HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:15 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
WOW, NICE! This is your first time flying 3D? Was there any wind? It looked so graceful. Now that's something I might like to do. The Assassins are a bit too much for these old eyes and reflexes.

Mike.
Several years ago I watched a 3D foamy video online and that was my restart back into this hobby. I have tried for decades off and on to learn but never did fly more than a couple times before destroying what I had to fly. Then a long time lapse before the next try. I bought a FlySky radio and a Techone foamy and proceeded to set it up with too much motor, too much battery and flew it somewhat sucessfully at mach speeds with maybe a roll or two before crashing...repeatedly. When it no longer flew straight after repairs I got into micro helis thinking small in-close was the cure Then I found the Champ! Bingo! problem solved. I had something I could fly long enough and often enough to learn RC. When I stopped thinking about inputs, I moved up to an aileron trainer (Multiplex MiniMag). In between all that I had a second foamy that was correctly motor and battery matched but I never could fly it very well even after I knew ailerons. So in answer to the question, I have some attempted 3D in my past but very little of it with sucess or much pleasure. Recently one of my park flyer buddies insisted I fly his Slicko... I didn't want to and was figuring I'd carefully cruise around and land it but once I had it up... I was hovering! doing snap rolls and knife edge. The plane did what I wanted it to do unlike my P-51 foamy that fought every move I made. Just like what we are talking about during the video, the Slicko is one well manored 3D plane. I can't fly anything close to what my friend Bill can do but I can fly 3D There was a light breeze that day too, maybe 4-5mph. I have about 7 flights on her and even some ROG take offs. I am completely bitten by the 3D bug now... along with wing combat. Kind of funny, at the park we are screaming accross the sky one minute and the next we are all quietly tumbling around with 3D foamies. One extreme to the other. Already thinking about getting into 4 oz depron planes now. My OCD keeps me busy
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:14 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Weird occurrence: I flew my Super Cub twice with 2 tired 2200mah 3s Turnigys today. The wind was pretty stiff - a steady 8mph or so. The Cub labored and fought its way upwind.

Then, when I flew my Delta wing, the battery came out of the holder after about 50 seconds and sat on the wing! I was able to gently bring it down, but snapped off the prop in the grass.

So, rather than tossing that battery into the recharge pile, I decided to pop it into the Cub.
This Lipo was a 3s Zippy 1500mah 25c and the Cub was screamin' fast!
W T H?
Do you think it's the lighter weight and increase in 10c discharge rate? I was amazed when the Cub ROG'd and then went straight up after just 4-5 feet!
BTW, it was the yellow-colored "compact Zippy" so it's very lightweight. (I got it for my Delta wing jets.)

Anyway, I had a blast flying the Cub! I could cruise it at 40-50% and it would fly scale, then turn with the wind, peg the stick @ WOT and man would it rocket by me!

The F-22 Raptor foamie is set to fly its maiden!
The bad news is that I cooked my 808 KC cam's lipo. Late one night, I plugged it into my USB outlet and then fell asleep. I awoke the next morning and the 8o8 was HOT. Really hot! And it wouldn't light-up... she no workee no more.
Anyway, I'll get a new KC cam ASAP.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:32 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Ya Mac, batteries can make all the difference in the world! Even with the same specs, some are better than others.

Got the old MiniMag up today with the 400 BL motor, she is a new plane. Still a slug to me after flying all the wings and foamy's but she has the power to get er done now Won't quite hover but almost.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:01 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
329 Posts
To My Northeastern Friends

Ahoy! Just a note to let ya all know I'm thinking of you people. God bless you all while you try and dig out of that mess! Being 60 years old and living in Michigan, I've been through a few of them myself. They are no fun, and you don't think spring will ever come. Keep your heads up, and take it easy on the shovel... Capt'n
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:07 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Weird occurrence: I flew my Super Cub twice with 2 tired 2200mah 3s Turnigys today. The wind was pretty stiff - a steady 8mph or so. The Cub labored and fought its way upwind.

Then, when I flew my Delta wing, the battery came out of the holder after about 50 seconds and sat on the wing! I was able to gently bring it down, but snapped off the prop in the grass.

So, rather than tossing that battery into the recharge pile, I decided to pop it into the Cub.
This Lipo was a 3s Zippy 1500mah 25c and the Cub was screamin' fast!
W T H?
Do you think it's the lighter weight and increase in 10c discharge rate? I was amazed when the Cub ROG'd and then went straight up after just 4-5 feet!
BTW, it was the yellow-colored "compact Zippy" so it's very lightweight. (I got it for my Delta wing jets.)

Anyway, I had a blast flying the Cub! I could cruise it at 40-50% and it would fly scale, then turn with the wind, peg the stick @ WOT and man would it rocket by me!

The F-22 Raptor foamie is set to fly its maiden!
The bad news is that I cooked my 808 KC cam's lipo. Late one night, I plugged it into my USB outlet and then fell asleep. I awoke the next morning and the 8o8 was HOT. Really hot! And it wouldn't light-up... she no workee no more.
Anyway, I'll get a new KC cam ASAP.

Mac
If you are flying a stock setup, that is crazy impressive The stock S/C does lack a little "oomph". The good ol' facin' the wind, firin' up and watching it whizz past you backwards gets old An APC prop also helps. I may have to get a few of these.

Sucks frying an 808. I have so far ruined 1 808, and 2 pairs of spycam glasses (808 with cheap sunnies attched). My #16 still works fine, despite overcharging, and cold weather conditions.
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Nemo is gone,time for some fun.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: vid
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Ridge,
Awesome trip home to the north! Thanks!
Loved the Motorcycle song, btw... gonna download it for the iPod!

Mac
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:34 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,821 Posts
ridge, cool vids. That second vid was a bit eerie with the music in the background. It kinda reminded me of the movie "The Shining"

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Ridge, that was cool, like the opening sequence of a scary sci-fi space invasion movie.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Glad you guys enjoyed the video.

I re-edited the first one (Winter Island) so the image wasn't so bright,this way the snow covered lake texture shows up a bit better,check it again out if you want...not trying to get a bunch of views,just want the image to look as good as it can.

For that flight the big wing had the Mustang stock motor,that motor has been in so many planes,haha!
The motor draws less amps and gave a nice 20 min flight.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
62 Posts
Hey yall haven't been here for a while. My mom is moving to a new house- which means away from my current house which is right across the street from a school. anyways, after my bday and holidays ive gotten enough money to spend. Ive flown all the other stuff and i want a cruiser. Im thinking of either getting the parkzone um t28 or the champ (which i had previosly) because i just want a small no hassle cruiser. i had the champ, and it floated so well before i rammed it to the ground learning to fly. it floats, it cruises, and lands, but how well can the um troj glide? float? touch and go? land? is it able to fly slow enough in a yard?

unrelated- hobbyking at6 texan? thoughts? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Yellow_.html

also does the t28 have the ability to use floats on a pond?
maxs0201 is offline Find More Posts by maxs0201
Last edited by maxs0201; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Nemo is gone,time for some fun.

http://vimeo.com/59363570

Lower in this one and made some adj to the brightness/contrast while editing to make the snow covered lake and ice fishing paths easier to see.
The snow was really bright which made judging alt difficult when down low.
Had to go around a second time to make a landing in the knee deep powder snow.
Landed,the wing disappeared out of sight under the snow.

https://vimeo.com/59385613
Nice videos
What kind of camera is that shot with ?
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxs0201 View Post
had the champ, and it floated so well before i rammed it to the ground learning to fly. it floats, it cruises, and lands, but how well can the um troj glide? float? touch and go? land? is it able to fly slow enough in a yard?
also does the t28 have the ability to use floats on a pond?
The T-28 is an awesome flyer, floater and cruiser. Still one of my favorites even though I've moved to foamie jets and bigger warbirds.

You won't ever regret getting the UM T-28 and yes, I've seem them with floats, but you'll want a 5043 prop to get it airborn.

Here's some FUN FUN STUFF!
http://www.6mmflyrc.com/

Mac
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
What kind of camera is that shot with ?
It's a # 16 keychain camera,this thread has all the info about it,where to buy,how it works ect...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994....couple of us have that camera and can help out with questions.
The lens on my camera is the wide angle lens they call "lens D",i prefer using that lens for aerial videography.
The lenses can be changed/replaced easily so if you don't like a particular lens you have the choice to buy another one for about $12.
There is a GUI for the camera,it makes changing any camera settings easy and quick,just plug in the cam to usb,run GUI program,make any changes to cam settings,click ok and that's it,simple.
Use a class 4 memory card,no need for anything faster,the camera with it's internal battery will record about 45 min and fill the card up to about 4g so no real need if running off the internal battery for a larger capacity card.
The camera can also be powered through the usb at 5v,mine is powered from the voltage regulator (i don't use the esc's bec) which also powers the planes rx.
It's a pretty good little camera for the price.
There is a seller in that link novotm ,he's in Mass. and shipping is faster than if ordering from china....and right now china is just about finished with their new years holiday so shipping from china will be slow till everything gets back to normal....order from one of the US sellers for quickest delivery time.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:31 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
More 3d stuff. This was today.
Foam Dance (3 min 36 sec)