HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
283 Posts
Contest
SC2 2-Day Man-On-Man Contest at SULA Field June 25 & 26

Soaring Union of Los Angeles (SULA) is hosting a 2 day MOM contest at their field in San Pedro, CA. Format for contest is two independent days of MOM on Saturday and Sunday with an overall declared winner based on points from both days. There will be 4 rounds of flying each day-- 8, 10, 12 and 8 minute rounds. For field details and more information on the contest go to:

sc2soaring.com

Terry Throop
Contest Director
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Last edited by TThroop; Jun 21, 2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: More details
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
(LITTLE TOM)....
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2005
344 Posts
cool can't wate
ttoomm is offline Find More Posts by ttoomm
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,769 Posts
I 2nd that... cant wait.
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:29 AM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
I sure wish this had been scheduled on a different date...as I pointed out months ago, this conflicts with the SVSS Soaring Challenge (an established contest long held on the last weekend in June).

Going to Sacramento, along with a couple other SoCal regulars who would have otherwise flown in this contest.

Tom
Hoping the next SC2 two-day is not held the weekend of Visalia...
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:52 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,524 Posts
I echo all of Tom's comments. It is bad form to compete with each other.

Kudos for holding a MOM contest. I would have really liked to have joined.

David from Sacramento
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
I think this was the only date we could get for this event. I think there will be plenty locals who want to come out and fly with us. If it goes well we can plan next years event for no conflicts.

Plush grass to land on! Easy to get to location! Come on out and play!
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:37 AM
Let's find some thermals!
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
890 Posts
Conflict?, I don't see one. Only a select few pilots travel 500+ miles to a contest. flyers that want to go to SVSS will go there others that might want to check out another format will come to the SC2. There only so many days in spring/summer for scheduling.

I won't fly the event, will be attending another f3x contest. I'll more than likely show up to take some pictures and walk the pits as my event doesn't start till later in the day.

Happy to see the MoM format in TD.
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:03 AM
LSF V aspirant
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspb View Post
Conflict?, I don't see one. Only a select few pilots travel 500+ miles to a contest.
I guess that's why there are only 200 pilots at Visalia or 120 at the SWC. The SC2 organization is looking for more participation (TD around here is dying...and for good reason). The "few" that are going from SoCal would ALL have flown this contest because they are all part of the crowd that has been asking for more MoM from SC2. It is bad form to conflict with known, established majors within a half-days' drive.

So there's no need to look over our own fence? Lame.

Tom
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
283 Posts
Problems with Scheduling Contests

The biggest problem with trying to schedule contests in the Southern California area has to do with our biggest nemesis, soccer. The fields big enough are soccer fields, so we have to schedule around their season to use their fields. To be able to run a two day contest means we have to run the contest in their offseason and when the fields are not being renovated for the next season. That means the only time that we have available for the contest is June. Now we have to contend with additional constraints.

Tom, would you have attended the contest if we had the contest on Father's day weekend?

We are trying to make the contest available for the largest audience within the time and field constraints that we have to work with. Any other viable suggestions would be appreciated and entertained.

Terry Throop
Contest Director for 2-Day SULA MOM
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Let's find some thermals!
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
I guess that's why there are only 200 pilots at Visalia or 120 at the SWC. The SC2 organization is looking for more participation (TD around here is dying...and for good reason).

Tom
So out of 120 or 200 pilots there are 2 that feel the need to post "why did you do this?" Posts on a contest announcement thread? That's lame.

Contest fall out of fashion when people get driven away.
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
I guess that's why there are only 200 pilots at Visalia or 120 at the SWC. The SC2 organization is looking for more participation (TD around here is dying...and for good reason). The "few" that are going from SoCal would ALL have flown this contest because they are all part of the crowd that has been asking for more MoM from SC2. It is bad form to conflict with known, established majors within a half-days' drive.

Tom
Lame??????? I gues you will never be happy. Lets all do what this guys want's when ever he wants it. The only reason TD is dying is because all the elitists are driving everyone away with their holier than thou attitudes.

I'm happy we are having this event, turnout should be great, the weather should be great. And I think attitudes will be great.

We'll let you know if things turn "lame"
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspb View Post
So out of 120 or 200 pilots there are 2 that feel the need to post "why did you do this?" Posts on a contest announcement thread? That's lame.

Contest fall out of fashion when people get driven away.
here here
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:48 PM
LSF V aspirant
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Lets all do what this guys want's when ever he wants it. The only reason TD is dying is because all the elitists are driving everyone away with their holier than thou attitudes.
Calm down...that is not my intent. The reason I'm venting here is that I've seen what happens in the long term (through competitive handgun shooting in SoCal in the 1990s) when overlaps like this become the norm. Both of these are going to be great contests and some of us are forced to choose. As one of the pilots asking for SC2 MoM contests to put some real competition back into soaring, I will truly miss the opportunity to fly in this contest. It's the attitude that "if it's not just across town, it's not a conflict" that is a bit frustrating.

I get the field scheduling issue.

Tom
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,065 Posts
Sounds like the conflict is just because of field availability. It is unfortunate that there is a conflict, but these things happen. I use to be the contest coordinator for the Eastern Soaring League for many years. For TD events the only contest outside the League that we accounted for was the NATS. Big events like Visalia were never even on our radar. We also didn't take into account contests in Ohio or Illinois (some within a half day drive for some of our members). This wasn't because we didn't want to, but it was because it was too difficult to balance all the contests with the limited number of weekends. We did have cases where one club in the league only had their field available on a date traditionally used by another club. In these cases, the club with the traditional date was flexible and accommodated the club with the hard constraint on the fields availability.

So, is the SVSS MoM format? I was under the impression that it wasn't.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:57 PM
LSF V aspirant
Joined Oct 2006
2,411 Posts
No, not MoM. Rather like a two-day SC2 attendance-level contest. The draw is the tasks - except for the first round each morning, all 10-minute flights (and we'll probably get nine rounds in). You generally don't find that around here any more. It's a great field with sometimes challenging conditions, plus the opportunity to fly with people we don't see all the time.

As you said, unfortunate circumstances. This is probably the premier SC2 contest for the year.

Tom