SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Discussion
5 legged training gear

First off, I don't have any financial or other interest with the maker of this training gear. And it's expensive compared to the ones I can order for $2.00 (plus $5.00 shipping) from Hong Kong and a little more expensive than the $25 ones at my local shop. But, I ordered this training gear for my Walkera V500D01 and am really impressed with it. It also helps you cheat a little bit when trying to do nose in hovering because this gear allows the heli to rotate.

RC HELICOPTER TRAINING POD (4 min 6 sec)

Unfortunately, it's only for sale on eBay. I don't like eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TREX-450-SE-V2-B...QQcmdZViewItem
Allan Gibbs is offline Find More Posts by Allan Gibbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
Almost expert level crasher
Canada, ON, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Unfortunately, it's only for sale on eBay. I don't like eBay:
May I ask why you don't like eBay?
Mikey1 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey1
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
eBay killed my mother and raped my father and sold our family fortune. Seriously, I try to avoid eBay because of the scams (at least several years ago). If someone has a store front webpage and a physical address, I feel a little better than they may be a little more legit. But, Steven Johnson is legit.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
So, I got a got 6-7 minutes of hovering with this training gear and it works pretty well. Very easy to install. Doesn't effect the CG as much as I thought. The only draw back is the training gear does rotate a little while hovering and it can be a little distracting.

What I like about it vs. other training gear is that, with other training gear, I usually need zip ties to really hold thing in place. I've got a small trunk so that means, if I use my car instead of my wife's, then I need new zip ties each time I fly. With this kit, everything comes apart easily and back into the box.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
I've been trying to get hold of these here in Europe but without success.... anyone know a European supplier?
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
I couldn't get on with training gear, it was too much weight and acted like a pendulum making corrections difficult, as a newbie corrections instead of anticipation is inevitable, kind of ironic
I could hover and land much better without the training gear and I've not had one accident since removing it
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
I've been trying to get hold of these here in Europe but without success.... anyone know a European supplier?
I think this guy isn't really a company or business in the traditional sense. He just makes these on his own. You could try emailing him to see how much shipping would cost. His email is on the eBay link.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
I think this guy isn't really a company or business in the traditional sense. He just makes these on his own. You could try emailing him to see how much shipping would cost. His email is on the eBay link.
Its not the postage that is the problem... its the customs here in Finland anything from the USA attracts a customs charge of €27.50 euros just so thy can send a letter informing you that there is no taxes to pay
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
Hey hey allan. I bought from this same guy about two months ago and posted his vid here as well. Its great training gear. I only used it for about 2 weeks. Once you get your heli dialed in and set to perfection ther realy is no need for this gear anymore. But I give kudos to this guy. He makes awsome training gear from his garage. I told himm he needs to hurry up and make a patent or im all over this,, ha........p.s that bottom leg rotation your talking about. i just tightend up the lower nut real tight to stop this. very annoying and not nessesary. I also cut off about 4'' from all legs to help take alot of the vibration out and it sits a lil higher. ( thats good)
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Last edited by jenn123; Jun 20, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:27 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,297 Posts
Quite a few guys now are not starting out with training gear. It is much safer and easier to just mount a set of Trex500 or even Trex600 skids on your heli and go at it. They cost half as much, widen the stance considerably and don't grab the grass and topple the heli. There are dozens of posts at HF going on about this.

Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Quite a few guys now are not starting out with training gear. It is much safer and easier to just mount a set of Trex500 or even Trex600 skids on your heli and go at it. They cost half as much, widen the stance considerably and don't grab the grass and topple the heli. There are dozens of posts at HF going on about this.

Reminds of that Ludacris video where he has those big arms.

Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn123 View Post
Hey hey allan. I bought from this same guy about two months ago and posted his vid here as well. Its great training gear. I only used it for about 2 weeks. Once you get your heli dialed in and set to perfection ther realy is no need for this gear anymore. But I give kudos to this guy. He makes awsome training gear from his garage. I told himm he needs to hurry up and make a patent or im all over this,, ha........p.s that bottom leg rotation your talking about. i just tightend up the lower nut real tight to stop this. very annoying and not nessesary. I also cut off about 4'' from all legs to help take alot of the vibration out and it sits a lil higher. ( thats good)
I thought about tightening it but then I'd loose the ability to swivel the heli around for side on or nose in hover. I'm so focused on the heli that I don't really notice the rotating training gear.

I still think I need the trainning gear since I've fallen a victim of transitory lift several times while hovering. I'm kind of in a windy area so that may be the cause. Training gear has saved my landing skids several times.

Actually, I have a 4F200 that's sitting in a cabinet because I flew it without training gear (I didn't have one that fit a 200 class heli) and I came down really hard and broke the skids, tipp over and damaged the blades and main gear.

I guess the thing is, in the seven weeks or so, that I've been flying and repairing, I've dumped so much money into this hobby that the minor draw backs of training gear doesn't bother me. On the plus side, I haven't crashed in a while.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
Aircrafting is noisey...what?!
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Dec 2005
586 Posts
Put a wanted ad on the classifieds here looking for training gear and post your location to help someone find you locally! Or make your own with a drill bit and some wood working skills picked up in HS.
charlieoneseven is offline Find More Posts by charlieoneseven