HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
[..
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut View Post
Absolutely excellent plans and build log can be found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852575

It is a really cool looking plane. Of all the HH planes, I absolutely love the way the Sbach looks, and found this to come closest to it.

My airfoil is nothing special, just straight foam. $tree 4mm foam, each wing has a bamboo skewer embedded inside. Pretty sturdy, but only time will really tell.

I couldn't get the blue foam again, but I will pick up the pink foam soon. I want to make proper wings by using a hotwire to carve out perfect airfoils, the pink foam should work well for that.
That's what i was thinking when you posted the pic...reminds me of the Sbach.
Thanks for the link,will give it some thought.
I've watched some videos on cutting wings with a bow and it looks like having a template on the ends for the bow to ride on is how they do it.
Also would go through a bit foam practicing...have a pile of rejects.

Just a waiting game for you now till you order arrives!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thanks RTF...

if those Buggers are gone I have a bettertime.

I will pick it up super fast. the palne does a great job. as all said. More attention than the champ. I will ride this badboy as far as I can go. there is a break in the storm, should I fly? ha ha ha

deffently can get a flight in front LOL, nah too wet.
Maybe you will get a calm spell if the eye passes right overhead.

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
932 Posts
Quote:
Ya, wondering where Brad and Mac are. Wouldn't Internet still work through phone even if the hurricane hit? I mean, it won't damage the satellites...best of luck my friends, everything will be fine.

---

Fishy, that T-28 is really cool! Wish I had a plane which flew like that. Very agile and sleek. Hopefully one of my scratch builds will end up matching your plane, but I haven't been too lucky so far. Pretty thick fog too. It was really foggy this AM here as well, visibility must have about 60m tops, that too not very clear.

---

Here's a snap of my painted Cassutt. I liked this colour scheme:

And here's my simple imitation of it. Will add more detail once I can verify if it flies or not. Some glued parts settled weird, and my plane is not perfectly symmetrical. Don't know if it will drastically hinder flight characteristics, but with every build I learn a lot of new things.

Have fun guys!
Great job on the build Astro. That thing is going to be CRAZY

ACROBATIC! Put alot of throw in your control surfaces and you'll be able to

dance that thing around the sky.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:38 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
The Champ with the bigger battery absolutely gives the Champ a real scale feel and improved authority in all aspects. I like the less floaty feel and the landings are a little faster and smoother. Daddy Likes
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:42 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Ya, wondering where Brad and Mac are. Wouldn't Internet still work through phone even if the hurricane hit? I mean, it won't damage the satellites...best of luck my friends, everything will be fine.

---

Fishy, that T-28 is really cool! Wish I had a plane which flew like that. Very agile and sleek. Hopefully one of my scratch builds will end up matching your plane, but I haven't been too lucky so far. Pretty thick fog too. It was really foggy this AM here as well, visibility must have about 60m tops, that too not very clear.

---

Here's a snap of my painted Cassutt. I liked this colour scheme:

And here's my simple imitation of it. Will add more detail once I can verify if it flies or not. Some glued parts settled weird, and my plane is not perfectly symmetrical. Don't know if it will drastically hinder flight characteristics, but with every build I learn a lot of new things.

Have fun guys!
Astro that looks great cant wait to see it fly, Hope it goes as well as Ridgewalkers Champ went. You two have mad building skills
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
That's what i was thinking when you posted the pic...reminds me of the Sbach.
Thanks for the link,will give it some thought.
I've watched some videos on cutting wings with a bow and it looks like having a template on the ends for the bow to ride on is how they do it.
Also would go through a bit foam practicing...have a pile of rejects.

Just a waiting game for you now till you order arrives!

Ridgewalker
Ya, cutting wings should be fun. I'm looking for some cheap power tools in the local classifieds, may be able to grab a scoll saw and belt/disc sander soon. I desperately need them. I can use the scroll saw to cut out templates for the airfoil too.

For some reason, I am ALWAYS playing the waiting game. Over the years, I've really learned to be patient because of the Chinese mailing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibard View Post
Great job on the build Astro. That thing is going to be CRAZY

ACROBATIC! Put alot of throw in your control surfaces and you'll be able to

dance that thing around the sky.
Thanks! Ya, I have tonnes of throw for it. But I will start off with little throw to just buzz it around and get used to it. If it flies, not only will it be my first time on a 4CH airplane, but a plane like the Sbach is super acrobatic and could be a little hard to control.

I practice on the sim though, hopefully it helps.

Thanks again!

---

Thanks Thumper!!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:26 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,982 Posts
Jug maiden and the search for Spock

I had a great mourning today. Maidened the Jug and started the aerial camcorder search for my lost T-28.

I never realized how really cool these keychain cams are. You pros inspired me and now I'm hooked. My 1st try last week was pretty shakey and my Champ was all over the place until I finally piloted it into a little bit of control.

I re-balanced things and today it was awesome. The Champ makes a fantastic aerial platform. I took lots of video over the college where I lost the big T but on a quick look nothing popped out. Now I'm going to go over it very carefully and who knows I might get lucky

The new Jug survive it's maiden and 2 more afterwards, yaaaaa!

Hope you guys on east coast get thru this storm ok. Earth quakes and hurricanes, you guys must have pissed off the big guy upstairs.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Glad to hear your maiden went well!

These little key chain cams sure are fun,find a spot on your bike to mount it, and go for a ride on some nice roads...the video would be awesome!

Post up the search videos and maybe we can help you look for it.

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
..... .
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:33 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Contrad's Blu.
all this Mother nature stuff Is Tieing me out sitting here lol.

Placing hte 808, I find it ricky later on. after the plane has its bruises etc. wih the 500 mha and 80, I get he cam on and I cannot fly it , must pull off to get correctflight. possably I have it out of whack. later in this Hurricaine I'll try again, nah. My ball and chain is on.
Fishy, I used a Hyperion 160 and my velcro'ed foam wedge for a camera mount and the Champ would float fantastically . It was almost hard to get her down!
Blu
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
932 Posts
So glad to hear the maiden went well Blu. Congrats on a successful new plane! I really felt bad for ya for losing the big T but it happens sometimes. Happened to me a long time ago with a .60 gas Mustang in the woods across from our flying club runway, and it was winter! No leaves on the trees and still never found it. I was using the same transmitter on a few different planes and back then you had 4 switches on the bottom on the tx to reverse the servos if needed. I DID NOT do a pre flight check and took off with the ailerons reversed. I moved the stick to the right after take off which rolled the plane left. Tried to get it turned and up and as it was comming back across it went off into the woods, never to be seen again. . I feel your pain bro.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
[q.........
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 20, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:32 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,982 Posts
Thanks Jim. I now know how you must have felt, but your loss was even more painful because you put all that love in building your Mustang! It's so weird how a plane disappears never to be seen again, like a sock in the dryer.

I'm working on the video now but it's not too exciting guys as I was pretty cautious as to be expected with my maiden history !

Blu
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,982 Posts
If you guys want I'll post my search video but it's pretty much just flying over the college, nothing too exciting.
Blu