HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
Discussion
EMB-120 Brasilia

Building an EMB-120 Brasilia. Working on the nacelles and building the wing now. Also trying to figure out the retracts. Lots of parts and pieces on order right now so hopefully some progress in the next few weeks.

My main problem right now that has me hung up is that I cannot find 4 blade props that are the right size. I bought some GWS 1080 10x8 4 blades but they are a little too big. Does anyone know of an 8" diameter 4 blade prop? I have searched all over the internet and haven't found anything?

Also this is my first scratch build. Hope it turns out ok! If it does I see a much larger EMB-145 in the future...

jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Last edited by jdlilfan; Feb 03, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
More progress. Vertical and horizontal stab is nearly finished. Servos have been installed, position lighting has been installed, and everything is hinged. Now it just needs to be rigged. Wing form has been roughly cut. Control surfaces have been cut as well. Wing box is being designed and fabricated at the same time. The nacelles are also being framed and I am working on trying to fabricate a decent motor mount. The nacelles area little tough due to their curvy shapes. Ordered a servoless retract for the nose, not sure what I will use for the main gear? I may use a set of mechanical gear for them. Also I might redo the nose bulkheads, they don't quite have the round shape I was going for.

Still looking for some 4 blade props, I may try to make something out of two- GWS two blade props and cut out a spinner.

Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
Ok, some more progress made the past month. Unfortunately progress has stalled as of late because I haven't had any days off and I am in the middle of a move.

Here is the latest progress:

1. Servo -less retracts going in. Main gear has been fabircated and installed in the nacelles.

2. Nacelles are roughly done. Need another bulkhead for re-inforcement and then skinned. The rear part of the nacelle still needs to be fabricated. The real aircraft incorporates the rear of the nacelle as part of the flap but I have found that with this model it would complicate the build too much.

3. Tower Pro motors installed as well as my J-power 20amp ESC's.

4. Servo placement cuts were made in the wing for control surfaces.

5. Lights and the associated wiring was installed on the wings and most of the fuselage.

6. Wings were attached to the aircraft and a wing box was fabricated. Gorilla glue and carbon fiber was installed/used to strengthen the wing root.

-My United Express/Skywest Emb-120 model is pictured below.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:16 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,304 Posts
A guy had a build log here for a plane that used 5 bladed props and he made them by cutting one blade off conventional 2 blade ones, and screwing the resulting blade/hub units to a ply disc which was than covered by a scratch built spinner.
The final product looked great.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2006
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post

1. Servo -less retracts going in. Main gear has been fabircated and installed in the nacelles.

I love this airplane, and your build is looking great. How did you make your dual wheel landing gear struts? I need to make a set for my build.

Thanks,

Greg
cap10jaf is offline Find More Posts by cap10jaf
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
To make my retracts, I bought the servo-less ones from HobbyKing with the struts attached. The nose retract is a chang-sun brand with steerable nose wheel (purple case).

I then went to my LHS with my 3 view plan and bought some sets of wheels that were close to scale with my plane. I also bought an aluminum tube and some carbon fiber rods.

I cut the struts from my servoless retracts down to the size that I wanted, then cut the aluminum tube down to the length that I wanted. I crimped one side of the aluminum tube, and drilled a hole of the diameter of the carbon rod through the crimp. I clipped my carbon rod down to the size of an axle. I also had to drill out my wheels a little to fit the carbon rod. So the carbon rod went through the drilled hole and was glued into place. Then to keep the rod from moving I cut out two small foam donuts for each wheel and glued them down to the crimp/carbon rod. I used hot glue and gorilla glue. I then colored the donuts with a black sharpie marker, so they looked like the brake assembly. To keep the wheels from coming off the axle, I place to"dabs" of hot glue on either end of the carbon rod. They seem to hold up well so far.

I then glued my aluminum tube/wheel assembly to the servoless retract strut with gorilla glue.

Here is a rear view picture of the main gear to give you an idea of how this went together. I will use my dremel to shave off the excess gorilla glue that expanded.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Jun 2006
287 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to explain your solution.

I have to admit, I was wishing your reply was something easy like...

Order part XXX from website YYY!

It's hard to believe someone hasn't mass-produced an inexpensive dual strut yet.

There's a metal shop in my business complex, and the guy there thinks he can "T" weld an axle on a HobbyKing servoless retract strut. I question it, but maybe it's worth an attempt.

Thanks again for your time,

Greg D.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
HobbyKing has a dual strut in a set but I don't think it was the right scale. Also you would still have cut on it to adapt to a servoless retract.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4681

It wasn't that hard to build but an actual all metal CNC set would be sweet!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Jun 2006
287 Posts
Quote:
HobbyKing has a dual strut in a set but I don't think it was the right scale. Also you would still have cut on it to adapt to a servoless retract.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4681
I saw those before I ordered, but just now noticed that the mains can be set-up for dual struts. I should've bought a set. +

Oh well.

If this metal shop guy really can T-weld an axle it will be cheap and easy. I'll let you know how it works out.

GD
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
More progress has been made but not as much as I would have liked.

Airplane is about 75% skinned with 2mm depron. Wings are 85% skinned. All retracts installed. All servos are installed. Flaps are linked and programmed. Elevators and rudder and linked. Motors, ESC, and props installed. Receiver installed. All servo extensions ran and cleaned up. Light kit has been installed as well!

Now I'm stuck on the final middle section of the fuselage where the battery needs to go. I also want to be able to access the receiver as well. I can't seem to figure out a hatch for this? I cannot go through the bottom as supports have been made with extra foam, carbon fiber, and plywood for a strong wingbox. Any ideas would be appreciated?

All that is left is to skin the nacelles, add the ventral fins, paint the aircraft, print decals, link the ailerons, and add a few trim pieces!

Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
can i get a copy of those plans pls that would be very helpful
also how ig is yur emb 10 Brasilia ?? w/s length ? and also could you post a link ?
and in return ill put your name in the thread title and i'll put your name on the plane itself
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
and by the way subbed
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,976 Posts
You and me Both K! jdlilfan I love Your EMB-120! very nice little turbo-bird you have here!

Subbed-up!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
Length is 43". Wingspan is 41". Haven't weighed it yet. It has plenty of power but I worry if it has enough wing? It is a really high aspect ratio yet small wing. I also made this wing about 10% larger in span and chord. The actual EMB-120 has a pretty small efficient wing, hence why it is one of the faster pax turbo-props. I guess only the maiden will tell?

As for plans, I have none. I blew up a set of 3 views on blockposter.com and then printed them out. I then cut the paper out, laid it over the foam, and traced out the profiles.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,976 Posts
Quote:
Length is 43". Wingspan is 41". Haven't weighed it yet. It has plenty of power but I worry if it has enough wing? It is a really high aspect ratio yet small wing. I also made this wing about 10% larger in span and chord. The actual EMB-120 has a pretty small efficient wing, hence why it is one of the faster pax turbo-props. I guess only the maiden will tell?

As for plans, I have none. I blew up a set of 3 views on blockposter.com and then printed them out. I then cut the paper out, laid it over the foam, and traced out the profiles.
Jdlilfan your Brazilia Rocks! you may have to fly her with faps extended 10-20degs and fly her fast but if you keep the weight down you'll be fine!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member