Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
I was thinking of something similar, but am wondering how I will get the perfect shape. I just made three different wheels in different ways just now. Will see how they turn out in the morn and report back. Thanks ridge!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
Does it set up by just letting it air dry...how dense is it?

Wondering if you could mold a fuselage with it..

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:34 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
If I ever become marooned on a deserted island I want all you talented guys there too. Within a week we would probably have a boat built and work would be started on an airplane too!
Blu
Haha, like 'The Flight of The Phoenix'. I have a feeling we would be just alright marooned on an island.

And Astro, from the looks of the packaging I assume you can only get that stuff in Canada? And if it is dense enough, like our micro wheels, Im sure it would be a perferct molding material for an extremely light fuse.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:26 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Cleaned the tracks on the AR6400L brick for the rudder servo...and also adjusted the sliding contacts so they would apply more down pressure on the tracks.

Then sat with the brick in my hand and operated the rudder servo for 15 min..back and forth...slowly one direction then the other...it hasn't got stuck yet.

I did notice on the tracks it looks like a crack was on the pcb and then the material that makes up the tracks was laid over the defect...kinda filling it in.

Was thinking that this is what is causing the servo to stick here and there.
This "defect" was on there at time of mfr or else the track material would not be laid over it...but this brick came out of a 4 site almost a year ago and i doubt horizon hobby would replace the brick now...

It doesn't seem to lock up like i said,but coming off full right rudder it has a very very slight delay just before it reaches center...like 1 mm before center.

I have reduced the overall servo travel so i don't over run it and even tried using sub trim to move the center location...but it would still have that slight delay just before returning to center.

Really want to use this brick in the champ and i might put it back in the champ and see how it does.

Ridgewalker
How much would a new brick set you back? It might cost some money but it would save your patience. Seems like its giving you some grief...

But on the topic of the champ, I just bought a bnf for $50. Should be here by thursday or friday since the seller lives down in southern maryland..wohoo!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
Rather not have other things to get.

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:11 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
I saw in the micro classifieds 3 bare champ fuses for 35 total, if you want to go that route. Im sure you could get rid of the other 2
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:31 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
@Ridge, so does that mean it's not the servo's fault? I'm a little confused. Basically it doesn't return to the center fast enough? Man, I hope it works out for you!

I think GJO is right, those fuses are a great deal!

BTW, why not at least try giving HH a call, if not replace, they may know what's wrong with it. Who knows, I think it's worth a shot.

---

With regards to the clay, it looks like it's taking a long time to dry. Probably takes a day or something to dry properly. I'll see how it hardens, and what potential applications it has. Making a fuse may be tough though.

GJO, I don't think this is only available in Canada. It's Canadian packaging, but I'm sure it's available there too.

If it works, maybe I can send you guys some.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Alright guys, I finished the first set of wheels. I think I could have let them dry a little more, but I got too impatient

Anyways, some pictures are attached. You guys will never believe how light these turned out even with paint. Although it's hard to tell, I'm almost certain they are lighter than the stock Champ wheels.

I don't have a precision scale, but I'd guess about 0.3 grams.
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 24, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
How stiff are they

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
Ridgewalker
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Hmm good luck Ridge with HH, please let us know.

The wheels are quite stiff, I don't know how to measure lol. They are a pretty much just like the stock wheels in terms of stiffness - maybe slightly less.

I have squished them all the way, and they keep the squished shape for a little while and start returning to normal. If you squish them a lot, then you have to help it out a tiny bit, but that's if you squish them all the way flat. You could almost say they have shape memory, no matter what they will naturally retain the shape you initially gave them.

It's actually kind of cool as they have a slight bounce to them unlike some stiff wheels. Perhaps they will produce some smoother landings with more shock absorption. I'll make another set to try on my Champ.

Good luck with that brick Ridge!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
The gears are turning!

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:03 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Hey!

Ya it does seem useful, sounds like some cool applications. I get what you mean by that, but the thing is it's only one piece of foam

I think that's what you mean. I just painted the whole thing black, then painted a white circle. Do you think that's two pieces, or were you thinking of something else?

Sorry if I misunderstand. Let me know if you need some of this stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can find it locally there too.

I remember it used to be called model magic, this one is called magic clay. I also think a company named Fimo makes it too, probably better quality.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,856 Posts
Like a paint can....only much smaller..lol

Ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:49 PM.