HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:42 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Maybe one day Astro. There is a video, youve probably all seen it, of those slope gliders doing 300mph. How would you even see/control/have range for a mach 1 rc plane?

If you have at least $3000 you could get yourself a jetcat usa turbine. But that might set your pilots license back a bit lol.

And Lee, man you're nuts! I was freaking out when the llama was coming towars your leg! You were about to be LEE theonelegged TREEGUY. Wicked nice skills though! I tried my brothers tiny little heli once...I landed it in the dog bowl. HOWEVER, thats what started me in RC and a week later after that I bought the cessna lol

And just when you're feeling down, these guys are here to pick you back up

RC HELI CRASHES!! (6 min 15 sec)
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Last edited by GJOsik; Jul 14, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
Punch it Tina, punch it! Show it who's boss.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Lee, in the words of Chief Brody in JAWS: "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
I think you need a bigger room - to be fair to Ms. Tina!
I could barely get my Syma S107 off the floor in that space! But a LAMA???
HA HA HA!

Speaking of "over powered" I just got a "Power Up 400 Zoom" motor from HeadsUpRC and this thing is a 2200kv screaming-banshee!!
It turns the prop so fast and torques so much air behind my 800mm T-28 that it's just downright scary.

Way Off-Topic Stuff:
But no flying this morning. I had so much knee and lower calf pain last night that couldn't sleep. I opted to pump some air into the tires of my 12-speed trail bike and go get some much-needed exercise before it climbed in the sweltering low-90s down here.

The first 3/4-mile was absolute misery. Every time I raised my left knee, the pain would shoot through my entire leg -- and my BRAIN.
But at the 1 mile mark, I started feeling "loose" and I could actually power through each peddle rotation. Now I have zero knee and leg pain, so I'm going to have to get out there and ride more each day.

My stepkid got a guitar for his 13th birthday. In 8 months I taught him all I could and he just left me in the dust. Now he's becoming "accomplished" and just recently finished summer music camp at University of Miami's Frost School of Music.
Now he's 17 - going into his JR year at hogh school. Lats night he played at a local pub and there was a pack of lil' females waiting to see him play.
Awesome!
Anyway, here's my stepson auditioning at U of Miami.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:18 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
That's awesome Mac. A guy I work with brings his music book in and writes music when we have down time. He said he just hears it in his head and then writes it down with those funky looking symbols lol. I took the mandatory music classes throughout middle school and they mind as we'll have been teaching me hebrew or arabic. I wish I had the skill and interest but I don't.

On a side note, I once again failed to wake up to fly before work. The past 3 days I've worked at 1pm and have failed to wake up in time to fly. I'm pathetic lol. I have an alarm clock across the room that I have to get up to turn off and another one next to my bed that requires me to do 10 math problems correctlly before it turns off. I have every Intention of waking up. And flying but it doesn't happen. I'm off tomorrow so ill fly then then I'm grounded until next wed when I work 5am to 1pm, then I'm back to being grounded because ill be out of the country.

My big lipos have been fully charged since Tuesday night so I hope since its onlly been a short time they aren't damaged.......

Oh and again, Mac, what are you using that motor for? Your scratch t-28? You should put that baby on the cessna! And that apc 11x7 prop I found, how do I know its for electrics? It seems kind of heavy and thick and I feel like if I use it it will burn up my motor and puff the pack
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Last edited by GJOsik; Jul 14, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
That was a great video Mac! I wish him all the best in his future endeavors, I know he will succeed with those skills and make you proud! Thanks for sharing that.

I've always wanted to play the guitar, even have one, but it's too hard to self teach. I tried to get into the guitar class at my uni, but it always fills up before my enrollment date. I actually am a big fan of the acoustic though, and hope I can play one someday. I really would like to sing and play my own songs

Lee, that was a pretty cool video! That thing looks huuuge! Well, way bigger than my S107 lol
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Last edited by astronaut; Jul 14, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Just blowed the rotor in my T-45...

50mm T-45 Blown rotor (0 min 54 sec)
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
Just blowed the rotor in my T-45...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPhJ4cD70U
I couldn't see the plane till it came below the trees and you made that hot landing!
Man,you were coming in fast,glad you were able to save it though.

So what are you going to do now...get a bigger motor! lol

If you had the keychain cam on the plain and made some high speed ground passes the ground would probably be just a blur!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,144 Posts
Viper, WOW!!! Nicely done. I am very tired ya'll. Worked too hard today. LOL. Feels like I climbed MT. Everast with a rope. Whew.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
what was the temperature out there, Viper?
Do you think the heat combined with the motor going 65,000RPM had an effect?

Got my scratch T-28 ready to go, but that Rimfire motor has all torque and no speed. Plus, it's a friggin' PIG... @ 42 grams!
I ruined my CG once I dropped it in.
Now I'm going to put the Airfield 800mm T-28 motor in there. It's light and it cranks some RPMs.

I want this plane to float -- not run WOT to stay aloft.

Mac
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:32 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Yea the stock rotor couldn't handle the high rpm I guess. Temp was about 80-85.
Kinda scared me. Luckily I was high enough to get it in a good glide and lose some speed. Came in pretty hot, thats for sure. Just glad It happened when I was really high, instead of on a low high speed pass. I used spoilerons to help bleed of extra speed. Also why it came in at such a high AoA.

That was a 5 blade rotor, I'm going to replace with a 6. Bummer tho, won't be able to fly it for a few days. Same motor tho.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
That was cool Viper! I mean, I know it sucks that it broke, but the landing was really cool. At least you have footage of it - it's one for the history books

The rotor probably isn't too expensive to replace though, right?

85 isn't too bad. Past few days it's been so hot here, sometimes close to 95!

---

Guys, I'm having trouble re-binding with my DX5e multiple times. It seems to take a while to bind, and then once it binds, it takes like 2 minutes for the signal to 'settle' in. Until then, it keeps going on and off. After that, it's fine. Does this make any sense? I'm thinking I will start using my stock Tx for my scratch builds, at least until I get a better Tx.
Last edited by astronaut; Jul 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Guys, Check out this little P-51.
Awesome detail.
21.5" wingspan. Perfect for backyard flying.
$90.
http://www.rcwarez.com/pnp-micro-p51...071d9e6e2c9f0e
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts

7 PM
The History International Channel:

Vengeance at Midway
June 1942
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Pretty quiet in here today.

Hopefully everyones been out flying. Weather was awesome here today. Cloudy with a little breeze and about 75-80*. I was pretty bummed about not being able to fly my T-45. I had a 6 blade rotor that I thought I had messed up drilling it out to fit my F-86 shaft. So I worked on it a little more and got it in my T-45, been ripping the sky up all evening. I took advantage of this great weather and flew about 20 packs or more. I've had a plane in the air since 5 o'clock. Neck is kinda stiff from looking up into the sky for 4 hours..

Do you guys parallel charge or just charge one battery @ a time?
I charge 2 at a time @ 2C, which only takes about 30 minutes. If your not parallel charging I would highly recommend it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:26 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Wow, sounds like a lot of fun Viper! Wish I could fly that long!

Re: Charging...well I only have the stock charger, the stock 150, and a Hyp 240. I charge them individually. Not much more I can do there...

---

Ready to maiden my P-51 tomorrow. Pic attached! I just don't like how everything is so exposed. The Rx, gearbox, AS2000, everything is so susceptible to the elements. I'll have to be really careful with it. Man...I really want other setups, these micro components aren't really my cup of tea. Sorry about whining about them so much lol

My next builds will be the BYOB, and then Funder & Lightning!
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM.