HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Still more...

I hope you don't mind more video. This one has good music if you find the flight boring. Still working on my 3D between killing Superfly's with my Assassin. (killed one more today ) I have that video to work on but will need to wait until the weekend for a HD upload slot. I also have an answer to the question of foamy combat. Not intended but we did tangle today and not once but twice within moments. Both planes went down due to prop savers but not much damage. I got that on video but need to edit that one up as well. Coming soon (to a theater near you )
Sunny Day (2 min 56 sec)
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:28 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
WC, dang!!! You make me wanna 3D again. Dang ya. You should just get and fly a copter. ahahahahahaha
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:42 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Tried copters... Just not for me. I have a mSR that just sits. I fly it okay but chasing that tail around is a pain. Planes do that automatically.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:48 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
Hahaha, I was just teasin ya bro. Your flyin skillz are awesome.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Gonna be outa the loop around here for a week or so.
My landlord defaulted on his mortgage, so my lease is worthless. Bank foreclosed & auctioned my house... a construction flipper company bought it. They're rude too.
So, now I'm on-the-move and NOT happy about it. Got a decent house lined-up at least.... it's less than 1/4 mile away.

Mac
Yeah, moving sucks. At least AB4 will be out soon
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Great flyin Steve! I'll hope to try some of that 3D stuff soon. Looks like your gettin pretty good at the hover.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
Hey guys, I need some advise. Do any of y'all have any experience with gas powered planes? I am negotiating a deal for a gas motor, tank, and prop. I am ignorant, having never done this. Kinda excited about the thought. Any help/advise from any of y'all?
Lee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:30 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Hey guys, I need some advise. Do any of y'all have any experience with gas powered planes? I am negotiating a deal for a gas motor, tank, and prop. I am ignorant, having never done this. Kinda excited about the thought. Any help/advise from any of y'all?
Lee
I have experience with a Cox .049 on a line control plane from forty years ago . beyond that... No. I think if I was to go nitro at this stage of the game I would get a four stroke that burns regular gas. They make small ones now but I'm pretty sure they are pricey. The two stroke ones are good I'm sure but nitro fuel is getting extremely expensive, google that before you get too hot on the idea. A four stroke might just pay for itself in the price of fuel in a short amount of time. Also keep in mind that the nitro fuel has a short shelf life from what I am told. What was once a pretty cheap power plant has now been replaced by electrics for sure up to a size limit. I think that size is someplace around 50 inch WS and four or so pounds AUW but don't quote me on that. Remember the other stuff you get with two stroke... Oil all over the plane and vibrations that rattle everything loose. Don't mean to kill your plan but there are real side effects that while they can be dealt with, they can be a pain. You are moving to the dark side... Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it.. Seriously, I'm sure there are good things too. . I bet the power is much better for one thing. And no battery puffing and smoked ESC's too.

On a side note... Stopped by the park at lunch hour today and my buddies both handed me planes to fly. . Both Slicko's but I enjoyed it very much. I have reached the point that I can fly what is trusted to me and that feels real good. I know I won't kill anyone's plane now and if I did, I would fix or replace it. Mostly, I'm just tickled pink that I have reached this level. It was a nice day
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Lee, are you talking abt. gas or nitro? I know nitro engines really well. Never had a gas RC engine.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:14 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
Well, guys, thanks. Now that I am out of the anestiasia, I guess I will pass. I know electrics pretty good by now. And I am not so sure I wanna backtrack. I was thinking that gas powered is only limited to fuel. Where a brushed moter needs to rest. And a brushless motor can seemingly go on and on. But, honestlly, I don't think I could afford the fuel. For one. And a whole nother learning curve at my edge might just be pushing it. ahahahahaha. Thanks my friends. This is what makes our thread, and this forum, so wonderfull. You guys are great. My best wishes to you all.
Lee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Your probably doing the right thing Lee, I think the nitro stuff is still cool as long as your into engines and the tinkering that goes with it. The newer 4 stroke stuff is certainly the direction for future RC in fuel and once again, if your into engines. Electric has come so far now that unless your flying really big stuff, it still makes the most sense. Batteries are cheap and if flight ime is a problem, buy a few more batteries. I always have at least three batteries for each different plane I fly and if I take at least two planes to fly, I have enough time to fly and charge even at 1c charge rate. You can always get crazy with fast charge LiPo's too and that will keep you in the air even longer. We are getting real close to a time that general aviation will be getting into electric flight for light 2 place aircraft. wouldn't that be incredible? Many years ago, a good friend of mine said the oil would be best burned by the electric companies (cleaner and more efficently) and we should all be charging our cars etc. I think he was right. The oil companies still want us burning oil well past the technology that is here to replace it. Politics and oil money still dictate what we do for the time being.... We live in a strange time.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,966 Posts
Lee, a couple of cool types of planes to tickle your fancy are the electric Assassin wing or the Techone SU-31. Both are low cost, use lower cost batteries, and with your skills you will be slowly cruising around or zipping around your back 40. You'll have fun for a long time brother.
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
Wow, Blue, really? I have a big wing that I personally don't care for. Dang bro. A wing is not my thing. Just me? Maybe. Just now? Maybe. I may like them one day, just not Today.
Lee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,943 Posts
Man, I am sorry blue. I have been feeling really depressed lately. Lot on my table, so to speak. Forgive me. I will step aside and just read this thread for awile. I love you all. Just not quite in my right mind. haha. Ohh well. Never really was huh? hahahaha
Lee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I have experience with a Cox .049 on a line control plane from forty years ago . beyond that... No. I think if I was to go nitro at this stage of the game I would get a four stroke that burns regular gas. They make small ones now but I'm pretty sure they are pricey. The two stroke ones are good I'm sure but nitro fuel is getting extremely expensive, google that before you get too hot on the idea. A four stroke might just pay for itself in the price of fuel in a short amount of time. Also keep in mind that the nitro fuel has a short shelf life from what I am told. What was once a pretty cheap power plant has now been replaced by electrics for sure up to a size limit. I think that size is someplace around 50 inch WS and four or so pounds AUW but don't quote me on that. Remember the other stuff you get with two stroke... Oil all over the plane and vibrations that rattle everything loose. Don't mean to kill your plan but there are real side effects that while they can be dealt with, they can be a pain. You are moving to the dark side... Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it.. Seriously, I'm sure there are good things too. . I bet the power is much better for one thing. And no battery puffing and smoked ESC's too.

On a side note... Stopped by the park at lunch hour today and my buddies both handed me planes to fly. . Both Slicko's but I enjoyed it very much. I have reached the point that I can fly what is trusted to me and that feels real good. I know I won't kill anyone's plane now and if I did, I would fix or replace it. Mostly, I'm just tickled pink that I have reached this level. It was a nice day
I hear ya on that whirlcap. I remember the day that Blu handed me the controller to fly his assassin wing. I was honored that he would trust me to fly something so fast and nibble like that. I was hooked immediately. It was shortly after that ,that I built my Assassin. Now it is my favorite plane to fly bar none.

:-)
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr