HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!!!!! It was a broken wire............geez...........Anyways, it took I was able to flash my KK Ver 5.5 to X mode and went onto my HK KK and flashed it with 4.7. I'm a flashin fool now
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Last edited by randall1959; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Congratulations. Yes the last image with the error message suggests that the programer itselfs worked but has no connection. That may be the board or teh cable. But you got the solution already.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
The fellow I got the programmer from had not soldered the wires onto the wires coming from the adapter plug. Probably pulled one apart while unfastening it from a board. Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped now.
Once I figured the problem out it all fell into place. I knew it had to be a hardware issue of some sort. I only took the wires apart as a last resort. Your "beer money" will be forthcoming Zero
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
The fellow I got the programmer from had not soldered the wires onto the wires coming from the adapter plug. Probably pulled one apart while unfastening it from a board. Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped now.
Once I figured the problem out it all fell into place. I knew it had to be a hardware issue of some sort. I only took the wires apart as a last resort. Your "beer money" will be forthcoming Zero
I will add a FAQ for the error message with the hint to check the connection.
Beer is welcome. I have to go to a big trade fair in Düsseldorf, Germany this week. Problem is that the people in Düsseldorf are not able to brew good beer

Christian
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:23 AM
Elizabethtown the Hub City of Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
119 Posts
So did your device manager show that your USB dongle is working properly?
When I checked mine it was not and I had to get a driver.

Kydave is offline Find More Posts by Kydave
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydave View Post
So did your device manager show that your USB dongle is working properly?
When I checked mine it was not and I had to get a driver.

That was the first thing I ran into and solved pretty quickly. The "fuse" error message came later.
Lazy Zero, is there any way to check a board to tell which firmware it has on it allready? A friend asked me this and I didn't know the answer. I told him to just write the firmware he wanted onto the board and he'd know for sure then.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
I will add a FAQ for the error message with the hint to check the connection.
Christian
Do you also have in the FAQ not to reflash the board while still in the quad? I reflashed one last night and today it would not fly. I tried a different rx and then it hit me that I had left everything hooked up.
So I unhooked all the leads, reflashed it, and it works perfectly now. I didn't get a long flight in but enough to tell it does fly differently and comes down from a long way up quite a bit smoother. It also stops better without a pitch up.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,288 Posts
Hmm I was able to flash mine all hooked up still in the frame. Did you have a battery hooked up?
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
No I didn't but I kept hearing a faint beeping like it was coming from an esc. Anyways, I reflashed it unhooked and all is well I do have one last question. How do you set the throttle range on the esc's? If it's unarmed until you throw the rudder over, how do you set them? Hook them up one at a time to the rx?
Edit: Instead of posting again, I went back and reset each esc directly to my rx and did the epa's. Now the quad hovers hands off. No trim needed. I can allready tell that this board flies better than either my old FY90Q or my GU344 at 1/5 the price.
Last edited by randall1959; Nov 14, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:44 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
I am currently trying to find an easy way to determin the firmware and version by reading Out the content of the flash. But the files differ a bit. But this feature will find its way to the tool.

Christian
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:47 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Hi Christian,

I used the "repository" firmware upload, and i don't find it easy to know if the program is still doing something or not. Is it possible to have some sort of progress bar of the overall upload (fuses, download, upload...)

The program seems doing nothing, but in fact it does! There is a big time gap between the fuses and the firmware.

And i always get an verification error after firmware upload...

Thanks,
manu

Code:
Flashing firmware from file.: X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex

C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.exe -C C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf -p m168 -P COM4 -c avrispv2 -D -F -B 8 -U flash:w:X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex:i 

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e940b
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
avrdude.exe: reading input file "X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex"
avrdude.exe: writing flash (15216 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 30.20s

avrdude.exe: 15216 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file X:\@RC\tricopter\kkmulticopterflashtool\tmp\xx15d_QUADX_M168_SF_EN.hex contains 15216 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 28.42s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0002
             0x98 != 0x10
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

Error during writing flash.
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:37 AM
Nederland, NB, Breda
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
I formerly used the 1.7 firmware, but want to upgrade to 4.7 due to the positive comments here.

Can someone explain the terminology mentioned by kapitan kuk?

"Added I-term on yaw axis

Added I-term anti wind-up, all axis

Changed potmeter usage:
Roll pot now controls P-term gain on roll/pitch axis.
Pitch pot now controls I-term gain on roll/pitch axis.
Yaw pot controls P-term on yaw axis as before. Yaw axis I-term is fixed at 0.2"

What is I-term and P-term about? I was used to setting the pots to in/decrease gyro compensation.
Dr.Gonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Gonzo
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:52 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
I formerly used the 1.7 firmware, but want to upgrade to 4.7 due to the positive comments here.

Can someone explain the terminology mentioned by kapitan kuk?

"Added I-term on yaw axis

Added I-term anti wind-up, all axis

Changed potmeter usage:
Roll pot now controls P-term gain on roll/pitch axis.
Pitch pot now controls I-term gain on roll/pitch axis.
Yaw pot controls P-term on yaw axis as before. Yaw axis I-term is fixed at 0.2"

What is I-term and P-term about? I was used to setting the pots to in/decrease gyro compensation.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1590

manuLRK
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Success ! after flying the KK board as a quad, i thought i would try the X factor (no pun intended) and i being a noob thought it would be the same config. So i spent 3 days pulling my hair out until i read this post and found out that the motor order has changed..doh.
So i quickly re-arranged the leads, set every pot to default, and it just poped up in the air, as if to say what kept you so long ??
I was gob smacked, on how stable it is, and so little Tx trim i had to give it.. the pot values were good, and so far i can't wait to fly it outside to see how it behaves..
Thanks to KaptainK for all his work.. :-)
apache64 is offline Find More Posts by apache64
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache64 View Post
I was gob smacked, on how stable it is, and so little Tx trim i had to give it.. the pot values were good, and so far i can't wait to fly it outside to see how it behaves..
Thanks to KaptainK for all his work.. :-)
I know.. I keep mine in the car now so I can fly it whenever. Not too many planes or helis have a permanent spot in my trunk.

I use 100% rates with 30% expo on ail/ele but I find rudder needs 120% for my tastes. Simply a little slower compared to a heli with an actual tail rotor.

It banks and yanks with the best of them.
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience