SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:56 AM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
Yea.. Nice bass Troutbum.

lmao

Fishy... sometimes I wonder about you....
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:57 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
TroutWhisperer. I love it!

Why am I picturing Billy Bass talking to Tony Soprano?
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
Morning gents. Stayed up late watching "Bones" episodes with Miss Tina. Man, is that show nasty are what? Loved it. TV has come a long way since I used to watch it. ahaha
Looks like my days plans are altered just a bid. Have to go to my Mom and Dad's and clean out the gutters for em. haha. I am gonna take my big corsair and cessna with me. My new flying field is on the way home. It is a Church. So, hopefully I will have access between services. Have a great one. Oh, nice flying with that wing Ridge.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Thanks, Viper!
I think I'll just solder-up my own.

Hey Guys!
I know I share with many of you the admiration for the T-28. Well, this guy took the T-28 a step further and went EDF! It flies awesome!

Check out the vertical and also the incredible flight characteristics of this great design:

NEAT!
Thats cool! People think up all kinds of stuff.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
TB ya ought to swing by my place. We have world renownd trout water just 15 miles from my front door. The south fork of the Boise river, we get match the hatch water floggers from around the world.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
TB ya ought to swing by my place. We have world renownd trout water just 15 miles from my front door. The south fork of the Boise river, we get match the hatch water floggers from around the world.
I know you have good bass in Idaho too, because at the end of the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" he says, "I caught you a delicious bass..."

HA HA HA!

Speaking of movies and Lee watching TV, last night I used "On Demand" and rented "Cowboys and Aliens". That movie is incredible! Violent, with lots of incredible special effects. When aliens land in the post-Civil War west and start killing cowboys and Indians too.

The aliens had cool attack ships with multiple wings....I kept thinking they would make an AWESOME RC plane or jet.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Lil Help for all here with battery 101

Found this post awhile back and thought it would help some in this thread doing serious plane and ESC burning mods.

Just to get the units right
1000mAh = 1Amp.hour (Ah) capacity i.e. it will deliver 1A for an hour or 10A for 6 minutes (1/10 hour) etc.

In simple terms higher voltage, e.g. higher "S", means more power at the motor.
Higher capacity (mAh) means longer flights.
Higher C-rating means it is possible to drag more power out but at the expense of less flight time. E.g. a 20C battery used to its full current capabilities runs the motor for 60/20 = 3 minutes, a 30C battery at full current runs for only 60/30 = 2 minutes.
Fish this may help you get the math right for a expected LVC but remember with no load figured in your times will be shorter. Mac this may give you the expected performance of two batteries.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:12 AM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
One sweat looking Bass
More a Striper. but lets ask, this question did you C.P.R? if not sure what that means, just ask.
The first one is a Brown Trout (Salmo Trutta) and second is a Rainbow. (Oncorhynchus Mykiss). Both caught in the same stream about a mile apart.

Yes, Fish, I ALWAYS Catch, Photo and Release. I haven't killed a trout in 20 years or more.

Thumper, Idaho is on my bucket list as is most of the Rocky Mountain states. Then there's Labrador, New Zealand, Scotland, Chile... The list could go on forever. But olthump's and Mac's saltwater species in the winter is VERY appealing. I simply don't like winter anymore.

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
I used to think of batts like plumbing. MAH= volume of water in bucket. C=size of pipe from bucket. That kinda stuff. haha. Helped a lamen like me for a year or two, untill I could catch up. ahahaha. Lee
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Or

mAh = amount of energy in said person.
C = strength of that said person/amount of energy they can expend at one moment.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
More of what I know, to help others

I have read a few post her that lead me to believe that some of us here are not sure what a CG is or how to find it. Some here write as if the CG is a movable point on the plane that can be solved with trim. I hope this bit of info clears it up. Now I am no pro but have now built 3 scratch aircraft one with no plans and of my design.

Correctly balancing rc airplanes is so important for safe flying, because any deviation from the model's Centre of Gravity (CG) can potentially result in the model being quite uncontrollable.

Every rc airplane (and all other aircraft) has a specific CG position, it's the mean point where all gravitational forces act upon the plane and hence the point where the model balances fore-aft correctly. You can liken a plane's Centre of Gravity to the fulcrum of a see-saw, for example. The CG point is determined during the design stage of the airplane or aircraft and is typically shown on a plan as a disc split in to four quadrants,

If you've built from a kit & plan the CG should be clearly marked on the plan but if you've bought an ARF or RTF plane then the instruction manual will likely give the CG position in terms of distance back from either the leading edge of the wing or from the nose.
Incidentally some model aircraft manufacturers specify a range that the Centre of Gravity can fall in to, rather than a single point. If you're unlucky the manual might not even mention anything about balancing rc airplanes and the CG!

Balancing an rc airplane correctly about its Centre of Gravity is so important because a very badly balanced rc airplane will, at best, be hard to control, this is especially true for tail-heavy planes. At worst, the plane will crash within seconds of getting airborne.

How to find it if you made it

One theory is that all aircraft should balance at a point defined as 25% of the Mean Aerodynamic Chord, with no consideration given to tail area or moment arm. For the scale model RC airplane, I prefer to take these facts into consideration.

When designing a scale model we do not have the ability to change dimensions or ratios-we are restricted by our wish to build an accurate reproduction of the full size.

The formula I have used, came from a book written a few years ago by Gordon Whitehead titled "Radio Control Scale Aircraft Models for Everyday Flying" ( A great book that every scale modeler should own)

Here is the formula- CG POSITION = MAC/6+(3 X TAIL AREA X TAIL MOMENT ARM ) / 8 X WING AREA. Note that the Moment Arm is defined as the distance from the 25% MAC of the wing to the 25% MAC of the tailplane.

I hope this helps not my thoughts just the Info I used to find sucsess
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:46 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
Hey Thump, I just did some wind surfing myself. I was trying to discharge my hyp's for storage. First I flew the UM Stang. Then the Champ. I did not get it on video, but, I was going backwards dang near half the time. ahahaha. Heck, I don't usually enjoy doing this anymore. But I havn't flown in days and kinda got a kick out of it. Woothoo. As you were. Lee
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Hey Thump, I just did some wind surfing myself. I was trying to discharge my hyp's for storage. First I flew the UM Stang. Then the Champ. I did not get it on video, but, I was going backwards dang near half the time. ahahaha. Heck, I don't usually enjoy doing this anymore. But I havn't flown in days and kinda got a kick out of it. Woothoo. As you were. Lee
I hear ya, I get out in the big wind once or twice a month. Just to remind myself I don't have it all masterd yet. The flight yesterday did have R and D implications. The desinger said it was good in the wind so I had to find out how much lol I found out
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Here is a link to a CG calc that Ridge gave me.
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm
If ya have nothing else going on take your Champ or Bixler and throw some measurements and see if you come up with the manufactures distances fo CG this will make your planes fly well when you do mods or hang camera ETC.
No guess work or praying Blue just straight math lol
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
The first one is a Brown Trout (Salmo Trutta) and second is a Rainbow. (Oncorhynchus Mykiss). Both caught in the same stream about a mile apart.

Yes, Fish, I ALWAYS Catch, Photo and Release. I haven't killed a trout in 20 years or more.

Thumper, Idaho is on my bucket list as is most of the Rocky Mountain states. Then there's Labrador, New Zealand, Scotland, Chile... The list could go on forever. But olthump's and Mac's saltwater species in the winter is VERY appealing. I simply don't like winter anymore.

Troutbum
good laugh I hear ya, of all my fishing back home I as well the same. even though they look simu;lar.

Rainbow trout yum yum

Weak fish, a delicate touch bout for the guys here they are a porgie person, they are the easiest t o catch, while topog or black fish . enoug hsaid
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)