SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's a video Tom took of Jim soaring at Coyote Hills Saturday.
Blu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMPJwKrZmg
I love flying my glider and in fact I am getting a Fling with high start next month. My Radian pro just could not hold up to those conditions. Blu that vid was great I bet hes doing almost 100 mph at points in that vid all for free on the wind . When are you going to start Gliding?
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
My Bud Evan recorded this Reaper flight. This was the flight testing the pushrod move to prevent the servos from stalling.
Jims Grim Reaper (6 min 4 sec)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I love flying my glider and in fact I am getting a Fling with high start next month. My Radian pro just could not hold up to those conditions. Blu that vid was great I bet hes doing almost 100 mph at points in that vid all for free on the wind . When are you going to start Gliding?
Soon
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Blu for you last weeks flights

This was some stunts with the cub and glider. With the Radian Pro those are power off loops and stall flips, then power on inverted flight.
25 May 12 Cub and Glider time.wmv (9 min 13 sec)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
I can fly my 3D foamy!

After taking a long time off and actually learning to fly RC I have re-maidened my P-51 profile foamy. I had a good time with it even though I did dump it on the grass a few times Managed to hover a little, lots of rolls and loops with some flat turns thrown it. It flys well and is actually pretty easy. Stay tuned to the end and catch my "Ridgewalker" in the outtakes Enjoy
Re-maiden Flight Of The P-51 Foamy (6 min 49 sec)
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Great job

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
After taking a long time off and actually learning to fly RC I have re-maidened my P-51 profile foamy. I had a good time with it even though I did dump it on the grass a few times Managed to hover a little, lots of rolls and loops with some flat turns thrown it. It flys well and is actually pretty easy. Stay tuned to the end and catch my "Ridgewalker" in the outtakes Enjoy
http://vimeo.com/45040075
Well flown and I love the RW manuver, almost got one in my second flight of the Reaper. Was that a inverted landing just before the out takes? great job on the sticks sure enjoyed the vid.

Five Korns all day long keep them coming.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Well flown and I love the RW manuver, almost got one in my second flight of the Reaper. Was that a inverted landing just before the out takes? great job on the sticks sure enjoyed the vid.

Five Korns all day long keep them coming.
Thanks Not inverted but It's easy to loose orientation in this one in the morning sun though When I lost it in the sun the next thing I could see was it coming straight at me! If I had not ducked, woulda got me I cut the throttle and pulled up as I ducked and it semi landed without any damage. Going to be flying this one a lot I can tell.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
This was some stunts with the cub and glider. With the Radian Pro those are power off loops and stall flips, then power on inverted flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blg3PEd2Iio
Nice flying back at ya... Those are pretty slow rolls on the FC, is that by choice or will it roll faster? Pretty cotton candy skies too
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying back at ya... Those are pretty slow rolls on the FC, is that by choice or will it roll faster? Pretty cotton candy skies too
Thats as fast as she will roll, it speeds up a bit if I throw in full opposite rudder and snap roll her but thats a bit hard on the air frame. The glider roll is 5 times slower and will wobble your knees. It feels like it will never end lol
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:17 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,915 Posts
Quote:

That was funny whirlcap....good one!
Every one of my planes has flow into me at one time or another,or close enough i had to jump aside quick.

Those sun spots in the eye can get ya...i get the sun spots in the eyes then look the other direction and fly the plane...well when i focus on the plane off in the distance flying i still have spots in my eyes...and the spot is always right where the plane is.

That's a neat little plane....and you fly it well.
Just takes off out of your hand like that and climbs straight up gently...reminds me of that one Blu has...yours looks like it flies kind of the same...rolls and tricks and looks light,like it's flying to slow to stay up.

Fixed my loose motor mount on the Sweeper wing,nice and solid now....just have to wait a week for the esc and battery to get here...the speed of free shipping.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
can hardly wait to see more of the sweeper great flying wing RW.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
the carnival scene you get an A for that
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:13 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Had a bad day of flying yesterday -- all due to my destroyed lipos - which in the end, is my own fault.

My fairly new Nano-Tech 2650mah was in the big Cessna 182 when it failed at just 5 minutes. I was headed downwind at the time, so a turn was impossible (it would have flipped over) so it dropped-in before I could drop flaps. Broke the cowl and cracked open the fuselage around the cabin.

Next, I flew the FW190 and it was fine, but on the 2nd flight, I put a newer Sky Lipo 1800mah in it and it failed after 2 circuits. I was able to land it into the grass, but it snagged a small dirt mound and spun once. It was a good 150 yds away, so I drove across the field to get it.
It was okay, except the motor mount had been ripped out. Fixed that last night with hot glue and some extra screws.

Put up the Super Cub with an older Airfield 2200mah. It ran for about 4 minutes before losing prop power @ LVC.
Naturally, the Super Cub is a dream to dead stick down, so I was able to slide it down to the field in front of me. But the grass was too long and it flipped over, putting a crack in the cowl. But no other damage.

So here's the foolishness: 5 lipos have been destroyed because I failed to use the balance charge intermittently. On all 5 of them , the 1st cell shows less than 3.4 volts and just barely reached 3.7 volts when the charger beeps.
I'm pretty PO'd at myself about this. I currently have only 3 good lipos and no expendable cash available due to my "underemployed writing gig situation."

So I can make 3 flights, maybe 4, if I bring my charger along. Plus I have 6 good UM lipos, so I can fly my Champ or T-28... a lot.

As I restock my batteries, I'll ALWAYS be balance charging. It would be really cool if the manufacturers of these chargers would include a SIMPLE BASIC OWNER'S MANUAL so this wouldn't happen to others.

BTW, one of my brand-new HK Turnigy 3s 2200mah lipos I got last week? One of them has a very weak cell.

Sometimes, I think I should check out of the hobby 'til get my sh** together.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
On all days Mac sorry to hear about the issues. Glad all is working out. Have a relaxing 4th of July. At least we got our champs still running smooth
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,969 Posts
Great vids Thumper and WC, thanks.

Mac, I've balance charged all my batteries from day one, every use, and they're all in good shape and working well. I use my AC6 charger and check levels before and after charging.
Doing this helps me determine how long I should set my tx timer for each plane, usually so that I use less than 80% of the batteries capacity. New batteries I cycle at less then 60% for a number of flights to break them in. I never charge over 1C.

I highly recommend a great shop/field tool to all of you. The Electrifly Powermatch. It's a watt meter, battery checker, and cell balancer. It's cheaper then the great Wattsup meter and gives you all the necessary data.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer