Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:12 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Thanks for looking Viper.

Crashed bad again this mourning with the big T-28. At least I got 3 great flights before the end. I seem to have a thing with basketball backboards as some of you might remember in my Champ video. It's a BIG difference between hitting a BB with a 1 0z Champ and a +2 pound T-28. Oh well, another major repair. Thank goodness the flying rush makes it worth it !
Blu
So what's the skinny on the PZ though, Blu?
Does it cruise nicely at lower speeds as well as fast? Does it sail around as nicely as its little bro?
Did you get any video of the latest flights?

Not interested in the crash, because I weep openly at the sight of any T-28 crash. But I'd love to see your fly-bys and evidence of nice cruising characteristics.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
So what's the skinny on the PZ though, Blu?
Does it cruise nicely at lower speeds as well as fast? Does it sail around as nicely as its little bro?
Did you get any video of the latest flights?

Not interested in the crash, because I weep openly at the sight of any T-28 crash. But I'd love to see your fly-bys and evidence of nice cruising characteristics.

Mac
Yes to all Mac. It's flies so solid, it just goes through the sky with authority. In calm to a small breeze it doesn't bobble or get floaty. The landings are what get me nervous. Downwind it comes in pretty hot but really stable. My failure this crash was trying to come in upwind which is way better as she slows down almost like a um. But my approach line in that direction was limited, so short and steep final and the rest is history. After repairs, I'll get video on my next run.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:54 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
923 Posts
Sounds like fun Blu, want one of those larger ones BAD!!
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Sounds like fun Blu, want one of those larger ones BAD!!
When you fly the "big ones" things get pretty serious when you're flinging 2 pounds or more around the sky! Yahoooo!
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
I wonder if I will get to fly a big one someday. I have a lot of space in my neighborhood, at about a 2 minute walk I have a field about 3 football fields long, and 2 wide. I think that should be ample.

Don't think I will be buying one anytime soon though, probably if anything scratch building.

Mac, I really want to know the status of your T-28!

Where the heck is Ridge? And what about that other guy, notnewton. I was really looking forward to his work.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Last edited by astronaut; Jul 19, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:46 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
The Firebird Commander II flies one more lap

I took my Champ and FBCII out Fiday got one lap and on the down wind leg had those mushy flight response to the inputs. Got her turned and landed but the CA joint on the V tail cracked. I think I just need another tail that one is shot. Then flew the Champ for three more hours what a blast
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,437 Posts
Only thing I flew today, was my UM T-28 that I just repaired. It had a bad power lead into the brick. I cut it and put another one on. Then remounted the brick and zero'd her in. Man, she flew Great!!! I loved it. Miss Tina was watchin from the back porch and said it was beautifull. Good stuff. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
I wonder if I will get to fly a big one someday. I have a lot of space in my neighborhood, at about a 2 minute walk I have a field about 3 football fields long, and 2 wide. I think that should be ample.

Don't think I will be buying one anytime soon though, probably if anything scratch building.

Mac, I really want to know the status of your T-28!

Where the heck is Ridge? And what about that other guy, notnewton. I was really looking forward to his work.
Hey guys. I'm still here, I've just been kept busy at work and at home. This is the first i've checked in in a few days.

I am trying to make the guts to one of my helicopters fit into my corsair build. I'm not sure the motor is going to be strong enough though. I guesss I'll find out as soon as I get sime time to get the brick and motor mount glued down.

Wow! you three have been building fools. Mac have you maidened the T yet?

Astro, how is your latest build coming? Has it been in the air?

Ridge the new plane is looking great!

Mark
notnewton is offline Find More Posts by notnewton
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:20 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I just finished digging the Rimfire out of the scratch-T and put in a faster Airfield 800mm 1300kv motor. Now it weighs 14 oz less.
I am MUCH more happy with this and plan to maiden her before the weekend.

But I had a chance to get out and fly the big 55" Cessna Sky Trainer yesterday, so I did that and had a ball!

Anyone else -- besides ME -- go sort've M.I.A. for "Shark Week"?
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I just finished digging the Rimfire out of the scratch-T and put in a faster Airfield 800mm 1300kv motor. Now it weighs 14 oz less.
I am MUCH more happy with this and plan to maiden her before the weekend.

But I had a chance to get out and fly the big 55" Cessna Sky Trainer yesterday, so I did that and had a ball!

Anyone else -- besides ME -- go sort've M.I.A. for "Shark Week"?
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 16, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:14 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Finally got some stick time in. I feel like im always saying that...

My moms best freind brought here little kids over to watch me fly my "pwanes". I took them and the T-28 and the Champ to the runoff pond behind my house and gave em a show. I started out with the Champ and put about 10 minutes on it. After flying the T-28and the jet fighter Cessna the Champ is a crawler. It is still a blast to fly. I did some low and slow fly-bys for them and they were getting a huge kick out of it.

Then I took the T-28 out and got them really going. They had a blast chasing it and trying to catch it. I would cut the throttle and bring it in to them out in the field and then gas it when they reached out for it..is that mean?

Then we were all on top of the hill and I did some WOT passes as close as I could...I almost took my head off lol They had the most fun when I was about 1/4 throttle coming straight at them and then gas it and just pull up in front of thier faces ( I made sure not to get to close, thier mother was with them and she was getting just as much fun out of it!)

Only had one mishap wher I flew it into the tree. Somehow, maybe by an act of god, all of a sudden it comes flying back out of the tree! The pack was hanging out and when I landed it wasnt there! Good thing I had a two shorties to help me find it!

If im not to worn out I will try and fly again friday after work. Back up at 5am tomorrow and 4am on friday..but no tree gigs here
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:24 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
Sad News

I'm sorry for being a wet blanket, but, my brother sent word that my Dad had a massive stroke, he is in real bad shape. The thing is, they all live in S.Africa and I'm here in the States, so all I can offer are my deepest thoughts and prayers. Any kind words from my fellow Champsters and perhaps even a small prayer would go a long way in helping my small family and I cope in this difficult time.

Thank you, Pauli.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:12 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
I'm sorry for being a wet blanket, but, my brother sent word that my Dad had a massive stroke, he is in real bad shape. The thing is, they all live in S.Africa and I'm here in the States, so all I can offer are my deepest thoughts and prayers. Any kind words from my fellow Champsters and perhaps even a small prayer would go a long way in helping my small family and I cope in this difficult time.

Thank you, Pauli.
Sorry to hear that your dad had a stroke,and the distance involved...

I wish you and your family well through this difficult journey.

Please keep strong

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:23 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
have to wait for the wind to stop and give another try.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Jun 16, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
Ridge that is one great looking build. Good luck getting her up! Third times a charm.
notnewton is offline Find More Posts by notnewton