
maxbee is offline Find More Posts by maxbee
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined May 2006
161 Posts
I ended up moving the servo's forward up close to the CG ,it was still tail heavy! I even hollwed out the fuse. from the main wing to the tail feathers trying to releave the tail heavy condition and get the plane UAW down. It's still 70-80g over max,still fly's like a brick and this is not my first barbecue. I've had other techone planes that were all good but no luck with that one.
2006rfarmer is offline Find More Posts by 2006rfarmer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:51 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006rfarmer View Post
I ended up moving the servo's forward up close to the CG ,it was still tail heavy! I even hollwed out the fuse. from the main wing to the tail feathers trying to releave the tail heavy condition and get the plane UAW down. It's still 70-80g over max,still fly's like a brick and this is not my first barbecue. I've had other techone planes that were all good but no luck with that one.
Wow, sounds like you tried it all, sorry you couldn't get it dialed in. After reading similiar feedback I decided to pass on the smaller Yak. I hope they have this worked out on the larger one and some of the other designs they have in the works.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:44 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I got my 1096mm Yak in today and slammed it together. Pretty quick building plane. I put in a Turnigy 2217 motor and it was under power. I got in a few flights before elevator servo gear striped when I did an abrupt snap roll. I'm using the recommended 10g digital plastic gear servo's and I'm afraid they are to weak for this size/weight of plane. I'm going to put in some heftier metal gear servo's and a more powerful Suppo motor and give it a go within the next couple of days.

Overall I like how it flies, nice harriers, harrier rolls and spins I didn't get to do to much knife edge. The CG balanced out fine with my 1300mah 3S Blue Lipo as well as my lighter weight 1300mah 3S Electric Power packs.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:57 AM
South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
Mine has been shipped. Planning on trying it out first with a C3530 1400Kv, got 2 mini MG servos and a handful of those digitals. Think I might put MG's on the tail and those digitals on the wings.
Also an 1800mah 3S, might later modify for 2200mah.
alouette is offline Find More Posts by alouette
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:44 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,372 Posts
Use the hxt900's. Their gears are as good as hs65hb gears. I have had them on 49" wood planes that got thrashed about on 400Watts for years without problems. A MG servo on rudder is a good idea though.
Eagleburger is online now Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
WoooHooo!!!
USA, CA, Santa Paula
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Got one on the way, ordered 6/14, "held by customs at destination" 6/29
Also ordered the Donkey ST3007-1100kv Brushless Motor but I have an EFlight 480 that I think I'll try instead. Also ordered the "recommended" orange servos (but it sounds like they won't last) and three Turnigy nano-tech 1800mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Packs

Thanks for the tips about it being tail heavy and servos.

Can't wait, I must hit the site 20 times a day for the status.

Departed from Destination Transit Center
Slammm is offline Find More Posts by Slammm
Last edited by Slammm; Jun 29, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I put some 939 metal gear servos in the tail. I had a chance to get one pack in this morning in 30-40 mph winds . It actually handles wind relatively well. Wish it would calm down though, I want to get some video footage.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:17 PM
WoooHooo!!!
USA, CA, Santa Paula
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Got it!

Received my Yak today and so far it looks great. About all there is to do is glue the tail feathers on and install the electronics.

One issue is the fuse is cupped. This is my second EPP foamy and the first (MS Composit Pitts) had the same problem. Wondering if this is an inherent problem with EPP foamies or is it just a fluke. Anyone know a good method to straighten it out? In the picture I have a straight edge touching nose and tail, there is at least 1/8" gap in the center. Don't want it fly like a dog chasing it's tail.

Thanks
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:48 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammm View Post
Received my Yak today and so far it looks great. About all there is to do is glue the tail feathers on and install the electronics.

One issue is the fuse is cupped. This is my second EPP foamy and the first (MS Composit Pitts) had the same problem. Wondering if this is an inherent problem with EPP foamies or is it just a fluke. Anyone know a good method to straighten it out? In the picture I have a straight edge touching nose and tail, there is at least 1/8" gap in the center. Don't want it fly like a dog chasing it's tail.

Thanks
Normally with EPP you can just sit it on it's side on a flat surface and put a little weight on it and let it sit for a night. With the carbon fiber already glued in though I'm not sure if that would work.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:59 PM
WoooHooo!!!
USA, CA, Santa Paula
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
Normally with EPP you can just sit it on it's side on a flat surface and put a little weight on it and let it sit for a night. With the carbon fiber already glued in though I'm not sure if that would work.
The wing box won't let it lay flat so I'll do the best I can with straight edges and clamps. Don't want to run it down because so far I'm really happy with it, just want it to fly straight.

Thanks