HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,133 Posts
Ohh man Jim...that hurts bro. She is a beauty. I know you will get her fixed up in know time. But, dang, hurts to look at her. Thanks for the congrats. I was halfway through writing a funny little song about it. ahahahaha. Was hoping to get a laugh out of y'all.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Jim, a rag moistened with lacquer thinner will remove the tar scuffs.

In case any of you have ever wondered where I got my Maladroit avatar character, it's the cartoon version of English wacko Karl Pilkington from the Ricky Gervais Show. (HBO)
Anyway, the real Karl has some crazy beliefs and tales, and so they interview him and then re-tell it in a cartoon -- and it is hilarious!!

Here's a sort taste:
Karl Pilkington and Dolphins with Rifles (1 min 56 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,133 Posts
Hey, wasn't he the guy with the pillow pants? Too funny brother.
Lee
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:13 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
937 Posts
Thanks for the tip Mac, I'll give it a try.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Hey, wasn't he the guy with the pillow pants? Too funny brother.
Lee
They were Karl Pilkington's "Pilko Pump Pants"!!! HA HA HA!
They had huge back and side pockets to you could put all of your groceries in your pants instead of carrying a bag! HA HA!

Karl Pilkington - Pilko's Pump Pants (7 min 7 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:54 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
I took you up on the Idiot Abroad tip a while back Mac, funny stuff . We have the DVR picking them up as they air.

Got more video for you guys. This one is FPV (flown LOS, not FPV) and hat camera.
Mr. Toads Wild Assassin Ride (3 min 32 sec)
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Last edited by whirlcap; Jan 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:09 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,945 Posts
Hey whirlcap....that other vid with the guy flying the white 3 d plane,that guy flew it really good!
Video came out good on the wing,mountains looking nice covered with some snow.
You've been getting in some good flying,nice to see!
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:42 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Hey whirlcap....that other vid with the guy flying the white 3 d plane,that guy flew it really good!
Ridgewalker,

That's my friend Bill and he is very good at 3D He can fly anything but he preferes 3D. He can fly in his livingroom with a 7 foot ceiling He has a popwing that is so fast that no one at the park can catch it. I bet it's pushing 100MPH. I wanted to fly 3D when I first jumped back into planes (I have had many false starts over the last 35 years) but discoverd I was way over my head. Now after taking the long (and smart) road with the Champ and so on, I can fly pretty well. I got to fly one of these Slicko 3D profile foamy and I was amazing myself with what I could do with it. I was hovering, doing knife edge rolls, snap rolls, all kinds of stuff I still can't do with my P-51 3D plane? Funny thing was I didn't even want to fly it because I was afraid I would kill it. Now I'm getting one next week I tried real hard to fly my P-51 today and Bill showed up, he can fly it.... real good too but I still can't do much with it. That Slicko is just sooo gentle and nimble I had no idea a profile foam plane can be so much different. I have video of these flights too, got to get that posted on Vimeo soon. As for the snow, we have had that on the ground here for a month now, was too cold to melt off but we are getting daytime temps in the 40's again. Makes flying at the park possible, I was down there in the upper 20's but I didn't last long before my thumbs and feet got numb
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Hey Ridge!
You were talking about how we used to get the heart-pounding (or even the shakes) when we launched new planes? Like my Cessna or your Gunfighter?

Well, I gotta admit -- when I'm flying my neon green or neon pink Delta wings, I've become less nervous, but anytime I crank to WOT and go vert, I can feel the heart pound and my hands shake!
I wonder WHY I have issues with that?
My green Delta has a 2200kv on it and it will do unlimited vertical. But after about 3 seconds, I begin to freak out - as it reaches 400-500 feet almost right away.
I guess I'll have to keep repeating that until I stop getting nervous about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I took you up on the Idiot Abroad tip a while back Mac, funny stuff . We have the DVR picking them up as they air.
A new season of "An Idiot Abroad" starts tonight!!!
It's hilarious what they put ol' round-headed Karl though! We just sit here and laugh and laugh. (Hmmm.... schadenfreude?)

BTW, Horizon just released the new UM P-40 Warhawk vid.
Ultra Micro P-40 Warhawk BNF with AS3X® Technology by ParkZone (2 min 12 sec)
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:28 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
I was planning on getting the UM Spitfire, having seen a few of those up close, but the dang hobbystore just released their pricing for the UM Warhawk 25% cheaper. I bet they fly very similar. Now how to hold off buying the warhawk

....whooops pre-ordered it
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nighthawk74; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: .....whooops
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,822 Posts
Mac, that was some funny stuff. Unfortunately I don't get HBO. I often wondered about that "toon" character in your avatar.

WC, nice vid. I was waiting patiently for you to buzz the geese...lol Man, beautiful snow covered mountains! I did some training at Nellis AFB during the summer of '73/'74 on the F-111. Seen some nice mountains heading towards Boulder Colorado one day. Would that be your neck of the woods?

Las Vegas (and area) was flat as a pan cake.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,133 Posts
I have a firewood processing station going on outside now. It is a really sweet setup. Nothing too fancy of course. But, I had a roaring fire last night. I got to researching. Have any of y'all ever heard of a "rocket mass heater" system? Thermal mass and such? It is new to me. But, I must admitt, very interesting. I may try to build a model or mockup system just to see if it really does the job. Then if it is all that...Build a cabin in the woods around it. Never know.
Lee
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
693 Posts
Mac, I figured the little guy in your avatar was your creation and was supposed to look like you.

Nice video Whirlcap. The Eagles are my favorite band.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Mac,
I know what you mean about the heart pounding and the shakes too . I used to get them but have not experienced that in a while now. It fades. One thing I have noticed though is moving up to faster planes will force you to "keep up" with the plane and flying anything slow is real easy after that. Oh, I still crash and do unexpected stuff but I don't ever feel that worry of loosing control. Looks like a nice cold but calm day out, going out to the park soon.

Chap,
Those mountains in my video are the Carson Range. Just over them is Lake Tahoe and on the other side of Tahoe is the Sierra Nevada mountains. The Carson Range is pretty much fully attached to the Sierra's and I don't really see why they call it a separate range. Viewed on a map, it looks like one range.
Last edited by whirlcap; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added comments
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,945 Posts
Quote:
One thing I have noticed though is moving up to faster planes will force you to "keep up" with the plane and flying anything slow is real easy after that.
IMO nothing builds up skill and confidence like a flying wing.

You want a good chuckle...fly a fast wing as your regular go to fly plane,then one day fly the Champ instead.
You will be surprised how slow the Champ flies.....should put a big smile on your face.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker