HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,180 Posts
I think it is .025 carbon fibre rod. But I can't remember if it is MM or inches. haha. I am wore out. Been working hard long days. I slept till 10am this morning. That is highly unusual for me. The front steering wheel on a t-28 is a plastic mechanisim connected to the rudder servo in the forward of the three holes. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Astro, check out nightflyyer on youtube. He does aan in depth review of the T28 and he opens her up and shows you everything inside. The front steering is pretty ingenious. And you nailed it when it comes to the servo as far as steering goes. I'm assuming that's the way it is on all planes. Rudder servo controls front steering too. Which I guess is why rudder servos strip.

And thanks blu! I can't wait till 6 to get her back up...and upside down. Its dead still but blazingly hot. Mosquitos should be out in force again
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:01 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
First, CONGRATS to GEOFF!
I love welcoming another T-28'er to the fold. I swear it's my favorite plane and I want more of 'em!

The Champ is fun and reliable, but the T-28 combined some additional aileron fun with ample low-wing dihedral stability (more evident in-flight rather than stationary) so you have even more fun and some awesome control.

Astronut: you did good on that "T" attempt. Just remember that she's a chubby girl! But impressive just the same!

I am going more with a profile build T-28. But I had so many repairs to do on my other planes that I didn't get to the foam. I'm doubling-up the walls with 2x3mm foam and making a curved top and under-nose area. It'll only be about 3" wide on the inside, so I can easily fit a brushless motor and ESC.
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:23 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Thankss Mac, she sure is a ton of fun. She needs some fine tuning with a computer radio, so I guess that's the next step!

The one thing I need to do is move the control rod on the elevator up a hole, maybe two to make it level and then I can have my trims even.

I can't wait until 6 so I can put at least 4 more paccks through her and not put her into the ground!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks Mac!

Man that's going to be one big T-28! It's twice the length and inside width of mine. Mine is 13" long, has a 1.5" inside width, and 17" wingspan. Currently painting it
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
Thanks Mac!

Man that's going to be one big T-28! It's twice the length and inside width of mine. Mine is 13" long, has a 1.5" inside width, and 17" wingspan. Currently painting it
Well, that's because I have extra Airfield 800mm warbird motors, a 20amp ESC and some 9-gram servos, so I decided to add about 40% more width and length to her to accommodate the available power. But I also want to do some major gliding and wind surfing, so I'm making her as light as possible.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:52 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Maidened the T-45 earlier. Ended up flying 5 packs total. Very stable, needed only 2 clicks down elevator. It was unbelievably easy to fly. Rcspeedo says top speed around 65-70 on 3S, I expect to get close to 80 on 4S.

Wingspan is only 23" on it, easier to fly than my P-47, super agile. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a jet.
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:55 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Sounds cool Mac! Man the T-28 is way harder to build than I had ever imagined. I sure wish I had a model in front of me

I can't wait to see how off I am with my scratch built when I get the real one haha

Anyways, I'm not done yet, but here's a snap of it:
Last edited by astronaut; Jun 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:16 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
Sounds cool Mac! Man the T-28 is way harder to build than I had ever imagined. I sure wish I had a model in front of me

I can't wait to see how off I am with my scratch built when I get the real one haha

Anyways, I'm not done yet, but here's a snap of it:
Fly that puppy Astro!
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:24 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Man, I wish I could! I sometimes feel like taking apart my Champ, but it won't even work in this case since I need 4 Ch...

Anyhow, I don't want to take it apart anyways. I really like my Champ, and will never forget that it was the gateway in to the hobby for me. I will keep it for as long as possible.

Oh well, thanks Blu!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:36 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Flew another four packs today on a cool, cloudy evening. The fun keeps piling up! I think I flew inverted more then normal flying haha.

I definetly need to move that elevator control rod. But the control horns are so fragile! Mac, have you had to move them before? Is there a method behind it?

As long as the parking lot is clear Im going to try some real landings at the school. But what wont be until thursday
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:20 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
Flew another four packs today on a cool, cloudy evening. The fun keeps piling up! I think I flew inverted more then normal flying haha.

I definetly need to move that elevator control rod. But the control horns are so fragile! Mac, have you had to move them before? Is there a method behind it?

As long as the parking lot is clear Im going to try some real landings at the school. But what wont be until thursday
No, I haven't had to move the rod, but the secret is to twist the horn - not the wire when changing holes. The horn is pretty flexible, but you might want to hold the base with needlenose pliers to keep it from tearing out if you twist too much.

You can't squeeze the loop any further?
Or is it up elevator that you need?
Sometimes I solve these issues with a bit of weight. My T-28, Corsair, P-51 and even 1 Champ - all have small weights placed as needed. Normally it's just a small 3-4mm washer, but the Corsair has a dime under the cowl (2.2 grams) and the P-51 has a 6mm nut glued inside her nose.

@AstroNut:
Awesome paint job, bro!
That T looks ready to go.
Very nice!

Put a WANTED ad in the Classifieds here. Explain that you are a student and new to the hobby and need a donated AR6400 rx. Maybe offer to pay shipping? There are a ton of generous hobbyists on these forums. Someone might have a junked PZ UM gathering dust.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:40 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Thanks Mac! That's a good idea, but I'd feel a little awkward asking like that

I already have an AR6400 somewhere in the mail which I traded for my AR500. That should take care of one plane.

Maybe I can trade for my scratch built Champ lol ... I wonder if it has any value

Thanks for the idea though Mac, you're a great friend!

---

I can't believe you thought the paint job was good Well that means a lot coming from a professional painter! Thanks!

---

BTW, where is Ridge?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,951 Posts
GJOsik...
Happy to hear you got your T-28!!!!
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Hey Ridge! Blu here. I'm sorry I didn't reach out tonight for some Phoenix sim time but I got home and the wife and I shared a rather large bottle of Pinot Gregio, burp, and a nice dinner and one thing lead to another so the only flying tonight will not be on a computer . Rain check buddy?
Blu
LOL!!

Hope you had a good flight!!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Aug 17, 2012 at 01:12 PM.