HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Big Jim
RTF Thumper's Avatar
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Improved gear system

The added strut worked great, look forward to the build RW
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
As for the drama on this thread...

I kinda feel like we are all part of a really big family. Or club if you will. The Champsters!!!
Some of us are elders, some of us are sibblings, some of us are distant relatives, but all contribute to make this one of the best threads I have ever participated in. Thanks to you all. Lee
No worries everyone! It's just the Internet and while it it no doubt a family of friends here, keep in mind it's informal and lack the intended tone often! Jokes become insults etc. Add to that, typo's and smart phone (iPad too) word replacements and then toss in a few from accross the ocean and things really get interesting! Always best to ignore was seems to come from left field as its usually not as it seems.

Happy flying all!
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
:Always best to ignore was seems to come from left field as its usually not as it seems.
'Zactly.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
MaladroitFL's Avatar
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I started looking at foamie builds and found this incredibly huge Cub!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581665




108" wingspan!!! That's 9-feet!


HUGE.



Talk about your STOL!!!
1/4 skala kaffe-Cub (1 min 57 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
It is true. I have seen it happen on several other threads. Someone thinks of something, then types it in. On the other end, someone reads something. And thinks of it a whole nother way. What is thought of as a joke can be mis-interpreted easily into a malice attack. And then some others will say something and hide behind a smiley face like it was a joke. It is hard sometimes to judge true meaning and intent of just words with no inflection of tone to help. So, since this is my dream. I think I will say, "Happy Flyin."
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,968 Posts
I think you're all a bunch of tools! but I'll put up with ya.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Wholly Cow Mac!!! That bird was huge. Miss Tina would have a PHIT if I did that in the house. hahahahaha. Hmmmm. Where is my foam?
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
Nice Cub! What is the type of connector that a 1s battery plugs into?I doinked my um t-28 this morning in the wind and it wrecked my battery connector on the plane.
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,915 Posts
Thumper...

Is that going to be strong enough...the landing gear,have to wait for test flights right.
Thinking on a rough landing the gear could bend the area where it's mounted to the fuselage.(foam)

If it does end up being a little weak in that area you could build a fuselage with thicker foam.
Maybe a triple layer thick from what you have or could try some 1/2'' pink foam and cut the fuse from that.
Then you could use a 1/2'' little piece of wood glued into the foam for the landing gear to mount into.
Cut a slit into the wood block and slide/press the gear wire up into the slit.
Maybe experiment on a scrap piece of wood first to be sure it would work.

If you can drill good then also an idea would be to drill a hole on each side of the wood block for the gear wire to set into.
Use two wires,one on each side that will fit into the mounting hole,don't drill the hole all the way through though,maybe a spot of glue to hold the gear in there.
If the wire is glued in and needs to be removed...heat the wire close to where it's glued in with a lighter.
The heated wire will get hot and release it's bond with any glue.
Have done that with super glue and aluminum head parts on a heli.
The super glue would prevent a screw from loosening and heat on the screw head from a soldering iron would be enough to release the glue bond.
Super glue will break down around 212*f.
Have boiled and baked many rc truck tires,on an rc truck the tires are mounted to the wheels by way of super glue.
And rc truck tires and wheels are expensive,so when the tires where out,to save a buck and not have to buy new wheels and tires (over $100) a bit of a bake in the oven would break the glue bond and with a pair of gloves (tires are hot out of the oven) you can remove the tires from the wheels.



Not knocking your plane at all,just thinking and giving some thoughts.


Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
Big Jim
RTF Thumper's Avatar
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Thumper...

Is that going to be strong enough...the landing gear,have to wait for test flights right.
Thinking on a rough landing the gear could bend the area where it's mounted to the fuselage.(foam)

If it does end up being a little weak in that area you could build a fuselage with thicker foam.
Maybe a triple layer thick from what you have or could try some 1/2'' pink foam and cut the fuse from that.
Then you could use a 1/2'' little piece of wood glued into the foam for the landing gear to mount into.
Cut a slit into the wood block and slide/press the gear wire up into the slit.
Maybe experiment on a scrap piece of wood first to be sure it would work.

If you can drill good then also an idea would be to drill a hole on each side of the wood block for the gear wire to set into.
Use two wires,one on each side that will fit into the mounting hole,don't drill the hole all the way through though,maybe a spot of glue to hold the gear in there.
If the wire is glued in and needs to be removed...heat the wire close to where it's glued in with a lighter.
The heated wire will get hot and release it's bond with any glue.
Have done that with super glue and aluminum head parts on a heli.
The super glue would prevent a screw from loosening and heat on the screw head from a soldering iron would be enough to release the glue bond.
Super glue will break down around 212*f.
Have boiled and baked many rc truck tires,on an rc truck the tires are mounted to the wheels by way of super glue.
And rc truck tires and wheels are expensive,so when the tires where out,to save a buck and not have to buy new wheels and tires (over $100) a bit of a bake in the oven would break the glue bond and with a pair of gloves (tires are hot out of the oven) you can remove the tires from the wheels.



Not knocking your plane at all,just thinking and giving some thoughts.


Ridgewalker
Thanks for the ideas, Its all R and D at this point. All thoughts welcomend. Untill she flies who knows.....She may be a real pig lol. I have the CG on and will have lots of thrust she will fly .......how well is a diffrent matter. To reduce cost and keep the build dead simple is why the gear is the way it is now. will see how she flies, Boomsplat has a couple of servos from a salvaged plane. So we should see her fly soon.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,915 Posts
Mac...

That "Coffee Cub" is awesome!!

That's about the size i need..lol...no really.

Gears are a turning......


Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Thanks for the ideas, Its all R and D at this point. All thoughts welcomend.
Made up a quick wire landing gear,here is a video...easier to show and tell..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AzDY5PGC34

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Jan 26, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Hey RW, that looks great buddy. I think that would be pretty strong. Good idea. I mean, the way it slips up around the foam looks really good to me. Awesome brain ya got bro.

So, I went out with four batts and a beater beast. Had a freakin blast. I dialed it on up and was doin some pretty good trick flyin. For me at least. I did find myself in trouble once though. I was inverted and less than four feet high. hahahaha. Man, was that close. I came in and then walked to the mail box. Guys, I got some really good news in the mail. I have a for real Doctors appointment in Feburary. Not my family praticioner. But a general and spine specialists meeting. They are gonna hopefully x-ray me all again and make it official. This is from the state/government. I might just finally get some for real help. Finally!!! Woot hoo. I am so relieved I just had to share. As you were. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Champflyr's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Ugh. One of my younger siblings brought the stomach flu home from school, and now I have it. Didn't even get any sleep last night, was up barfin every 20 minutes. I feel really bad now, so much for my 4-day weekend.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,973 Posts
Dang CF, that really sucks. Stomach Flu can be one of the worse things in life. Hope you get better soon. Ginger ale, and saltine crackers might help. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Another Topic on Champ Vs Mini Cub :) Tcragun56 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 36 Mar 17, 2011 04:39 AM
The Off Topic, Off Topic Thread #2 Spadplanter Life, The Universe, and Politics 13 Jun 25, 2004 08:33 AM
The Off Topic, Off Topic Thread Spadplanter Life, The Universe, and Politics 76 Jun 17, 2004 01:40 AM