HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I do believe Bowsonn has the Super Cub Fever real Bad, he is going for the floats and flies it like he stole it. Bowsonn is flying that Cub so well I may just have to pop for it lol. Love the ROG and landings...
I was thinking the same thing this morning, Big Jim.
I flew the CUb, then a little Corsair, then the Bixler and Focke-Wulf, and then the Dynam T-28.

I loaded a 2nd battery into the Cub and as she gracefully ROG'd I thought, "Is there a better, more relaxing plane to fly?"

Sure, the Bix glides far and high and soars around, but the Cub is just so docile, light-of-wing and predictable (much like our Champs).

Driving home, I thought about all of my crashes -- I realized that many crashes were fixed a few days later, but I always seem to be compelled to fix that Cub as soon as I damage it.
Even if it means driving the 17 miles to the LHS as soon as I'm finished flying -- with aching, throbbing knees and wrenched leg muscles from the arthritic pain.

When the Cub's been down -- so am I & when the Cub is looking good and flying great, I feel great as well.

If I had to throw all but one of my planes away, I know the Cub would be the plane that stayed.
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:15 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
C'mon, Blu, Say It Aint So!
All your others have been winners after the "teething period".

What if the Niners gave up after a couple crashes???

Just teething you, bud.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
C'mon, Blu, Say It Aint So!
All your others have been winners after the "teething period".

What if the Niners gave up after a couple crashes???

Just teething you, bud.
It was those fricken pinstripes I put on it, I just know it!
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Blu, that is one sad story.

I know what you mean though, because that's what happened with my Airfield 800mm T-28. That plane would NOT fly for me. No matter what I did, no matter where I put the CG, no matter what motors, receivers or TX I used, it would just crash and crash some more.
Finally, I gave up on it and donated its gut to science (i.e. the mcNasty!) ha ha!

I gave the motor to old Focke-Wulf Fred. And today old Fredreich arrived at the field with a Super Cub with my motor in it! Man did that Cub ROG quick! It was off the pavement in about 3-4 feet!

It was too fast for the old Luftwaffe pilot to handle and he crashed it into the grass after a decent 6-7 minute flight. Poor ol' Fred. He just keeps crashing his planes. But he keeps trying!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:30 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
Sorry to just butt in, but this is something I thought was worth sharing..

Sweet Georgia Brown & traktor (edited version) (2 min 18 sec)
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
To add insult to injury I just reviewed my videos and the 1st flight that was somewhat successful didn't film. Only the last one with the crash did so I guess that's the one that will be the one that gets posted.
Bummer, because I wanted to show what a handful it was, oh well!

It's going to need a new motor and lots of work so the cost and time is not worth it to me. Onward and upward!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Unregistered User
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I was thinking the same thing this morning, Big Jim.
I flew the CUb, then a little Corsair, then the Bixler and Focke-Wulf, and then the Dynam T-28.

I loaded a 2nd battery into the Cub and as she gracefully ROG'd I thought, "Is there a better, more relaxing plane to fly?"

Sure, the Bix glides far and high and soars around, but the Cub is just so docile, light-of-wing and predictable (much like our Champs).

Driving home, I thought about all of my crashes -- I realized that many crashes were fixed a few days later, but I always seem to be compelled to fix that Cub as soon as I damage it.
Even if it means driving the 17 miles to the LHS as soon as I'm finished flying -- with aching, throbbing knees and wrenched leg muscles from the arthritic pain.

When the Cub's been down -- so am I & when the Cub is looking good and flying great, I feel great as well.

If I had to throw all but one of my planes away, I know the Cub would be the plane that stayed.
Mac
Fever, what fever?

I'm not addicted to the Super Cub, just because I'm getting floats, and a few spare parts, well maybe a lot of spare parts cause I wouldn't want it to be down, watching non stop vids over on the SC thread, thinking about buying a back-up SC just in case, and oh yea, taking it to bed with me.

Addicted? Who me? I can stop anytime.

Gotta go check the Cub.

Bowsonn
bowsonn is offline Find More Posts by bowsonn
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:36 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Dont roll over on it...
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Dont roll over on it...

I'll put a pillow an each side of her.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:54 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I've actually placed my Cub next to the TV set so I could have something nice to look at during NFL games while the commercials run.

I also did this with my Dynam T-28 and my Airfield Cessna as well.

I'm a sick puppy.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:59 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Maidened the new Wildcat yest. evening at sunset. What a great flying plane! No bad tendencies at slow or high speeds. Got her on the ground safe and then it was dark. Just one flight and now I'm at work until Tue. Still too windy here for the S.E.5a maiden.

Blu, really bummed out for ya man. you know you'll get it fixed, you always do.
That plane looks like a challenge to fly but we know you'll figure out a way to tame it.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:15 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I've actually placed my Cub next to the TV set so I could have something nice to look at during NFL games while the commercials run.

I also did this with my Dynam T-28 and my Airfield Cessna as well.

I'm a sick puppy.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Bowsonn
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,935 Posts
I have actually gotten up and went to check on my planes, like they were kids or something. ahahahahah.
Blue, I know how ya feel. I have just about gave up on my UM Corsair. Just can't seem to tame her either. But, the guys and all would make a nice "different" plane. Just have to decide on what. haha.
Miss Tina and I have been watchin a lot of scary movies lately. We just got done watchin "Insidious". Then I went out and flew till dark. Now I am waiting on her to call me to watch "cowboy vs aliens." haha. I went for soooo long without watching TV. Kinda nice to just stare at the tube again.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsonn View Post
Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Bowsonn
D*** Straight!

No dain bramage on this thread, No Siree!!!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Blue, I know how ya feel. I have just about gave up on my UM Corsair. Just can't seem to tame her either.

Now I am waiting on her to call me to watch "cowboy vs aliens." haha.
Lee
Lee,
When I started the UM F4U Corsair Owner's Thread, the first thing I did was post the "Mac's Bad Corsair Dime Mod".
Before you give-up on the Corsair, pop her open and glue a dime in the bottom of the nose. I used a 6mm hex nut (or 1/2") because it weighed about the same as a dime.

About 50% of the Corsairs came outa China with a tail-heavy condition. Even some dudes who had the CG exact still had handling probs. Once they did the famous "Mac's Bad Corsair Dime Mod" they tamed the beast and the Corsair became their favorite UM!
In fact, I blew the dust off mine today and had a flight with my UM F4U and it was just a gas, man!!!!
So try that before you hang up the Corsair!

I saw "Cowboys and Aliens" last week and it was GREAT!

Here's the dime mod vid, BTW.
There are a lotta guys who balked at this mod, saying USEFUL WEIGHT is BETTER! Put a bigger lipo in. But I found that the weight needed to be under the cowl - not the LE.
Also, in this video I used a penny, but later found that the lighter Dime was the perfect weight.
UM F4U Corsair CG Adjustment (7 min 58 sec)