HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:45 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Hey,looks like your off to a good start,i'm not interested in flying 3D but it sure is neat to watch.
Flying a wing is the best way imo to build up skill and confidence no doubt about it,and usually a flying wing will survive crashes far better than a conventional plane.
By spring you'll probably really be in the groove and thinking about a larger airframe for 3D flying later in the summer.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:21 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
WC, that Slicko is pretty cool man! Our profile 3D foamies weigh twice or more then yours so I can see how you're able to float them down to the ground like that.
The less the better is right, unless you get some wind. Sweet flying
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:52 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
The other guys have some larger, heavier foamies too but the light ones like my Slicko get flown more. The guy in most of my 3D videos flys those milled Depron planes that look like skeleton's. I guess you could say that Bill really does have skeleton's in his closet . Those really light ones are so cool to watch, they defy gravity. I'm amazed how much better this plane flys than the first foamy I had. I could fly the other one but it was not easy at all. The Slicko just seems to hold whatever altitude you put her in and the flips are amazing. I can loop her almost within her length. 3D is also a good way to fly in the winter if you have an indoor venue to fly at. I wish our local gym had a higher ceiling, I'd fly in there now if it did.... Might try it anyway.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:14 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
WOW, yeah ridge, been busy getting stuff together. Seen many of those clips the other night on a special. Not gonna catch me with my pants down twice so went out and stocked up....food, chips, adult drinks,,..check, check. All set. I think.

20 inches.....shEEEEEEEEt. That ain't nuttin'

I'll try and catch up on the read Guys.

W-A-I-T-I-N-G
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:32 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
I've been building my balsa 3d biplane and they say 6 hours to build. Hell I'm 1/2 way through and I'm easily into 10+ hours! This is why I love foam ARF's.
Sure looks cool though

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:00 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
I still have some balsa planes I want to build. Only have the MudBug currently flying but have a slope glider I need to put gear in and I also have another Steven's Aero model I want to build. Wood is fun and you feel like you really made something when it's done. A kit foamy just feels like it ready to fly . it isn't the balsa build that I find hard, it's the covering part. I have not done enough of it to be very good at it.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
This time of year 40 is good and like today, it was 52 Was a great day to maiden the Slicko! What a blast, I can fly 3D... had no idea. The right plane really makes a difference. I also cut the winglets off my Assassin and flew it today, didn't feel much difference but I like the look better. Here is the maiden and second flights of the Slicko 3D
http://vimeo.com/59113633
Then I let my friend Bill fly her for the third flight.
http://vimeo.com/59115220

Nice flying there whirlcap. I heard ya say in one part of the video that you could not believe that you could do that. It's a combination of skill and having a plane that will do what you tell it to do. It takes both. I know what you mean though. The more I fly my 3D plane ( a Techone SU31) the more I am amazed with what it will do. great maiden flight . Keep up the good work there

BTW loved that floating landing on the first video :-)
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I've been building my balsa 3d biplane and they say 6 hours to build. Hell I'm 1/2 way through and I'm easily into 10+ hours! This is why I love foam ARF's.
Sure looks cool though

Blu
Looking forward to filming the maiden of that new biplane.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:45 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
935 Posts
Blu, need some pics of tbe Bipe! I love the scale balsa planes, except when they land wrong
Good luck Ridge with the storm
Jim
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:12 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I can picture Ridge right now: he's building a periscope out of empty cardboard paper towel & toilet paper rolls and will stick it up through of the snow drifts covering his house to see when the snowplow's comin'.

MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:27 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
I hope Ridge and Chap1012 are getting though it okay? Time to crank up a little REO Speedwagon (Riding the Storm Out) . We get good snow storms here every few years. Nothing that ever seems to shut down more than the schools though. Had a dusting of snow last night and I think we are supposed to get a bit more today but so far none. Cold and breezy, no flying . Might be okay tomorrow morning but a little cold, high 30's forecast.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:59 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
All good here,it's snowing like mad!
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:20 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,060 Posts
Please do Ridge!!! And share. Some of us dream about this stuff. ahahahahahahahahaha
Hope y'all make it.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:23 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
All good here,it's snowing like mad,about 2'' per/hr...the wind is blowing the snow everywhere,roads are empty,snow covered and very slippery.
Get done shoveling the driveway and where i started is needing shoveling again,tough to keep up!
Have to go out there about once every hr,just enough time for the hat,jacket and gloves to dry.
Good thing is, the snow is light fluffy snow.

Probably will go out for a walk when the storm gets really cranked up and try getting some video of the blowing snow!
Boston area out to 495 is suppose to be the jackpot with about 2 feet. Right now we are getting 41 mph winds gusting to 51. There is no way to keep up with the shoveling. Because of the conditions, my girls went out, turned around and came right back in.

Good luck ridge. I think the further away from Boston, the better. But, Mother Nature can get pissy at times, especially in New England.

Yeah, WC,,,...crank it up. Need some blizzard party music

Mike.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
This time of year 40 is good and like today, it was 52 Was a great day to maiden the Slicko! What a blast, I can fly 3D... had no idea. The right plane really makes a difference. I also cut the winglets off my Assassin and flew it today, didn't feel much difference but I like the look better. Here is the maiden and second flights of the Slicko 3D
http://vimeo.com/59113633
Then I let my friend Bill fly her for the third flight.
http://vimeo.com/59115220
WOW, NICE! This is your first time flying 3D? Was there any wind? It looked so graceful. Now that's something I might like to do. The Assassins are a bit too much for these old eyes and reflexes.

Mike.