HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Discussion
Outrunner Motor for 2m sailplane

Hello all. I have a Tower Hobbies Vista EP 2m sailplane with a canned 550 motor. Can you suggest an outrunner motor that is inexpensive and a direct/drop in replacement for the stock motor. I plan on using 8 Nicads/NimH
or 3s lipo. Saw lots of BL motor at Hobby King but am not sure w/c one. Can you suggest a specific motor? Thank you.

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Last edited by electricrcflyer; Jun 20, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Try Low Price RC instead. Here is a good one for that plane.

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...oducts_id=1064

Never ever order anything from Hobby King that is on backorder, you will never see it or your money again. I don't recommend them.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:15 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Hey Ron, welcome to the world of RC electric gliders! The difference between a brushed can motor and a brushless roadrunner is significant. To keep the weight the same, you will get a LOT more power from the brushless, if you want to keep the power the same... you will need a lot of weight to balance. Note, my use of "lot" is subjective.

The 550 can motor is producing around 200 watts on an 8*4 or 8*6 prop. A decent little motor for the Gentle Lady class gliders is the KDA 2220-L from HOBBYKING. It will turn a 9*6 or 10*6 prop on 12 volts at 20-25 amps approx. On the lower voltage of the nihm packs, you may go up to 11*8 or so (just a guess!) The gliders really perform better with a larger diameter prop for thrust, and less emphasis on pitch speed. On my 2m gliders I run from 10 to 11 inch props.

You will also need a speed controller for brushless... get one with 10 amps.or so more capability than your projected need - under loading the components in the power set will ensure long life and happy parts.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Hi TopSpin and JimNM. Will either of the motors you suggested fit into a speed 500/600 type motor mount w/o modification? I really prefer not to do any modification.

Thanks,
Ron
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
Try Low Price RC instead. Here is a good one for that plane.

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...oducts_id=1064

Never ever order anything from Hobby King that is on backorder, you will never see it or your money again. I don't recommend them.
Strange.... recently I made two different purchases from Hobby King of stuff that was on back order.

Both orders have arrived and the wait was only a couple of weeks on each order.

One order was for 2.4 Ghz receivers and the other was for a load of clockwise and counter clockwise props.

I have never had any problem dealing with them and have spent a lot of money over several years worth of orders.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,929 Posts
Hi Ron,
I won't recommend a specific motor but I will strongly suggest you use 3S lipos. The power to weight advantage is significant and the lipos will be far better for a glider. You will need a proper balancing charger for the lipos but once you use them I doubt you will want to go back to nimh packs.

I was flying a lightweight glider this afternoon with 3S 1600 mAh lipo packs. and an Emax 2215-25 brushless outrunner. The glider weighs around 2 lbs and wingspan is approx 64 inches. It's built up balsa construction.

To climb, very quickly, to the limit of my eyesight takes only around 20 to 30 seconds. I time the pack so I run it for 3 minutes total motor runtime. That gives me several climbs to very high and leaves the lipos in a safe discharge state.

I had 1 hours flying with 3 lipo packs. The lipos are LoongMax and are 3 years or so old.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,318 Posts
Hey Ron, the mounting holes for this motor are on a 16mm by 19mm hole pattern. I believe that is the smart as your motor mount. note that some older 500/600 motors used a band around the body of the motor to the motor in place. The outrunner motors will not work with that style. Sorry if you already kniw that, but I don't want to lead you wrong by assuming that you already know this stuff.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2106
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Jun 20, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:20 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I'll post update when project is done.