HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
Welcome K5DDZ!!! Brace yourself for a LOT of fun.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
K5DDZ, glad you are here. If you are nervous about crashing your champ on its maiden, don't worry I was too. I did crash (my fault) but all it got was a grass stain which was easily washed off. Mac, that sucks if someone did that to my Champ (or future T-28) I would be rioting in front of their house until they agreed to pay me for a new bird.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
I think I would have pulled a weapon and sam'd that radian out of the sky. Big as they are, I bet I could have hit it. Hey, that gives me an idea. Muhahaha
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Mac, we at our field are very mindful of plane landings or recovery. Educate and real VFR (Visual Flight Rules) IAW Aims, are see and be seen, Landing aircraft have the right of way in all cases. This guy would get one of those and we would press the replacement issue and give the bits and pieces to the offending party. If the BEYACH declined to make it right three wings (assassins) would target the punk each time he came to the field to include his vehicle. The Assassin can take it. I flew the Raptor today........It was Amazing, I will let BoomSplat and Bowsonn tell ya about it. As I too seem to be having jippy joe camera issues. I am going to buy a Go Pro Hero. I am done with Key chain cameras. The Raptor Rocked
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
Ohh man Thumper, I would have loved to have seen it flyin. Dang camera. arrrggghhh
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
Look what I made...

Waiting to paint it. Need to know first what it will go on. ahhaha
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Mac, must be something bad in the air with all these crashes.

How about a yellow paint job re-build on your big T-28?

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
Mac, please don't post pics of it. I think I would cry.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
The Worst Day of my RC Flying Experience

Sorry about the bad hat-cam placement. I put a piece of foam on my visor and it was too high.
Slow motion close-up @ end.
Death of the UM T-28 (2 min 18 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5DDZ View Post
Just bought a Champ but haven't flown it yet. Weather want cooperate. Looking
fwd to flying. Getting instructions from OlThump, he got me interested in the hobby.

K5DDZ

Welcome K5DDZ to the Champ crowd.

Listen to Olthump, and you will be flying the Champ like a pro, He won't steer you wrong.

And have Olthump get the video of your maiden.

Bowsonn
bowsonn is offline Find More Posts by bowsonn
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Mac, we at our field are very mindful of plane landings or recovery. Educate and real VFR (Visual Flight Rules) IAW Aims, are see and be seen, Landing aircraft have the right of way in all cases. This guy would get one of those and we would press the replacement issue and give the bits and pieces to the offending party. If the BEYACH declined to make it right three wings (assassins) would target the punk each time he came to the field to include his vehicle. The Assassin can take it. I flew the Raptor today........It was Amazing, I will let BoomSplat and Bowsonn tell ya about it. As I too seem to be having jippy joe camera issues. I am going to buy a Go Pro Hero. I am done with Key chain cameras. The Raptor Rocked
Pulled into the parking lot at the field today and there was this beautiful black Raptor flying like a stealth bomber.

Great looking and flying build you got there RTF Thumper. A real keeper.

By the time I got my Radian out for the maiden, the winds kick up and now a few flurries falling. Will try later.

Oh, and Mrs. Bowsonn hasn't maidened her Night Vapor yet, too windy the past few days.

And I got Super Cub fever real bad, haven't been able to fly her due to weather for about 4 days.

Mac,

Sorry to hear about the yellow t-28. No matter what the reason, it hurts to loose a hanger mate.

Like Thumper said, maybe you need an Assassin.

Bowsonn

r
bowsonn is offline Find More Posts by bowsonn
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Welcome K5DDZ
The Champ is a Champ great little plane easy to repair,fun to fly!!

Mac...

You need a wing man!!
Give that dude's Radian a little wing clip.... set him straight!!
Some peoples kids....

Thumper...
The GoPro...
There may be other options at a better price,less fisheye,less weight and better sound recording quality.
I have read of of some GoPro's with so so sound quality.

There is the #11 HD...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692the #16 HD keychain cam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994 and also a "Full 1080p" cam a little bigger than the keychain cam coming out soon.
...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331

Do your research,read,read,read.
I jumped on the #16,maybe should have waited ,it's only been out a month.
The #16 was delivered today and will be getting some test videos soon.
An initial 29 sec vid test showed a much better video than my #3.

Lee...
Good to hear you have got a couple gigs!!!
The spinner looks good.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
[CENTER]The Worst Day of my RC Flying Experience

Sorry about the bad hat-cam placement. I put a piece of foam on my visor and it was too high.
Slow motion close-up @ end.
Dang. I'm a noob to all of this, especially flying with others but the way I figure it is as follows.

You can tell by the way he says: "I hollered 'launching'..." that he is trying to avoid responsibility for the crash, and it is true that when someone says "on the field" or "Taking off" etc, that those in the pattern need to yield, unless they need to land, in which case they identify that "I need to land first!", and do have priority. Landings always take priority, and a potential launcher should assure that no one NEEDS to land before proceeding, even after yelling 'hand launching here,' or whatever. It's not the rote of just saying it; it's the mechanics of control that are important.

That said, good old 'see and avoid' is always in play, and from the position that you guys impacted, it looks like your plane was already well into any 'safe' take off area when he decided to launch! So, unless he said "launching" well in advance, to where you could have (and should have) avoided entering his (likely?) take off zone, he just plain old seemed to be gabbing and not paying attention to traffic.

Again, no matter what the nuances of fault, it's a shame, BUT....

as bad as that looked, I swear, my own T-28 looked as bad, and I had written it off... then decided -- well, if you've written it off, then what's the harm in just trying to tack it back together -- just to see what happens? Well, sure enough, my old T-28 is very ugly in spots, but it flies true, and it did go back together... not sure it was worth the effort, compared to new parts/new plane, but...c'mon, the yellow T-28....
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:00 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,929 Posts
Mac, I thought I would cry. I was mistaken. I am Pee'd off. I told Miss Tina about it. And she is Pee'd off too. That guy is a real case. "I said launching!" Really? You SOB@ I am gonna say, "breaking your freakin nose." ArrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhFFFFT
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
That guy was a jerk. And I hope it never happens to me or i'll probably get into some legal trouble
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr