Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Discussion
Death of a park. So sad.

It's finally happening. Huge yellow machines are tearing apart my flying field. When they're done there will be a four lane highway running through it. This being Massachussetts, completion date could be years from now.

My pals and I have spent the last couple of years flying there -- mornings, evenings, weekends. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. It's our home field -- without rights or ownership, mind you -- and now it's just about gone. We've had massive gatherings of planes, people, pets, families, onlookers, new members, old members who drift away.

We've known, for a long time, that this was coming. But what are you gonna do?

I'm so bummed. Yeah, I can fly at the AMA club, it's not even that far away, but it's just not the same thing. Nowhere near as convenient, or as friendly to small, light planes. I was there this evening. I took the five minute walk in. My Etana didn't get off the ground, it lost its landing gear three seconds into the takeoff run in the weeds by the runway. Five minute walk out.

I've turned into such a flying addict these last couple years. This is going to put a major kink in my flying routines. Just bummin'. So long, Mitre field, we hardly knew ya.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sorry, to hear it. something similar happened to me and my friends.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:06 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,802 Posts
My condolences, Rafe. And yes, because it's MA, it will be years and many tens of millions of dollars before the project even nears completion. Any other parks close by for you and your fellow flyers? I hope you can find some place else, and retain your ad hoc group.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:29 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,849 Posts
..there will be a four lane highway running through it...

Hey, look on the bright side, they're putting down a tarmac runway. That could have cost you a fortune.

Offer to do some aerial photography of the site as it progresses, in exchange for a little flying.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Yeah, we joked about the tarmac runways. Not sure when we'll see them. Meanwhile it's a zoo. Day One of the digging produced a 20' high mountain of dirt a few dozen feet from our runway. The field is hemmed in and divided by chain link fence and spiked with orange surveying stakes that have already met balsa and foam. We've been dodging and working around the construction crews for a week or two now but at some point soon they're going to kick us out, and/or we'll find ourselves locked out by the fence and gates.

Of late, every time we've gathered there, we wonder whether it's to be our last gathering.

There are schoolyards that will do for after-hours flying of small planes, but nothing like the field we just lost.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:22 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,033 Posts
Sorry to hear of the demise of your beloved field. There will be another, but I know in the cities, it is getting rough. My wife and i fly indoor mostly, and it is rough finding a place to fly for us also. I feel you pain. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
I know the feeling. We had a field like that years ago - it was an old landfill then. Now it's a giant shopping plaza. When we lost that field, we lost flying buddies as well.

We began flying at a club field. It's nice and we fly there every once in awhile, but it's wasn't the same. I finally spent some time with satellite images and found not one, but three new fields for us to use. Before the satellite search, I didn't even know these fields existed. We did a little polite asking and now have a great place to fly that is less than a mile from home.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
830 Posts
I live in MA and am curious where it is. Would you be able to tell us the location? Google Earth coordinates would be great.

I do agree that having a really close field is great. Fortunately, I live only about four miles from an AMA affiliated club field in Medfield.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocksKid View Post
I know the feeling. We had a field like that years ago - it was an old landfill then. Now it's a giant shopping plaza. When we lost that field, we lost flying buddies as well.

We began flying at a club field. It's nice and we fly there every once in awhile, but it's wasn't the same. I finally spent some time with satellite images and found not one, but three new fields for us to use. Before the satellite search, I didn't even know these fields existed. We did a little polite asking and now have a great place to fly that is less than a mile from home.

Google Maps rocks. I don't think we'll find a field quite as suitable for large gatherings, but meanwhile I've already located and... err.... tested one nearby site that I located with Google. It's only two or three acres, but large enough for light 3D planes and parkflyers.

Drive-bys don't always tell the story. Some nice fields are hidden from the main road.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
I live in MA and am curious where it is. Would you be able to tell us the location? Google Earth coordinates would be great.

I do agree that having a really close field is great. Fortunately, I live only about four miles from an AMA affiliated club field in Medfield.

-l2t
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mitre+...78.134766&z=15
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,058 Posts
Yes, Google Maps is super for finding possible new sites. Here's a full-screen version:
http://www.fullscreensearch.com/
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,730 Posts
Our long-time flying field is now a furniture store. I share your feelings.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:20 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
You all have my sympathy... Over many years of flying we've lost several nice flying fields. We are lucky now to have one we lease from the local parks department in an area of a county park that would otherwise not be used and it's 10 min from home. I love it, I just hope things don't change in the future and we lose it.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Drive-bys don't always tell the story. Some nice fields are hidden from the main road.
That's sure the truth. One of the fields I found was in the middle of an old industrial area that can't be seen from any generally travel road. It was an out of the way road under a bridge that lead to it.
TheRocksKid is offline Find More Posts by TheRocksKid
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
I know the feeling, it has happened to me several times. You can't fight city sprawl.
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds