United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyenzo View Post
OK
on my quad X I found to reverse only yaw gyro

here I give you a little how to:

take your quad suspended on your arms or fixed on a stable system then give with little power on motors and start to tilt it on each of the tree axis

something happens like on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAuobuRbpZ8

if you notice that your push is being opposited by augmented spin of motors then the gyro of that axis is OK (ie it stabilizes oscillations)
if you notice the opposite behavior then you must switch otherwise the gyro will flip you quad in a while

I hope it will help
are your ESCs calibrated? why the double tone?
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:46 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
386 Posts
I would like to start using KapteinKUK's tricopter V1.6 firmware, but I could not find any documentation about it. I have benn using XXControl KR V2.9 by Minsoo Kim, but I would like to try out the P/I settings. I need some information about how to set it up and how to tune it. Someone plz help me.
Hasi is online now Find More Posts by Hasi
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:55 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Stranraer
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
KK 4.7 X firmware has now been flashed to my HK board...I have tested all stick throws (no props fitted) and all appear to be working as they should... motors all spooling up fine and dandy..

I have now put the quad away and I am practising flying a Syma X1, I am a noob and my thumbs need experience

will keep you guys updated as to how the scratch build flies once I am ready to take it outside
davyg is offline Find More Posts by davyg
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:01 PM
Trust me I'm an engineer!
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
131 Posts
This is my first quadcopter scratch built with balsa arms.
I am having a problem with the pot settings, when I use the recommended 50-0-50 it wobbles a lot. I found I have to turn the pots down to about 10-0-15 (%) to stop the wobble.
The trouble is sometimes I have the pots turned down so much it goes into setup mode.

I can adjust the sensitivity of the flight controls ok with tx rates, but how can I adjust the sensitivity of the gyro reaction?

I have read all 185 pages of posts.

Here is my setup;
KK multirotor control board V3 Flashed with KK4.7X standard firmware

At present trying different pot settings and working close to the following;
YAW 20%
Pitch 0-5%
Roll 20%

But according to KK posts these pots are now Roll=roll/pitch P
Pitch= roll/pitch i
Yaw= yaw

Orange R610 receiver

Spektrum DX6i TX, all servos reversed except throttle. All throws 100% Throttle trim down maximum.
radio battery is 8.4v 270mAH LIPO.

Props are 320mm diagonally between centres.

Props 5030

Motors, Hextronix 20gram Brushless
Outrunner 2300kv
Hobbyking 6A ESC 0.5A UBEC

Motor mounts epoxied to balsa arms and strong thread tied around the outside of the balsa arm and through the mount holes then glued with superglue.

#2 ESC powers RX
#3 ESC powers Control board

Weight 166 grams without battery

Batteries,
ZIPPY Flightmax 800mAh 2S1P 20C 49g
Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 3S 25~40C 45g
ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 3S1P 25C 89g this one tried out and lifts off at 1/4 throttle.

I have it hovering and can maneuver it around the yard ok but my main question is
how can I adjust the sensitivity of the gyro reaction?

I have installed AVR Qtouch studio and can open the firmware file, so I may have to alter the ScaleGyro setting to de-sensitize the gyros, yes?

Thanks to everyone in this thread who've provided many of the answers I needed up to date.
Gilbert Griffith is offline Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Last edited by Gilbert Griffith; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:52 PM
rkk
Joined Feb 2006
50 Posts
I am in the exact same situation. I'll be curious to see the answer.
rkk is offline Find More Posts by rkk
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:10 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,396 Posts
Quick question.

I have my v3.0 board working pretty well now. My only issue is I get quite a bit upward pitch when I put on a lot of throttle. I have been tweaking my pots and can't seem to eliminate it. I vaguely remember seeing something about it, I think kapteinkuk mentioned it somewhere.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:41 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Last sentence in this post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=73

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:09 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,396 Posts
Ahh there it is!... thanks Rob!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:25 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,396 Posts
Another discovery I made is using three blade props made the pitch-up much worse. I switched from these 3 blade props to these 2 blade props and noticed a remarkable performance difference and MUCH less pitch-up during hard accent.

I also noticed a major improvement in the ability of the 2 blade props to handle their own down-wash during decent.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,964 Posts
See post #73 for the Kaptein's recommendations. It worked for me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Griffith View Post
I am having a problem with the pot settings, when I use the recommended 50-0-50 it wobbles a lot. I found I have to turn the pots down to about 10-0-15 (%) to stop the wobble.
The trouble is sometimes I have the pots turned down so much it goes into setup mode.

I can adjust the sensitivity of the flight controls ok with tx rates, but how can I adjust the sensitivity of the gyro reaction?

Here is my setup;

YAW 20%
Pitch 0-5%
Roll 20%

Pitch= roll/pitch i
Yaw= yaw

Orange R610 receiver

Spektrum DX6i TX, all servos reversed except throttle. All throws 100% Throttle trim down maximum.

Props 5030

Outrunner 2300kv

Motor mounts epoxied to balsa arms and strong thread tied around the outside of the balsa arm and through the mount holes then glued with superglue.

#2 ESC powers RX

Batteries,
ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh 3S1P 25C 89g this one tried out and lifts off at 1/4 throttle.

I have it hovering and can maneuver it around the yard ok but my main question is

I have installed AVR Qtouch studio and can open the firmware file, so I may have to alter the ScaleGyro setting to de-sensitize the gyros, yes?

Thanks to everyone in this thread who've provided many of the answers I needed up to date.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Trust me I'm an engineer!
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
131 Posts
Thanks for all your replies.
I had already done everything mentioned in these 2700 odd posts, faithfully.Ha ha.
I have fixed the problem now by flashing the ESC'S after my son Marc gave me some orders/instructions. It seems that the standard ESC firmware is too slow to react and the new firmware is much faster.
Here is a link to his website http://www.rchacker.com/diy/simonk-e...mware-flashing.
The Hobbyking 6A ESC uses the same instructions and I asked Marc to post the photo of the 6A ESC showing the wiring connections to the usb-asp dongle.
I used the kk bs.hex firmware for all 4 motors, and rotation direction didn't change.
Also now I can turn up the P-pots to something closer to 50% without any wobble.

Hope this helps someone else as well.
Gilbert Griffith is offline Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:58 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
Another discovery I made is using three blade props made the pitch-up much worse. I switched from these 3 blade props to these 2 blade props and noticed a remarkable performance difference and MUCH less pitch-up during hard accent.

I also noticed a major improvement in the ability of the 2 blade props to handle their own down-wash during decent.
3 blade props are notable less efficient then there relative 2 bladed counterparts. I have never figured out why so many folks run 3 blades.

Nice to here you are getting a handle on it. The original KK design is not exactly an out of the box solution but once you understand how to tune it up it works quit well. Rolf was really on to something here.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:25 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
I would like to start using KapteinKUK's tricopter V1.6 firmware, but I could not find any documentation about it. I have benn using XXControl KR V2.9 by Minsoo Kim, but I would like to try out the P/I settings. I need some information about how to set it up and how to tune it. Someone plz help me.
^^^This^^^ is where I'm at aswell. Just got a Tri-frame & controller w/1.6 on it. Any help with where to go for setup specs would be great!

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:28 PM
reelflyt
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
48 Posts
Hi Gilbert.

I'm confused about some of the things that you posted here? Read bellow for questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Griffith View Post

Here is my setup;

YAW 20%
Pitch 0-5%
Roll 20%

Pitch= roll/pitch i
Yaw= yaw

Orange R610 receiver

I have a Spektrum DX6i TX and it uses 6 volts (4 x AA batteries) not 8.4 ?

Props 5030

Outrunner 2300kv

#2 ESC powers RX

All ESC plug into the FC board, and all the outputs from the RX plug into the FC board . The ESC power everything back through the FC .

Batteries,

I don't think that you have to go that far in to change the Gyros gain .
Look at the P as being an increase in Gyro gain and the I as being a
Exponent , or softener of your input . Hi P , and Low I
For reversing the motor direction you only change 2 of the 3 wires running to
the brushless motors.
Did you Use the ESC progaming board to rest some of the setting on your ESC's ?
reelflyt is offline Find More Posts by reelflyt
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
3 blade props are notable less efficient then there relative 2 bladed counterparts. I have never figured out why so many folks run 3 blades.

Nice to here you are getting a handle on it. ...

Rob...
Thanks again.

Have you ever run across a physics explanation of why a 2-blade prop does much better than a 3-blade when both are more or less equal in surface area and pitch angle? My guess is somehow 2-blades are better at accelerating stationary air or fairly slow moving air.