HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Sitting here doing an "aircraft assessment" after "building" a huge pot of tomato meat sauce.
  1. UM T-28 is waiting on a new body. An entirely new body.
  2. Champ #1 - weak motor - no ROG at all
  3. Champ #2: cracked GB. I have a glued/thread repaired one waiting to go in.
  4. UM Corsair: was making stripped gear sound when last landing
  5. FW190: gotta glue the busted cowl back together. Otherwise it's fixed.
  6. 55" Cessna: broken cowl, misaligned motor, one split tire.
  7. McNasty: loose rudder tape on both sides, loose dragger wheel shaft
  8. Bixler: elevator servo making a "SNAP" noise. Broken tooth in gear?
  9. Dynam T-28: good to go
  10. Super Cub: good to go.
  11. Spad 13: Too chicken to fly it yet (balsa and monocote)

11 planes: only 3 are airworthy - only 2 are ready-to-go.
Last week - all 11 were good to go.

I hate it when I get into these ruts. It's happened before. Then I fix 'em and enjoy weeks of great flying....until...
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
thnx helibard. I have the 1.5mm and 5043, that I can swap on, maybe I will thanks to you reminding me. get a lil more speed pumping.

RTF You arhe the Builder for sure, I wonder if you'll do a SST build?

loved the shot you looking out at the plane flying sweet!

Ole man winter is running away from you guys for sure

Mac we hear ya

1 Champ is up and ready wit hteh t28 motor
2 vacation champ reglued body up and ready, still want to replace fuse wings. love a good lookin champ
3 Cub is ready to go
4 T28 is ready to go
5 new plane on list
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
RIDGEWALKER!
Wait'll you see this UM P-51 Mustang conversion to a P-51 Gunfighter!
This guy is selling it, but the $160 is a little steep for a modded UM....

Still, it's pretty sweet:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571569

Now...
Where is VIPER82????

MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Jan 11, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
thought we all have a share at New T28's here
Champflyr, mac and some others Lol.
Well....soon as my parents let me, anyway But soon and very soon.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
maybe this will get them going

Mistake in an order, I have the motor and mount as well. but the motor is in the T28, so thechamp will be substituted if I ever get the extras or others

Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
"Bixler: elevator servo making a "SNAP" noise. Broken tooth in gear?"
Mac,

Somebody on here thought my METAL GEAR $7.00 servos were overkill for my NotaBix.

I've just done the replacement on one wing. I know your glued wing is gonna make things difficult for you; here's how I did it...

With a new single-edge razor blade, using a metal straightedge I cut a slot about 1/4" wide using the glue line for one cut, and a second cut 1/4" behind the glue line. Directly above the servo wire. I didnt worry about cutting the wire, I'm tossing the original servos. They are junk (plastic junk, that is...) I laid the metal ruler down on the foam as a leverage point and the servo popped out with steady pressure with no dented foam.

You can then use the servo wire to pull out the foam piece from the slot.
You'll need 12" servo extension wires on your new servos, the connector joint lies within the trench, which I relieved slightly to accomodate the connectors.

Then you can simply glue in the piece removed from the trench back in place. It'll protrude a skosh (technical term) and you can just knock it down with a sanding block.

I'm also replacing all horns and clevises, and adding small dia. carbon rod inlaid on the bottom of the elevator and ailerons. Look at your ailerons from behind and watch how they warp when activated by the un-centered horn location. I'm cutting almost through the hinge points to free them up, and using Blenderm tape for the hinges. This can all be done with the plane assembled, it'll just be awkward to handle.

I'm really enjoying mucking about doing all this. I've been so happy with my reliable Champ that I havent done any good muckin' in entirely too long.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
MAC,

Just saw this.

Road Trip!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572340
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:12 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,878 Posts
Mac,that looks like a nice little plane...but to be honest.
I'm good with what i have for micro planes,the Champ's and the up on blocks UM T-28.

That quad thing HH is coming out with looks neat but....not jumping on that one.

Now that i have been flying the wing and Super Cub and Mustang i really like the bigger planes much better.
Don't get me wrong the micros are cool and i will always have a Champ or two.
But the bigger planes are less limited by the wind which means more fly time!
Also easier for me to see.
-------------------------------------------------

Fishy.
Whatcha got there.

Don't get rid of your Super Cub!!!
I know what you mean feeling in a corner 'er something at the field.
Some times when i fly if i stand at a different spot than i usually do i don't always fly well.
And then at other times i can stand,walk while flying and it makes no difference.

The field where you fly,where the dirt bike has passed through,that's plenty of room for the S/C.
Just take it slow....you have flown the S/C up there and all,...just more time with it you'll be fine with it man!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Blu....
Weren't you supposed to get a Super Cub way back when Fishy got his??
Get one man,adding ailerons is easy if you want them.
Mac flies with only rudder and he is happy with it.
Adding ailerons just gives you even more control and is not a must do type of thing....but i will say they really make the plane a joy to fly.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Champflyr One should not worry bout the video, but of the flight. so if you want footage just shoot it. once you multi task trouble comes
Oh, did I forget to mention that I have about 5 potential camerapersons (my older sister, 12 yo brother, and two even younger) (plus my dad who usually likes to watch my maiden(s))? Haha all my younger siblings love to come and chase after my Champ whenever I go flying.. so I should be able to pull one of them
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Champflyr, you're set bro. no need to worry.

Ridgewalker. that is a mistake made supposed to be a champ body, think it is a P51 got no use for it now but holding on to it.

Not getting rid of the Cub hell no, just saying I need a in between plane biggerthan the champ, and smaller than the Cub, the Mini cub is sweet, perfect size but FM.

Is it worth modding to a DSM2 guts. I was told it is no hard to do but is it worth doing , or getting a Wing dragon III or piper j cub a thing lol.

I guess being away from home for a few months got to me Lol. no flying since med december to Lol.

Start slow the champ and then once awhile the cub.

I should break out the DX6I and learn it repeated info. I know

My Birthday coming up nect month guys why I am planning for a new plane.

Deserve it hip hip a year in the hobby and I have all you guys old and new to thank

THANK YOU
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

Not getting rid of the Cub hell no, just saying I need a in between plane biggerthan the champ, and smaller than the Cub, the Mini cub is sweet, perfect size but FM.
Yes an in between plane would be very good.
Something with about a 25-30'' wingspan.
Wish they would come out with a full house Champ that fit that size.

I know your looking for a smaller plane than the s/c but a little bigger than the champ....me too.

But from what i've read about the mini super cub i would pass on it.
Some have modded it and put real servos in it and a brushless motor which also means a brushless esc.

I bought the wing for a mini s/c when i built a mini s/c of my own design (remember it crashed in a tree and someone cut the tree down to get the plane back ).
The wing is on the lines of the champ wing,just a little thicker...the mini s/c wing looks nothing like the wing on the regular old s/c.
It seemed flimsy and twisted kind of easy...i just didn't like the wing,it made me crash.LOL!!!!

No really,i was probably not moving quick enough and got the wobbles/stalled...tried to save it and...into the tree.lol

You could mod a mini s/c like i was saying but is it worth it?
That's up to you to decide.
If you like the plane and figure you'll be able to do the mods then go for it.
There should be some info around these forums somewhere about how to make the mini s/c brushless/DSM2 ready.

Not sure of what a Wing dragon III is.
A piper cub is like a super cub in looks.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
http://www.bananahobby.com/2190.html

Banana hobby, mini wing dragon 300 it is the in between plane.

I am and still in my decision. thinking always of the Slow stick, remembering the propeller will be an issue. it is a good 40 plus inchs, still not in between.

Mini S-C http://rcfunlab.com/articles/how-con...le-flight-time

Funcolab. nice write up.

I seen the mini S-C in person it resembles the S-C even had the wing in hand, and guessing that it was just a wing, nothing more.

I remember we said to pass, on it early on, hate to mod a new plane, so it is better to look into the Min dragon a little more ,but not jump on it .

Not many video's out there tagged.

With flying the Champ/Cub, landing the tail does not hit bottom, looking at the Dragon it is a low tail, afraid that it will hit bottom on any landing. the tail wheel is only a mm off the back .

I hear ya Ridgewalker. exactly what I want a 30 inch wingspan. I am looking away at teh foam fusalages, a fuselage can be glued easily, while a carbon stick can be spleced with couplers if found.

The wing dragon runs around 80-130 paying for that extra wing. I am not interested in airlons at the moment, just flying like the champ. relaxing and flying.

Maybe a glider I should look into.I have all the time in the world. so I shall keep watching video's. and maybe just bite for a Slow stick at $28.00 for a full kit less electronic parts to run it, that is not bad at all

thanks for your imput it is truely appriciated. will keep you posted.

RidgewalkerI hear you about the Youtube video, take your time bud No matter what your work will pay off, all those memories.

maybe we can do that here a vid from everyone and have a Intro/outro. saying Hey I am Fish, come fly with me etc....
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,824 Posts
Fish, I am so proud of you.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Fish, I am so proud of you.
I am honered to have a friend like you lee.

I may need some assistance on the DX6I but not yet. trying to get into the swing of things.

The DX6I I will research some online video's. thank lee
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:47 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,824 Posts
I am suffering from insomnia guys. Not one winks sleep last night. Got told rain delay on tree gig. Got the call at noon. Let's go to work. I am exausted now. I dont have a SC. But I do have a big cessna. Ailerons and all. And it was less than $125. I have a piper cub that is slightly bigger than a champ. Bl motor and ailerons. Just over $100.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy